Old 05-28-2011, 02:36 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default VirtualBox problem in F15

I reinstalled VB in my (fully updated) F15, using the x86_66 RPM from
the VB Downloads page. However when trying to start a saved Windows VM,
I get this:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Win7.
pdmblkcache#0: The VM is missing a block device. Please make sure the
source and target VMs have compatible storage configurations [ver=1
pass=final] (VERR_SSM_LOAD_CONFIG_MISMATCH).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {515e8e8d-f932-4d8e-9f32-79a52aead882}

I haven't touched my home directory where the VM is kept, so any light
on this would be welcome.

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Ed Greshko

> I haven't touched my home directory where the VM is kept, so any light
> on this would be welcome.

No info on your particular error. I don't see your issue on my Win2K,
and Vista guest. However, USBs don't work in any of my guests. So, I'm
not confident in the quality of Oracle's release for F15.

FWIW, I've put up my query on their forum and looked to see if anyone
posted about yours...nothing found.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On 27/05/11 22:22, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 10:36 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> I haven't touched my home directory where the VM is kept, so any light
>> on this would be welcome.
>>
> No info on your particular error. I don't see your issue on my Win2K,
> and Vista guest. However, USBs don't work in any of my guests. So, I'm
> not confident in the quality of Oracle's release for F15.
>
> FWIW, I've put up my query on their forum and looked to see if anyone
> posted about yours...nothing found.

OK, thanks. I haven't got as far as trying the USB stuff as I can't even
run my VM, but if USB doesn't work it's no use to me. I only run VB when
I want to update my iPhone.

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Ed Greshko

> OK, thanks. I haven't got as far as trying the USB stuff as I can't even
> run my VM, but if USB doesn't work it's no use to me. I only run VB when
> I want to update my iPhone.

FWIW I did file this to their bugtracker
http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8980

Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Steven Stern

> On 27/05/11 22:22, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/28/2011 10:36 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> I haven't touched my home directory where the VM is kept, so any light
>>> on this would be welcome.
>>>
>> No info on your particular error. I don't see your issue on my Win2K,
>> and Vista guest. However, USBs don't work in any of my guests. So, I'm
>> not confident in the quality of Oracle's release for F15.
>>
>> FWIW, I've put up my query on their forum and looked to see if anyone
>> posted about yours...nothing found.
>
> OK, thanks. I haven't got as far as trying the USB stuff as I can't even
> run my VM, but if USB doesn't work it's no use to me. I only run VB when
> I want to update my iPhone.
>
> poc

Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.

1) as root or via sudo, edit /etc/group
2) locate the vboxusers line and add yourself after the last colon
vboxusers:x:501:sdstern
3) save the file.
4) logout, login

--
-- Steve

Old 05-28-2011, 03:12 PM
Ed Greshko

On 05/28/2011 10:56 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.

Doh!

I hate when that happens.... Somehow I recall VBox giving a more
informative error message when you forgot one of the settings.

Thanks,
Ed

Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On 28/05/11 10:26, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 05/27/2011 10:37 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>>>
>>> No info on your particular error. I don't see your issue on my Win2K,
>>> and Vista guest. However, USBs don't work in any of my guests. So, I'm
>>> not confident in the quality of Oracle's release for F15.
>>>
>>> FWIW, I've put up my query on their forum and looked to see if anyone
>>> posted about yours...nothing found.
>>
>> OK, thanks. I haven't got as far as trying the USB stuff as I can't even
>> run my VM, but if USB doesn't work it's no use to me. I only run VB when
>> I want to update my iPhone.
>>
>> poc
>>

> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.
>
> 1) as root or via sudo, edit /etc/group
> 2) locate the vboxusers line and add yourself after the last colon
> vboxusers:x:501:sdstern
> 3) save the file.
> 4) logout, login

Cerainly. I started using the 4.x series on F14 and already dealt with this.

I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for my original problem though (Ed has
a USB problem; I don't or at least have no indication that I do since I
can't get that far).

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Steven Stern

On 05/28/2011 10:12 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 10:56 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
>> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.
>>

> Doh!
>
> I hate when that happens.... Somehow I recall VBox giving a more
> informative error message when you forgot one of the settings.
>
> Thanks,
> Ed

Also, for F15, you need to install the Extension Pack:
http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.8-71778.vbox-extpack

--
-- Steve

Old 05-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On 28/05/11 13:31, Steven Stern wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 10:12 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/28/2011 10:56 PM, Steven Stern wrote:
>>> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
>>> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.
>>>

>> Doh!
>>
>> I hate when that happens.... Somehow I recall VBox giving a more
>> informative error message when you forgot one of the settings.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ed
>>
> Also, for F15, you need to install the Extension Pack:
> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.8-71778.vbox-extpack

Good idea, but it didn't help in my case.

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
David

> On 28/05/11 13:31, Steven Stern wrote:
>>>>

>>> Doh!
>>>
>>> I hate when that happens.... Somehow I recall VBox giving a more
>>> informative error message when you forgot one of the settings.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Ed
>>>
>> Also, for F15, you need to install the Extension Pack:
>> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.8-71778.vbox-extpack
>
> Good idea, but it didn't help in my case.

There are two steps to the Extension Pack.

1) install it in the VBox GUI

2) *Run it* in the VM.

Did you do that too?

--