Old 05-29-2011, 04:17 AM
David

Default VirtualBox problem in F15

> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 21:09 -0400, David wrote:
>>> OK, I tried releasing it and got:
>>>
>>> Failed to detach the hard disk
>> (/home/poc/.VirtualBox/Win7.vdi)
>>> from the slot SATA Port 0 of the machine Win7.
>>>
>>> The machine is not mutable (state is Saved).
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> Okay. This is a 'from past experiences guess' here. Not dangerous and
>> damages nothing.
>>
>> Rename/MV the .Virtualbax file to 'something' memorable. This is the
>> VDI
>> config file. I *think* that your install has a confusion with the ID
>> of
>> the VDI and what the VDI ID actually is. This .Virtualbox file will be
>> recreated when you start the VBox GUI (which should show nothing and
>> then you chose to make a new entry. Do the config and select 'existing
>> HD' and point to the VD (Win7.dvi?) that you want to use.
>>
>> That *should* fix this. :-)
>
> I'm willing to try it but I want to be clear about what you're saying.
> Do you mean move/rename the .VirtualBox directory or some file within
> it?

First:

This is from memory because I do not actually have a system to look at
at this moment. On a business trip :-)

Second:

Nothing I said, confusing as it might have been, would have hurt your
install or your VM. I would not have done that to you. Promise.

Third:

I did not say this correctly. I meant to rename or Move Virtualbox.xml,
the configuration file that is inside .Virtualbox. That 'resets' the GUI
to not see anything (the clean slate0 without deleting anything. The GUI
should look like it did before you created the VM. Now creating a new VM
should offer you to actually creat a new on or use and exsting one. You
chose the existing one.

Again. Nothing here 'hurts' anything.

And now that I have completely scared the crap out of you :-) -- here
is a link to a Virtualbox user help list. There is no official Oracle
support but this is run by a 3rd party associated with the developers.
The list is followed by the developers all the way up to Dr. Frank who
is the original author of Virtualbox. A very nice and friendly low
traffic mailing list.

Post your problem clearly there, answer their questions, and if there is
an answer better than my mummbles you will get one. Quickly too.

register here:

or the forum is here:

<http://forums.virtualbox.org/>

which I don't find as good or as fast as the mailing list but the same
devs are there too.

Good luck. I am interested to hear of your eventual success.

--

David

Old 05-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 00:17 -0400, David wrote:

> >> (/home/poc/.VirtualBox/Win7.vdi)

> >> Okay. This is a 'from past experiences guess' here. Not dangerous and
> >> damages nothing.
> >>
> >> Rename/MV the .Virtualbax file to 'something' memorable. This is the
> >> VDI
> >> config file. I *think* that your install has a confusion with the ID
> >> of
> >> the VDI and what the VDI ID actually is. This .Virtualbox file will be
> >> recreated when you start the VBox GUI (which should show nothing and
> >> then you chose to make a new entry. Do the config and select 'existing
> >> HD' and point to the VD (Win7.dvi?) that you want to use.
> >>
> >> That *should* fix this. :-)
> >
> > I'm willing to try it but I want to be clear about what you're saying.
> > Do you mean move/rename the .VirtualBox directory or some file within
> > it?
[...]
> I did not say this correctly. I meant to rename or Move Virtualbox.xml,
> the configuration file that is inside .Virtualbox. That 'resets' the GUI
> to not see anything (the clean slate0 without deleting anything. The GUI
> should look like it did before you created the VM. Now creating a new VM
> should offer you to actually creat a new on or use and exsting one. You
> chose the existing one.

That did it. Many thanks.

poc

Old 05-29-2011, 03:22 PM
David

> On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 00:17 -0400, David wrote:

>>> I'm willing to try it but I want to be clear about what you're saying.
>>> Do you mean move/rename the .VirtualBox directory or some file within
>>> it?
> [...]
>> I did not say this correctly. I meant to rename or Move Virtualbox.xml,
>> the configuration file that is inside .Virtualbox. That 'resets' the GUI
>> to not see anything (the clean slate0 without deleting anything. The GUI
>> should look like it did before you created the VM. Now creating a new VM
>> should offer you to actually creat a new on or use and exsting one. You
>> chose the existing one.
>
> That did it. Many thanks.

Glad to be of help.

--

David

Old 05-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Gary Waters

> That did it. Many thanks.
>
> poc

How's USB working in that thing? ( ducking and rolling ) :-)

Old 05-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-05-29 at 11:52 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 11:11 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>

> > That did it. Many thanks.
> >
> > poc
> >

> How's USB working in that thing? ( ducking and rolling ) :-)

Perfectly.

poc

Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Mike Heitmann