Old 05-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Gary Waters

Default VirtualBox problem in F15

> On 28/05/11 10:26, Steven Stern wrote:

>>> OK, thanks. I haven't got as far as trying the USB stuff as I can't even
>>> run my VM, but if USB doesn't work it's no use to me. I only run VB when
>>> I want to update my iPhone.
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
>> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.
>>
>> 1) as root or via sudo, edit /etc/group
>> 2) locate the vboxusers line and add yourself after the last colon
>> vboxusers:x:501:sdstern
>> 3) save the file.
>> 4) logout, login
>
> Cerainly. I started using the 4.x series on F14 and already dealt with this.
>
> I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for my original problem though (Ed has
> a USB problem; I don't or at least have no indication that I do since I
> can't get that far).
>
> poc

Once I had everything in place I had to go into the setttings for each
VDI and add USB filters for each device. Once I did that everything fell
into place perfectly.

GW

Old 05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 17:16 -0400, David wrote:
> On 5/28/2011 5:02 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> Also, for F15, you need to install the Extension Pack:
> >> http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/4.0.8/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.0.8-71778.vbox-extpack
> >
> > Good idea, but it didn't help in my case.
>

> There are two steps to the Extension Pack.
>
> 1) install it in the VBox GUI
>
> 2) *Run it* in the VM.
>
> Did you do that too?

How do I run it in the VM if the VM won't start?

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
David

> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 17:16 -0400, David wrote:

>>> Good idea, but it didn't help in my case.
>>

>> There are two steps to the Extension Pack.
>>
>> 1) install it in the VBox GUI
>>
>> 2) *Run it* in the VM.
>>
>> Did you do that too?
>
> How do I run it in the VM if the VM won't start?

Sorry I got here late and I have missed that part. 'Looks shamefully
down at his feet'.

>From the GUI does > File > Virtual Media manager menu offer you the
option to 'delete' the VM. *Careful here* because you *remove* the
config listing (it says release (means disconnect) and then *remove*
(means remove from listing from the config) and then *delete* the files
to this you say *no*. A yes here would delete the VM.

Then you can add it back (might take a recreate with the option to use
an existing VM') to the GUI 'Storage' section.

I had something similar to what you describe and this fixed it for me.

Good luck. Get back. Hopefully with a success! story. :-) Hope I helped
and willing to help more if needed.
--

David

Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 18:18 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 01:49 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> Make sure your user account is in the vboxusers group or USB won't work.
> >> This was a change in the 4.x series on VirtualBox.
> >>
> >> 1) as root or via sudo, edit /etc/group
> >> 2) locate the vboxusers line and add yourself after the last colon
> >> vboxusers:x:501:sdstern
> >> 3) save the file.
> >> 4) logout, login
> >
> > Cerainly. I started using the 4.x series on F14 and already dealt with this.
> >
> > I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for my original problem though (Ed has
> > a USB problem; I don't or at least have no indication that I do since I
> > can't get that far).
> >
> > poc
> >

> Once I had everything in place I had to go into the setttings for each
> VDI and add USB filters for each device. Once I did that everything fell
> into place perfectly.

Once again: thanks all the same but I do not have a problem with USB. My
original question has nothing to do with USB, in fact it doesn't even
mention it. If I get as far as being able to run my VM then perhaps I
*will* have a USB problem, though I don't think so. If that day comes
then I'll be sure to ask again.

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 18:48 -0400, David wrote:
> On 5/28/2011 6:22 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> There are two steps to the Extension Pack.
> >>
> >> 1) install it in the VBox GUI
> >>
> >> 2) *Run it* in the VM.
> >>
> >> Did you do that too?
> >
> > How do I run it in the VM if the VM won't start?
>

> Sorry I got here late and I have missed that part. 'Looks shamefully
> down at his feet'.
>
> >From the GUI does > File > Virtual Media manager menu offer you the
> option to 'delete' the VM. *Careful here* because you *remove* the
> config listing (it says release (means disconnect) and then *remove*
> (means remove from listing from the config) and then *delete* the files
> to this you say *no*. A yes here would delete the VM.
>
> Then you can add it back (might take a recreate with the option to use
> an existing VM') to the GUI 'Storage' section.
>
> I had something similar to what you describe and this fixed it for me.
>
> Good luck. Get back. Hopefully with a success! story. :-) Hope I helped
> and willing to help more if needed.
> --
>
> David

OK, I tried releasing it and got:

Failed to detach the hard disk (/home/poc/.VirtualBox/Win7.vdi)
from the slot SATA Port 0 of the machine Win7.

The machine is not mutable (state is Saved).

poc

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Gary Waters

> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 18:18 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:

>>> Cerainly. I started using the 4.x series on F14 and already dealt with this.
>>>
>>> I'm afraid it doesn't do anything for my original problem though (Ed has
>>> a USB problem; I don't or at least have no indication that I do since I
>>> can't get that far).
>>>
>>> poc
>>>

>> Once I had everything in place I had to go into the setttings for each
>> VDI and add USB filters for each device. Once I did that everything fell
>> into place perfectly.
>
> Once again: thanks all the same but I do not have a problem with USB. My
> original question has nothing to do with USB, in fact it doesn't even
> mention it. If I get as far as being able to run my VM then perhaps I
> *will* have a USB problem, though I don't think so. If that day comes
> then I'll be sure to ask again.
>
> poc

My heartfelt apologies. I saw the word USB everywhere and figured,
naturally, that USB was involved. None of my VDI's worked either. I
simply removed, hit new, and re-added them with "use existing hard
disk." Everything fell into place. I'm sure this will be of little
assistance, but I enjoy typing into the great void.

GW

Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 19:14 -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
> My heartfelt apologies. I saw the word USB everywhere and figured,
> naturally, that USB was involved. None of my VDI's worked either. I
> simply removed, hit new, and re-added them with "use existing hard
> disk." Everything fell into place. I'm sure this will be of little
> assistance, but I enjoy typing into the great void.

It's really all Ed's fault for changing the subject :-)

poc

Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 AM
Ed Greshko

> It's really all Ed's fault for changing the subject

Guilty as charged.... :-)

Old 05-29-2011, 01:09 AM
David

> On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 18:48 -0400, David wrote:

>>> How do I run it in the VM if the VM won't start?
>>

>> Sorry I got here late and I have missed that part. 'Looks shamefully
>> down at his feet'.
>>
>> >From the GUI does > File > Virtual Media manager menu offer you the
>> option to 'delete' the VM. *Careful here* because you *remove* the
>> config listing (it says release (means disconnect) and then *remove*
>> (means remove from listing from the config) and then *delete* the files
>> to this you say *no*. A yes here would delete the VM.
>>
>> Then you can add it back (might take a recreate with the option to use
>> an existing VM') to the GUI 'Storage' section.
>>
>> I had something similar to what you describe and this fixed it for me.
>>
>> Good luck. Get back. Hopefully with a success! story. :-) Hope I helped
>> and willing to help more if needed.
>> --
>>
>> David
>
> OK, I tried releasing it and got:
>
> Failed to detach the hard disk (/home/poc/.VirtualBox/Win7.vdi)
> from the slot SATA Port 0 of the machine Win7.
>
> The machine is not mutable (state is Saved).
>
> poc

Okay. This is a 'from past experiences guess' here. Not dangerous and
damages nothing.

Rename/MV the .Virtualbax file to 'something' memorable. This is the VDI
config file. I *think* that your install has a confusion with the ID of
the VDI and what the VDI ID actually is. This .Virtualbox file will be
recreated when you start the VBox GUI (which should show nothing and
then you chose to make a new entry. Do the config and select 'existing
HD' and point to the VD (Win7.dvi?) that you want to use.

That *should* fix this. :-)

There is one more major possibility. Which will depend on the success or
failure of this and what your answer to this next as yet not needed
question.

I await your success reply Patrick.

--

David

Old 05-29-2011, 02:24 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 21:09 -0400, David wrote:
> > OK, I tried releasing it and got:
> >
> > Failed to detach the hard disk
> (/home/poc/.VirtualBox/Win7.vdi)
> > from the slot SATA Port 0 of the machine Win7.
> >
> > The machine is not mutable (state is Saved).
> >
> > poc
> >

> Okay. This is a 'from past experiences guess' here. Not dangerous and
> damages nothing.
>
> Rename/MV the .Virtualbax file to 'something' memorable. This is the
> VDI
> config file. I *think* that your install has a confusion with the ID
> of
> the VDI and what the VDI ID actually is. This .Virtualbox file will be
> recreated when you start the VBox GUI (which should show nothing and
> then you chose to make a new entry. Do the config and select 'existing
> HD' and point to the VD (Win7.dvi?) that you want to use.
>
> That *should* fix this. :-)

I'm willing to try it but I want to be clear about what you're saying.
Do you mean move/rename the .VirtualBox directory or some file within
it?

poc