Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM
"KC8LDO"

Default F15 Gnome desktop lockups anybody?

I just built a new i7-870 box to use with Linux. The F15 installation went
fine. However after using the desktop for some minutes it locked up tight.
Even the mouse quit working. Reinstalled without using the hardware specific
video driver. Seemed to work OK for a while then locked tight when I went to
look at the system utilities menu window.

I gave up messing with it and I'm trying F14 now. See how that works. not
sure if I have a hardware issue or not.

Anybody else had the Gnome 3 desktop lockup on them under F15? If so is
there a fix?

Regards,

Lee

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
CS DBA

not sure if it's related, I had lockups in KDE on F14. Do you have an
nvidia card? I installed the kmod-nvidia packages via yum, removed the
newly created /etc/X11/xorg.conf (x wouldn't start with it in place) and
removed the nouveau packages.

I haven't had a single lock up / system freeze since.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Alexander Volovics

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 06:04:12PM -0400, KC8LDO wrote:

> I just built a new i7-870 box to use with Linux. The F15 installation went
> fine. However after using the desktop for some minutes it locked up tight.
> Even the mouse quit working. Reinstalled without using the hardware specific
> video driver. Seemed to work OK for a while then locked tight when I went to
> look at the system utilities menu window.
>
> I gave up messing with it and I'm trying F14 now. See how that works. not
> sure if I have a hardware issue or not.
>
> Anybody else had the Gnome 3 desktop lockup on them under F15? If so is
> there a fix?

Yes I experienced regular lockups/freezes using Gnome3.
This was due to the nouveau driver. Though having some 3D
capabilities it obviously did not have what it takes to
sustain the Gnome3 shell. (And anyway performance was
very shaky). This was with an Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE.

In Gnome3 fallback mode the problems have disapeared.

Guess I will have to try the proprietary Nvidia drivers, sigh.

Alexander

Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/27/2011 03:20 PM, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> Guess I will have to try the proprietary Nvidia drivers, sigh.

Go to fedoraforum.org and follow the instructions for installing and
using kmod-nvidia instead of using the binary blob from the OEM. The
kmod gets updated for every kernel update (although sometimes it takes a
day or so) and you don't have to re-run the installer for every kernel
update. Not only that, the kmod doesn't need hacked versions of some of
the system files like the blob does.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 PM
"KC8LDO"