Old 05-27-2011, 03:01 PM
Gilboa Davara

Default Reverting evolution to Fedora 14

Hello all,

I've just upgraded my a couple of my machines to Fedora 15/x86_64 up
from Fedora 14 x86_64.
Sadly enough, due to large number of GNOME3 related issues, I'm
thinking about switching back to Fedora 14.

Here the problem: When I upgraded my netbook and fired up evolution,
it automatically upgraded my evolution DB.
Currently evolution is DOA - as I cannot send any emails without
crashing it [1].
So the question is rather simple: Can I somehow export the mail DB
back to a format that Fedora 14's evolution can read? (Assuming that I
can recover the DB's, among other thing evolution crashes seemed to
have corrupted the DB).

- Gilboa

Old 05-27-2011, 08:44 PM
N James Bridge

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 18:01 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've just upgraded my a couple of my machines to Fedora 15/x86_64 up
> from Fedora 14 x86_64.
> Sadly enough, due to large number of GNOME3 related issues, I'm
> thinking about switching back to Fedora 14.
>
> Here the problem: When I upgraded my netbook and fired up evolution,
> it automatically upgraded my evolution DB.
> Currently evolution is DOA - as I cannot send any emails without
> crashing it [1].
> So the question is rather simple: Can I somehow export the mail DB
> back to a format that Fedora 14's evolution can read? (Assuming that I
> can recover the DB's, among other thing evolution crashes seemed to
> have corrupted the DB).
>
> - Gilboa

I have also had a major problem with evolution in Fedora 15. I had made
a backup archive using evolution 2.32.2 in F14. F15 installs evolution
3.0 - and it worked fine until I tried to restore from the archive. That
seemed to work (including converting the database to a maildir format)
but then the program just hung indefinitely when trying to fetch mail.
Curiously, even if I turned off the send/receive function, there was one
folder which would not open, though all the others worked normally. (The
folder contained all the mail from this list!)

I have temporarily reverted to F14, where evolution 2.32 restored from
the archive without a hitch, and am now copying and pasting all the
emails I want saved into text files. Tedious, to say the least. Then I
can go back to F15 and start evolution with a clean sheet.
--
N James Bridge <james@xmas.demon.co.uk>

Old 05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 21:44 +0100, N James Bridge wrote:
> I have also had a major problem with evolution in Fedora 15. I had made
> a backup archive using evolution 2.32.2 in F14. F15 installs evolution
> 3.0 - and it worked fine until I tried to restore from the archive. That
> seemed to work (including converting the database to a maildir format)
> but then the program just hung indefinitely when trying to fetch mail.
> Curiously, even if I turned off the send/receive function, there was one
> folder which would not open, though all the others worked normally. (The
> folder contained all the mail from this list!)
>
> I have temporarily reverted to F14, where evolution 2.32 restored from
> the archive without a hitch, and am now copying and pasting all the
> emails I want saved into text files. Tedious, to say the least. Then I
> can go back to F15 and start evolution with a clean sheet.

I seem to have managed to solve the problem (knock wood) under F15 - at
least for now:
I backed-up all my important evolution files and user configurations
(~/.local/share/evolution, .bash*, .ssh, *.*gdb*, etc) and cleared all
the ~/.XXX files and directories - including the ~/.config/ and
~/.local.
Once I was done, I everything from scratch, including evolution (this
time under KDE 4.6).

As far as I can see, evolution is now working. (This was sent from
evolution under F15/KDE).
Hopefully I won't have to follow your footsteps and import/export my 700
+MB evolution DB back to Fedora 14.

- Gilboa

Old 05-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Gilboa Davara

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Gilboa Davara <gilboad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 21:44 +0100, N James Bridge wrote:
>> I have also had a major problem with evolution in Fedora 15. I had made
>> a backup archive using evolution 2.32.2 in F14. F15 installs evolution
>> 3.0 - and it worked fine until I tried to restore from the archive. That
>> seemed to work (including converting the database to a maildir format)
>> but then the program just hung indefinitely when trying to fetch mail.
>> Curiously, even if I turned off the send/receive function, there was one
>> folder which would not open, though all the others worked normally. (The
>> folder contained all the mail from this list!)
>>
>> I have temporarily reverted to F14, where evolution 2.32 restored from
>> the archive without a hitch, and am now copying and pasting all the
>> emails I want saved into text files. Tedious, to say the least. Then I
>> can go back to F15 and start evolution with a clean sheet.
>
> I seem to have managed to solve the problem (knock wood) under F15 - at
> least for now:
> I backed-up all my important evolution files and user configurations
> (~/.local/share/evolution, .bash*, .ssh, *.*gdb*, etc) and cleared all
> the ~/.XXX files and directories - including the ~/.config/ and
> ~/.local.
> Once I was done, I everything from scratch, including evolution (this
> time under KDE 4.6).
>
> As far as I can see, evolution is now working. (This was sent from
> evolution under F15/KDE).
> Hopefully I won't have to follow your footsteps and import/export my 700
> +MB evolution DB back to Fedora 14.
>
> - Gilboa

P.S. It still crashing from time to time, I'm still trying to figure
out what triggers the crash...

- Gilboa