FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Dj YB
 
Default F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

Hello,
on my other F14 installation did a preupgrade yesterday then rebooted and then
waited forever and nothing happened.

any idea what to do?

this is an installation on a usb flash drive which is working fine.
using nvidia display

Thanks for any hint,
YB.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Ian Malone
 
Default F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

On 27 May 2011 09:53, Dj YB <syehielb@t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> Hello,
> on my other F14 installation did a preupgrade yesterday then rebooted and then
> waited forever and nothing happened.
>
> any idea what to do?
>
> this is an installation on a usb flash drive which is working fine.
> using nvidia display
>
> Thanks for any hint,
> YB.

Hi,

How far does it get? Do you get to the blue starting screen (the one
with the Fedora logo-shaped progress meter)? Are you able to check the
kernel options in grub and see whether rhgb is there or not (maybe an
issue with nvidia drivers)? Were you using the standard kernel drivers
for your display under F14 (nv/nouveau) or had you installed the
nvidia ones? Also, how long is forever (my laptop had a problem which
caused boot to hang for 5 minutes)?

--
imalone
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM
birger
 
Default F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

Sitat Ian Malone <ibmalone@gmail.com>:

> How far does it get? Do you get to the blue starting screen (the one
> with the Fedora logo-shaped progress meter)? Are you able to check the
> kernel options in grub and see whether rhgb is there or not (maybe an
> issue with nvidia drivers)? Were you using the standard kernel drivers
> for your display under F14 (nv/nouveau) or had you installed the
> nvidia ones? Also, how long is forever (my laptop had a problem which
> caused boot to hang for 5 minutes)?

I have seen the same on all systems I have upgraded using preupgrade while
F15 was in RC state. It seems to hang completely right after grub with a
black screen and the cursor in the upper left corner. Just wait. And wait.
In the end it has always recovered and booted normally. I don't see this
once F15 is installed.

--
birger
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Ian Malone
 
Default F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

On 27 May 2011 10:32, Dj YB <syehielb@t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> On Friday May 27 2011 12:24:03 you wrote:
>> On 27 May 2011 09:53, Dj YB <syehielb@t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > on my other F14 installation did a preupgrade yesterday then rebooted and
>> > then waited forever and nothing happened.
>> >
>> > any idea what to do?
>> >
>> > this is an installation on a usb flash drive which is working fine.
>> > using nvidia display
>> >
>> > Thanks for any hint,
>> > YB.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> How far does it get? Do you get to the blue starting screen (the one
>> with the Fedora logo-shaped progress meter)? Are you able to check the
>> kernel options in grub and see whether rhgb is there or not (maybe an
>> issue with nvidia drivers)? Were you using the standard kernel drivers
>> for your display under F14 (nv/nouveau) or had you installed the
>> nvidia ones? Also, how long is forever (my laptop had a problem which
>> caused boot to hang for 5 minutes)?
>
> Hi,
>
> it see grub
>
> title Upgrade to Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
> * * * *kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> ks=hd:UUID=bee474b4-0ac7-46b9-bf27-9e81994e324c:/upgrade/ks.cfg
> * * * *initrd /upgrade/initrd.img
>
> I choose this upgrade and all i get is the blinking cursor in the upper left
> corner of the screen
> the longest I waited was about half an hour, in this time there seems to be no
> activity in the disk.
> pc is responding to keyboard Alt+Ctrl+Del and restart.
>

Best to send this reply to the list as I have no idea what's going on,
just trying to get some information that might help others figure it
out.

--
imalone
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Dj YB
 
Default F14->F15 after preupgrade boot hang

On Friday May 27 2011 12:42:27 Ian Malone wrote:
> On 27 May 2011 10:32, Dj YB <syehielb@t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> > On Friday May 27 2011 12:24:03 you wrote:
> >> On 27 May 2011 09:53, Dj YB <syehielb@t2.technion.ac.il> wrote:
> >> > Hello,
> >> > on my other F14 installation did a preupgrade yesterday then rebooted
> >> > and then waited forever and nothing happened.
> >> >
> >> > any idea what to do?
> >> >
> >> > this is an installation on a usb flash drive which is working fine.
> >> > using nvidia display
> >> >
> >> > Thanks for any hint,
> >> > YB.
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> How far does it get? Do you get to the blue starting screen (the one
> >> with the Fedora logo-shaped progress meter)? Are you able to check the
> >> kernel options in grub and see whether rhgb is there or not (maybe an
> >> issue with nvidia drivers)? Were you using the standard kernel drivers
> >> for your display under F14 (nv/nouveau) or had you installed the
> >> nvidia ones? Also, how long is forever (my laptop had a problem which
> >> caused boot to hang for 5 minutes)?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > it see grub
> >
> > title Upgrade to Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
> > kernel /upgrade/vmlinuz preupgrade
> > repo=hd::/var/cache/yum/preupgrade
> > ks=hd:UUID=bee474b4-0ac7-46b9-bf27-9e81994e324c:/upgrade/ks.cfg
> > initrd /upgrade/initrd.img
> >
> > I choose this upgrade and all i get is the blinking cursor in the upper
> > left corner of the screen
> > the longest I waited was about half an hour, in this time there seems to
> > be no activity in the disk.
> > pc is responding to keyboard Alt+Ctrl+Del and restart.
>
> Best to send this reply to the list as I have no idea what's going on,
> just trying to get some information that might help others figure it
> out.

following an advice to wait for the upgrade to begin I waited for about an
hour and then it started and finished properly.
next step to boot into the new F15 however I waited about 5 hours and gave up.
I think there should be some indication as to what is happening, a blinking
cursor really is not reassuring from a user point of view.

any advice as to how to proceed from here, except for longer waiting, which I
am going to try tonight, are welcome.

Thanks,
YB.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org