Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 AM
Tim

Default local IMAP server

Tim:
>> Fetchmail can run as a daemon, all by itself.

Timothy Murphy:
> Thanks for the suggestion.
> Will this work OK if I'm collecting mail from several sites?
> At present I've set the cron scripts to run at different times.

Mine does. My .fetchmailrc file has the details for several different
mailservices. Fetchmail runs as a background task and wakes up every X
seconds, stepping through the .fetchmailrc file one server at a time.

I posted an example of how it's set up a few days ago, in this thread.

NB: Don't set the interval too short. Service providers may start
blocking access for over-use. Or, another problem can be that your
fetchmail run might not finish completing before you ask it to do the
next run. I set mine for about 9 minute intervals.

> I think I occasionally get error messages that fetchmail
> has failed to collect mail from one site
> because it is still collecting from another site?

Sounds about right.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686