-   -   What on earth is mounted? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/530620-what-earth-mounted.html)

Tom H 05-25-2011 06:35 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
> in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
> the output from running "mount":
>
> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
>
> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
> output from the df command.
>
> This is just wayyyy confusing.
>
> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
> as they have always been?

Been meaning to install F15 to check this out because this happened to
me with the Alpha and I thought that I'd screwed up royally somewhere
or that F15 still wasn't ready for use/testing...

Michael Cronenworth 05-25-2011 06:39 PM

What on earth is mounted?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?

systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.

> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
> output from the df command.
>
> This is just wayyyy confusing.

You could file an enhancement to hide bind mounts by default.

> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
> as they have always been?

Not unless you go back to upstart as your init daemon.

Tom Horsley 05-25-2011 06:59 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On Wed, 25 May 2011 13:39:53 -0500
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> You could file an enhancement to hide bind mounts by default.

But I've got bind mounts of my own in f14 and they look like this
when I run "mount":

/caliban/home on /home type none (rw,bind)
/caliban/web-content/html on /var/www/html type none (rw,bind)

And those bind mounts don't show up in df

The mounts I see on f15 don't say "bind" anywhere, so they
are terribly confusing and I really wonder if they are
bind mounts.

Joe Zeff 05-25-2011 07:02 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On 05/25/2011 11:39 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> > Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
>> > They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
>> > There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
> systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.

...and the benefit of this is what? Please understand, I'm not
objecting to change if it's for the better. I do, however, distrust
change for its own sake, such as what's going on with Gnome 3.

As an example of "change for the better," when I first started using X,
it took me a little while to get used to having a desktop that was
bigger than the screen with a viewport that I could pan to different
parts of it, but after a little experimentation and practice, I grew to
love it. Then, it changed to multiple desktops; not really better, but
certainly easier for newcomers to understand.

Much of what's "under the hood" in Linux and X has been there,
essentially unchanged, for well over a decade. In computer terms,
that's several lifetimes. It's stayed that way because it's worked and
(AFAICT) didn't need changing. The attitude has always been "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it." Now, it's changing and I have to wonder:
was there something wrong with the old way, or is there something
significantly better about the new? If so, I'd like to know what it is,
not because I'm resistant to change but because I'd like to learn.

Back when I did tech support for an ISP, I turned myself into a Windows
Internals geek. Now that I run Linux, I'm something of a Linux
Internals geek. I may not be able to follow the code any more, but I
can at least familiarize myself with what programs are doing what and why.

Sorry for such a long post, but I felt it important to explain why I'm
asking and what kind of answer I'm looking for.

suvayu ali 05-25-2011 07:28 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> ...and the benefit of this is what?

If you mean what is the need for systemd, this page might help:

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html

AFAIU systemd is more of a feature enhancement rather than bug fix. So
if you strictly adhere to "don't change what is not broken" then this
falls outside that category. But then again this is Fedora, known to
live on the bleeding edge of *nix technologies.

Hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Michael Cronenworth 05-25-2011 07:49 PM

What on earth is mounted?

Tom Horsley wrote:
> The mounts I see on f15 don't say "bind" anywhere, so they
> are terribly confusing and I really wonder if they are
> bind mounts.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. :)

The release notes[1] don't make good light of the changes systemd[2]
brought, unfortunately. The times I've seen the mounts from systemd
mentioned they were called bind mounts, but yes, I don't see "bind" in
the mount options either. I cannot find any documentation that makes
light of what they really are. You are best off asking your question on
the devel list or sifting through the systemd code base.

[1]
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Release_Notes/sect-Release_Notes-Changes_for_SysAdmin.html#sect-RelNotes-Boot
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd

Joe Zeff 05-25-2011 07:50 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On 05/25/2011 12:28 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> If you mean what is the need for systemd, this page might help:
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html
>
> AFAIU systemd is more of a feature enhancement rather than bug fix. So
> if you strictly adhere to "don't change what is not broken" then this
> falls outside that category.

Thank you. If there's a better way to do something, the old way could
be considered broken by comparison. I notice that there's not only no
comments, there doesn't seem to be a way to enter them. Of course, with
the author warning us that he's going to remove any comments he finds
off-topic, inappropriate or offensive, we have no way of knowing if
there've been any comments because he hasn't said he'd leave comments
making polite criticism. (Not that I think he's done that, it's just
that he hasn't said he wouldn't. Among other things, I'm a writer; I
probably pay closer attention to words and how they're used than most
people do.)

Tom H 05-25-2011 08:13 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:

>> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
>> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
>> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.

Is there an explanation of why? (I'm planning to install F15 this
weekend and read through Lennart's "systemd for admins" posts so maybe
I'll find the answer there.)

>> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
>> output from the df command.
>>
>> This is just wayyyy confusing.
>
> You could file an enhancement to hide bind mounts by default.

Google yields lsblk as a having a more civilized output...

Phil Meyer 05-25-2011 08:27 PM

What on earth is mounted?

On 05/25/2011 12:17 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
> in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
> the output from running "mount":
>
> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
>
> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
> output from the df command.
>
> This is just wayyyy confusing.
>
> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
> as they have always been?

Hha! That's nothing. I raise you.

Here is my fstab:

# cat /etc/fstab

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Thu Mar 10 01:14:06 2011
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
UUID=f73ffe10-516a-47a5-b139-d52f36b1d58e /
ext4 defaults 1 1
UUID=cd1e4fc9-26cb-463f-973f-067490589686 /boot
ext4 defaults 1 2
UUID=33d692f2-f40f-4121-844a-8fbd74aced41 /home
btrfs defaults 1 2
UUID=9866462a-0124-49d8-a8d2-0f2248a683ab swap
swap defaults 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

Here is the output of mount:

# mount
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
/sys on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs
(rw,nosuid,relatime,size=4082156k,nr_inodes=102053 9,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda3 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/ns type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,ns)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
systemd-1 on /dev/mqueue type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=29,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,m axproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=30,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,m axproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /dev/hugepages type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=31,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,m axproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /sys/kernel/security type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=32,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,m axproto=5,direct)
systemd-1 on /sys/kernel/debug type autofs
(rw,relatime,fd=34,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,m axproto=5,direct)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,relatime)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sda3 on /var/tmp type ext4 (rw,relatime,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /home type btrfs (rw,relatime)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup
(rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)

Harald Hoyer 05-25-2011 08:32 PM

What on earth is mounted?

Am 25.05.2011 um 20:39 schrieb Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com>:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
>> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
>> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.
>

>> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
>> output from the df command.
>>
>> This is just wayyyy confusing.
>
> You could file an enhancement to hide bind mounts by default.
>

>> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
>> as they have always been?
>
> Not unless you go back to upstart as your init daemon.
> --

Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!

# chkconfig sandbox off

Then reboot.