Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default What on earth is mounted?

On 05/28/2011 02:09 AM, Javier Perez wrote:
> What is the sandbox and why do I need/want one?
> Thanks

https://lwn.net/Articles/334737/

http://video.linux.com/video/1565

Rahul

Old 05-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 05/26/2011 11:43 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2011, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>
>> Harald Hoyer wrote:
>>> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!
>>
>> Yes, this was not documented in the release notes. It is part of
>> SELinux/pam_namespace usage.
>
> I've been looking, but I haven't found it.
> If I do find it, will it answer the question?
>
> On Wed, 25 May 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
>> in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
>> the output from running "mount":
>>
>> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3
>> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=$
>> /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3
>> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barri$
>> /dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3
>> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,b$
>> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3
>> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barr$
>>
>> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
>> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
>> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> Whatever is doing it, what is being done?
> Is the same partition really on four different mount points?
> To me, the above looks rather scary,
> rather like my first encounter with LVM.
> It was in the middle of an install.
>
> To me, the most important thing that should be in release
> notes is what will break from an extant release.
> The next is what will look different enough to be scary.
> I'm not sure which this falls under.

This has been like this for many releases. All the way back to RHEL5,
has this.

There is an open bug on pam_namespace that will hopefully eliminate the
need for this.

When you use namespaces on mount tables you need to separate out file
systems, so you can say something like I want these file systems shared
with the entire system, while these other file systems private the each
namespace. pam_namespace sets up a private namespace on $HOME and /tmp.
In order to do this is needs /tmp and $HOME to be on their own file
system. Therefore the init script bind mounts /tmp on /tmp and /home
on /home causing the problem you are seeing. It also executes the
appropriate commands to make "/" shared and /tmp and /home private.

If you do not use pam_namespace or sandbox you can disable the init
script and on the next boot the problem will go away.

sandbox tool now is smart about setting up these private/bind mounts
when you run the sandbox, rather then making them the system defaults.
I wrote a patch for this for pam_namespace, when the patch is applied
to pam_namespace, I will ask systemd to setup "/" as shared and remove
the init script altogether.