Old 05-25-2011, 09:19 PM
Tom Horsley

Default What on earth is mounted?

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:27:48 -0600
Phil Meyer wrote:

> Hha! That's nothing. I raise you.

Yea, I got all the cgroup stuff as well, but I figure that can be
explained. Four separate mounts of the same partition was
beyond my comprehension though :-).

Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Tom Horsley

On Wed, 25 May 2011 22:32:41 +0200
Harald Hoyer wrote:

> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!
>
> # chkconfig sandbox off
>
> Then reboot.

By golly, you are right! I turned off sandbox and now only
one directory is mounted on my root partition (the expected /).
Much less confusing. Still have lots of cgroup stuff, but
it doesn't look like a disk, so it is easy to ignore.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Michael Cronenworth

Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!

Yes, this was not documented in the release notes. It is part of
SELinux/pam_namespace usage.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:13 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
> Harald Hoyer wrote:
>> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!
>
> Yes, this was not documented in the release notes. It is part of
> SELinux/pam_namespace usage.

Is there any wiki or manpage I can look at to better understand how
this works? A quick glance at the systemd wiki page shows only
instructions on usage, not discussions about how it works.

--
Suvayu

Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 05/26/2011 03:43 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Michael Cronenworth <mike@cchtml.com> wrote:
>> Harald Hoyer wrote:
>>> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!
>> Yes, this was not documented in the release notes. It is part of
>> SELinux/pam_namespace usage.
> Is there any wiki or manpage I can look at to better understand how
> this works? A quick glance at the systemd wiki page shows only
> instructions on usage, not discussions about how it works.

As already noted, this isn't related to systemd but in case, you are
looking for systemd documentation, here is a comprehensive list of them

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#systemd_documentation

Rahul

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> As already noted, this isn't related to systemd but in case, you are
> looking for systemd documentation, here is a comprehensive list of them
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#systemd_documentation

Thanks Rahul, earlier I think I had misunderstood the comment about sandbox.

--
Suvayu

Old 05-26-2011, 03:03 AM
"Clyde E. Kunkel"

On 05/25/2011 04:27 PM, Phil Meyer wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 12:17 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> <snip>
>
> Here is the output of mount:
>
> <snip>

Mount now gives you /proc/mounts.

Look at findmnt --help for the new way to review mounted filesystems,
etc. I use:

findmnt -m -u -o SOURCE,TARGET,FSTYPE -t ext2,ext3,ext4,btrfs,vfat,swap

inside a shell script to get behavior similar to the way mount used to
report.

OldFart

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Gabriel VLASIU

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 14:17:14 -0400
> From: Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com>
> To: Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Subject: What on earth is mounted?
>
> I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
> in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
> the output from running "mount":
>
> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=0,data=ordered)
>
> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
>
> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
> output from the df command.
>
> This is just wayyyy confusing.
>
> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
> as they have always been?
I had the same problem. Very annoying!

So I switch back to upstart (yum install upstart), made some minor tweaks
(created directory /var/run/dbus so messagebus will start, removed
/etc/mtab link, touch /etc/mtab, touch /etc/init.conf, added
id:5:initdefault: to /etc/inittab), added init=/sbin/upstart to grub.conf
and everything work fine now!

Gabriel

- --

// Gabriel VLASIU
//
// OpenGPG-KeyID : 0xE684206E
// OpenGPG-Fingerprint: 0C3D 9F8B 725D E243 CB3C 8428 796A DB1F E684 206E
// OpenGPG-URL : http://www.vlasiu.net/public.key

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> Harald Hoyer wrote:
>> Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!
>
> Yes, this was not documented in the release notes. It is part of
> SELinux/pam_namespace usage.

I've been looking, but I haven't found it.
If I do find it, will it answer the question?

On Wed, 25 May 2011, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
> in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
> the output from running "mount":
>
> /dev/sda2 on / type ext3
> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrie r=$
> /dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3
> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barri$
> /dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3
> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,b$
> /dev/sda2 on /home type ext3
> (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barr$
>
> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?

Whatever is doing it, what is being done?
Is the same partition really on four different mount points?
To me, the above looks rather scary,
rather like my first encounter with LVM.
It was in the middle of an install.

To me, the most important thing that should be in release
notes is what will break from an extant release.
The next is what will look different enough to be scary.
I'm not sure which this falls under.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Javier Perez

What is the sandbox and why do I need/want one?Thanks*JP

>> Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?

>> They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.

>> There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?

> systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.

>> They also all show up with identical free space entries in the

>> output from the df command.

>> This is just wayyyy confusing.

> You could file an enhancement to hide bind mounts by default.

>> Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories

>> as they have always been?

> Not unless you go back to upstart as your init daemon.

> --

Most of them are from the sandbox init script .... NOT from systemd!!

# chkconfig sandbox off

Then reboot.

*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com