Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
FHDATA

Default Curious about fedora laptop mailing list

Hello,

has almost no traffic (only a few posts in this calendar year).

As person who might be shopping for laptop to put Fedora on
I am curious.... Does list's no traffic mean that generally
speaking these days, fedora runs technically hassle-free on
most laptops?

Thanks,

Old 05-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Dimitris Glaros

the most user using other list or the local community* or IRC to take support!and the problems in laptop-netbook* is know!!!!!

like
don't take laptop-netbook with graphic card poulsbo
gma500........NEVER!!!!! the last 1,5 years i have spend many time to
make play.........i trade my netbook with other netbook!!!!

Dimitris Glaros
dimitrisglaros@gmail.com

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Camilo Mesias

There are still issues, often minor things like suspend / resume not
working, wireless being less than 100% perfect, power management being
less than perfect... etc. Some you can put up with.

I'm currently buying a new wireless card for my netbook as there is a
hard to diagnose bug with the driver for the default one. It's
hopefully a $10 cure when tracking down the bug could take a lot of
effort.

-Cam

Old 05-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Camilo Mesias

Old 05-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 14:13 -0400, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> There are still issues, often minor things like suspend / resume not
> working, wireless being less than 100% perfect, power management being
> less than perfect... etc.

Depending on your laptop... My ASUS laptop seems to work properly,
albeit it's still on Fedora 9.

The hard part being that if your hardware isn't supported, or works
badly, it's next to impossible to change it. Only a few things are
plug-in modules, and your choice of alternatives may be very small.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:20 PM
"Dexter L. Pearson"

Almost. As a matter of fact, the best thing to do is to hit the HCLs
before you install. It's also key to test your flavor of Fedora before
you try installing to your production environment. Sometimes, you may
find a warning about a device or system brand that's never been stated
before.

I myself have a couple of folks to write back to after discovering the
reason why my laptop won't draw an IP from my ISP. The linux TG3 driver
for the Broadcom family of wired NICs doesn't work for the 64-bit
version of Fedora. It does work naturally for the 32-bit versions
without issue, but not for 64-bit. Now, I have a low-profile PCMCIA card
to buy. What I didn't know was that someone showed me an article from
where folks with Fedora Core 7 (64-bit) were having issues with this
driver, and it's not yet been resolved well to this day.

Definitely don't be afraid to research and test well before you go live.
If you find something stupid or aggravating, document it and share,
whether here or Bugzilla.