Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM
JD

Default Mounting cifs

On 05/27/11 05:03, Tim wrote:
> If, and I mean if, being zapped was the cause, then that could well be
> the nature of the fault. Damage to components that allow a charge to
> build up that causes stuff ups.
>
> Faulty equipment can behave in weird ways. I've been servicing
> electronics equipment for over twenty years, and it's quite hard to
> relate broken equipment behaviour to how things are expected to work.
>
> That's possible. Or just a strange compatibility between yours and
> theirs. Or you've firewalled things off, too much, and broken basic
> networking.
As this is a new development that started AFTER at&t
flashed the modem with new firmware, I doubt it is
faulty or zapped equipment. I don't believe in those
kinds of co-incidences.
AFA compatibility, I think we are reaching for a hare's
horn

> In the best of worlds, you'd reconfigure their modem/router to act as
> just a bare-bones modem (bridge mode), so there's less processing
> between modem and your own router.
That modem cannot be configured as you describe.
> Can you not replace it, yourself, with something equivalent? Does using
> that ISP absolutely require their equipment?
Obviously you have not used at&t uverse service
Without THEIR modem nothing works. Uverse is a
package: TV, Internet, Phone services. Decryption
of the TV signal occurs in the modem, and is then
sent out the same cable on a different frequency,
which is then picked up by each TV's at&t' STB.
The modem just has piggybacked into it the WIFI
and ethernet card.
> Can you break it, accidentally on purpose? ;-)
I think the owner could ask them to replace it.
but I do not believe that is the problem. Everything
works except for the comm between the LAN
clients. That is why I do not believe in the "zapped"
theory.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 08:19 -0700, JD wrote:
> Obviously you have not used at&t uverse service

No... Wrong country

> Without THEIR modem nothing works. Uverse is a
> package: TV, Internet, Phone services. Decryption
> of the TV signal occurs in the modem, and is then
> sent out the same cable on a different frequency,
> which is then picked up by each TV's at&t' STB.
> The modem just has piggybacked into it the WIFI
> and ethernet card.

Sounds like you're stuck, then. I've never been keen on these bundled
things, as they tend to be jack of all trades, master of none. And you
end up putting up with something that's bad, or separately handling it,
with the multi-device sitting there to taunt you that you still need
several devices, or services, instead of the all-in-one.

Trying to route through some things just plain sucks. Back in 1998, I
dabbled with using a Windows box as the NAT box between dial-up and the
LAN. It was dreadful. Apart from the usual crashes, it was slow, and
often needed restarting. Changing over to using a Linux computer as the
NAT device made a remarkable difference. Things were reliable, and
traffic was surprisingly much faster.

You get the same with some hardware. Some modem/router devices are just
awful. Sometimes they can be improved by upgrading their firmware, and
sometimes going back to a prior version improves things.

About all you can do is keep hassling your service provider about this,
letting them know that it's got worse, maybe you'll get a different help
desk staff member one day who can actually change something to the
better.

Their all-in-one service is, most likely, aimed at the average computer
illiterate person who has one or two computers, doesn't really do
anything special with them, is used to general Windows crappiness, and
will also put up with the same crappiness in other gear, because they
don't know any better. Technology, on a whole, seems to be going in
that direction.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:52 AM
JD

On 05/27/11 16:59, Tim wrote:
> Their all-in-one service is, most likely, aimed at the average computer
> illiterate person who has one or two computers, doesn't really do
> anything special with them, is used to general Windows crappiness, and
> will also put up with the same crappiness in other gear, because they
> don't know any better. Technology, on a whole, seems to be going in
> that direction
You hit the nail on the head. All the owners are concerned
about are the TV shows and email and web. And that's it.
But when it comes to asking me to help with making the
wifi-capable printer be accessible to all machines, or to
transfer photos from one computer to another, I have to
tell them I must reboot the router, and then, even then, I
have only 20 to 30 minutes of transfer time, after which
the router will clamp down on inter-lan traffic and I have
to start all over again. I explain to them that they must
force the isp to fix it.
So far, no go.