FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-26-2011, 04:29 AM
JD
 
Default Mounting cifs

On 05/25/11 21:09, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/25/2011 08:37 PM, JD wrote:
>> I wish I could do that - but the owner is not I
> Understood. Please note that I didn't suggest drilling any holes or
> anything like that. My sister and I share a house; I'd like to do some
> drilling to shorten cable-runs but the house is in her name and she
> doesn't like the idea. That's why I suggested running it along the
> wall. (If you have enough furniture in the right place, you don't even
> need staples.)
The owner is of the opinion that it would not help
the sale price if any of the carpets were lifted off
the nails because it would be evident to the observant
buyer

But hate to say we are way off topic.

Geting back to which is: the darned router is
the guilty appliance in shutting comm between
the 3 clients 20-30 minutes after power cycling
it. What a piece of "dodgey" equipment, as our
friends across the big pond would say
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Rich
 
Default Mounting cifs

Just a shot in the dark, but do you have multiple dhcp daemons running
on the network. Your router probably has one running. I could buy that
multiple dhcp daemons might cause something like what you describe.
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3661 - Release Date: 05/26/11 02:34:00
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Rich
 
Default Mounting cifs

Just a shot in the dark, but do you have multiple dhcp daemons running
on the network. Your router probably has one running. I could buy that
multiple dhcp daemons might cause something like what you describe.
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3661 - Release Date: 05/26/11 02:34:00
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Tim
 
Default Mounting cifs

Tim:
>> I've had two modem routers go bad, I suspect they've been zapped up
>> the phone line during thunderstorms.

JD:
> This thing connects to the coax cable in the wall. The at&t
> uverse system is on fiber-optic cable until it gets to the curb
> by the development. From there it is on buried coax to homes.

Doesn't meant it hasn't been zapped from another route (static inside
the house, hotplugging equipment, poor anti-static precautions when the
unit was built), or has simply failed.

>> I like to take modem/routers out of my networking. Everything in my
>> LAN connects to a switch, and that has one ethernet cable leading to
>> the modem router.

> If our house were wired for cat5 or cat6 in every room,
> I would agree. Since that is not the case, 2 machines have
> to be wireless, except for win7, which is a desktop and on
> that desk is the router.

You don't have to use /their/ crappy thing for your wireless. You could
use your own wireless access point within your LAN.

I'm presuming you're persevering with using it because you're encumbered
with it by your ISP. If you're stuck with it, and it is faulty, I'd be
getting more snarky with the ISP about getting it swapped. Seeing as
you're paying for it, one way or another.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Tim
 
Default Mounting cifs

Tim:
>> I've had two modem routers go bad, I suspect they've been zapped up
>> the phone line during thunderstorms.

JD:
> This thing connects to the coax cable in the wall. The at&t
> uverse system is on fiber-optic cable until it gets to the curb
> by the development. From there it is on buried coax to homes.

Doesn't meant it hasn't been zapped from another route (static inside
the house, hotplugging equipment, poor anti-static precautions when the
unit was built), or has simply failed.

>> I like to take modem/routers out of my networking. Everything in my
>> LAN connects to a switch, and that has one ethernet cable leading to
>> the modem router.

> If our house were wired for cat5 or cat6 in every room,
> I would agree. Since that is not the case, 2 machines have
> to be wireless, except for win7, which is a desktop and on
> that desk is the router.

You don't have to use /their/ crappy thing for your wireless. You could
use your own wireless access point within your LAN.

I'm presuming you're persevering with using it because you're encumbered
with it by your ISP. If you're stuck with it, and it is faulty, I'd be
getting more snarky with the ISP about getting it swapped. Seeing as
you're paying for it, one way or another.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM
JD
 
Default Mounting cifs

On 05/26/11 06:46, Rich wrote:
> Just a shot in the dark, but do you have multiple dhcp daemons running
> on the network. Your router probably has one running. I could buy that
> multiple dhcp daemons might cause something like what you describe.

$ ps -ef | grep dhcp
jd 12817 5530 0 07:35 pts/2 00:00:00 grep dhcp

machines win7 and xp1 are not servers, so no dhcp
services are running on them. All 3 machines have
had static IP's for more than3 years. This problem
is a recent one after AT&T remotely flashed the
modem with new firmware.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
JD
 
Default Mounting cifs

On 05/26/11 07:18, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> I've had two modem routers go bad, I suspect they've been zapped up
>>> the phone line during thunderstorms.
> JD:
>> This thing connects to the coax cable in the wall. The at&t
>> uverse system is on fiber-optic cable until it gets to the curb
>> by the development. From there it is on buried coax to homes.
> Doesn't meant it hasn't been zapped from another route (static inside
> the house, hotplugging equipment, poor anti-static precautions when the
> unit was built), or has simply failed.
But how can you explain that a power reset (without letting
it cool down), makes all three machine be able to communicate
and 20-30 minutes later, they cannot?
>>> I like to take modem/routers out of my networking. Everything in my
>>> LAN connects to a switch, and that has one ethernet cable leading to
>>> the modem router.
>> If our house were wired for cat5 or cat6 in every room,
>> I would agree. Since that is not the case, 2 machines have
>> to be wireless, except for win7, which is a desktop and on
>> that desk is the router.
> You don't have to use /their/ crappy thing for your wireless. You could
> use your own wireless access point within your LAN.
I tried. I attached my ow router to the att router.
And guess what, the latency is so horrible for EVERY
packet, that it makes it useless. It's as if heir router
firmware does not seem to like to receive NATed packets?
> I'm presuming you're persevering with using it because you're encumbered
> with it by your ISP. If you're stuck with it, and it is faulty, I'd be
> getting more snarky with the ISP about getting it swapped. Seeing as
> you're paying for it, one way or another.
I assure you I tried. They "analyze" the problem from remote
and say they cannot find any problem with the router.
If it were up to me I would get rid of them faster than light speed


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Rich
 
Default Mounting cifs

On 5/26/2011 10:38 AM, JD wrote:
> On 05/26/11 06:46, Rich wrote:
>> Just a shot in the dark, but do you have multiple dhcp daemons running
>> on the network. Your router probably has one running. I could buy that
>> multiple dhcp daemons might cause something like what you describe.
>
> $ ps -ef | grep dhcp
> jd 12817 5530 0 07:35 pts/2 00:00:00 grep dhcp
>
> machines win7 and xp1 are not servers, so no dhcp
> services are running on them. All 3 machines have
> had static IP's for more than3 years. This problem
> is a recent one after AT&T remotely flashed the
> modem with new firmware.

I'm sure you already tried this, but just in case, have you tried
turning off each of the three machines one at a time and seeing if the
same problem occurs with just two machines on the network?
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3661 - Release Date: 05/26/11 02:34:00
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM
JD
 
Default Mounting cifs

On 05/26/11 12:23, Rich wrote:
> On 5/26/2011 10:38 AM, JD wrote:
>> On 05/26/11 06:46, Rich wrote:
>>> Just a shot in the dark, but do you have multiple dhcp daemons running
>>> on the network. Your router probably has one running. I could buy that
>>> multiple dhcp daemons might cause something like what you describe.
>> $ ps -ef | grep dhcp
>> jd 12817 5530 0 07:35 pts/2 00:00:00 grep dhcp
>>
>> machines win7 and xp1 are not servers, so no dhcp
>> services are running on them. All 3 machines have
>> had static IP's for more than3 years. This problem
>> is a recent one after AT&T remotely flashed the
>> modem with new firmware.
> I'm sure you already tried this, but just in case, have you tried
> turning off each of the three machines one at a time and seeing if the
> same problem occurs with just two machines on the network?
>
>
>
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 9.0.901 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3661 - Release Date: 05/26/11 02:34:00
Have done that umpteen times - to no avail
There is no question in my mind that the modem/router
is being interfered with manually from beyond our house.
I do not believe that someone was able to hack our wlan.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 05-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Tim
 
Default Mounting cifs

Tim:
>> Doesn't meant it hasn't been zapped from another route (static inside
>> the house, hotplugging equipment, poor anti-static precautions when the
>> unit was built), or has simply failed.

JD:
> But how can you explain that a power reset (without letting
> it cool down), makes all three machine be able to communicate
> and 20-30 minutes later, they cannot?

If, and I mean if, being zapped was the cause, then that could well be
the nature of the fault. Damage to components that allow a charge to
build up that causes stuff ups.

Faulty equipment can behave in weird ways. I've been servicing
electronics equipment for over twenty years, and it's quite hard to
relate broken equipment behaviour to how things are expected to work.

>> You don't have to use /their/ crappy thing for your wireless. You could
>> use your own wireless access point within your LAN.

> I tried. I attached my ow router to the att router.
> And guess what, the latency is so horrible for EVERY
> packet, that it makes it useless. It's as if heir router
> firmware does not seem to like to receive NATed packets?

That's possible. Or just a strange compatibility between yours and
theirs. Or you've firewalled things off, too much, and broken basic
networking.

In the best of worlds, you'd reconfigure their modem/router to act as
just a bare-bones modem (bridge mode), so there's less processing
between modem and your own router.

>> I'm presuming you're persevering with using it because you're encumbered
>> with it by your ISP. If you're stuck with it, and it is faulty, I'd be
>> getting more snarky with the ISP about getting it swapped. Seeing as
>> you're paying for it, one way or another.

> I assure you I tried. They "analyze" the problem from remote
> and say they cannot find any problem with the router.
> If it were up to me I would get rid of them faster than light speed

Can you not replace it, yourself, with something equivalent? Does using
that ISP absolutely require their equipment?

Can you break it, accidentally on purpose? ;-)


--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org