Old 05-24-2011, 01:45 PM
"Marcus D. Leech"

Default Display geometry in F14

I have a system with a LG Flatron W2243T monitor, and a Gigabyte
GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard.

Under F14, this monitor refuses to come up in anything other than
fairly-low resolution (1024 x 768), although the monitor is
clearly capable of 1920 x 1080. The automatic probe that Xorg does
shows that it thinks it's a Radeon controller.

Has anyone else used this mobo/display combination, and gotten it to
work at full resolution?

When I do a "Detect Monitors", it doesn't update to the Flatron, but
continues to show "Unknown Monitor". I'm using the VGA
port.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Joe Zeff

On 05/24/2011 06:45 AM, Marcus D. Leech wrote:
> When I do a "Detect Monitors", it doesn't update to the Flatron, but
> continues to show "Unknown Monitor". I'm using the VGA
> port.

How old is that monitor? I ask because F 14 fails to detect my monitor
correctly although earlier versions found it. If yours is a few years
old it might have "fallen off the radar" like mine.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM
"Marcus D. Leech"

On 24/05/2011 10:07 AM, Joe Zeff wrote:

> How old is that monitor? I ask because F 14 fails to detect my monitor
> correctly although earlier versions found it. If yours is a few years
> old it might have "fallen off the radar" like mine.
It's quite recent--last year.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 PM
John M Cavallo

On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 09:45:29 AM you wrote:
> I have a system with a LG Flatron W2243T monitor, and a Gigabyte
> GA-880GM-UD2H motherboard.
>
> Under F14, this monitor refuses to come up in anything other than
> fairly-low resolution (1024 x 768), although the monitor is
> clearly capable of 1920 x 1080. The automatic probe that Xorg does
> shows that it thinks it's a Radeon controller.
>
> Has anyone else used this mobo/display combination, and gotten it to
> work at full resolution?
>
> When I do a "Detect Monitors", it doesn't update to the Flatron, but
> continues to show "Unknown Monitor". I'm using the VGA
> port.

Try xrandr, using --newmode you can add a 1920x1080 mode that will drive you
monitory. This can be tested at the command line, and then moved to a script
when you are happy with the results.

I have been told to be careful about the settings of the mode settings, some
values can damage your monitor, but I have not had a problem. xrandr --help
will tell you the meanings of the fields for newmode.

I have the same detection problem with a 1280x1024, I located a mode for it by
looking in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I then created a script that runs at boot. The
script (/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-xrandr) is:

#!/bin/bash

# Single monitor operation
xrandr --newmode 1280x1024 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028
1066 +hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode VGA-0 1280x1024
xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024