Old 05-18-2011, 01:55 PM
Sebastian

Default bios update

Apologies�if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
I have a single boot FC14 system on a�Dell precision M6500 precision notebook and�wish to update the BIOS.

I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"

Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current installation?I have�windows Virtual Box under FC14,�or,Do I need to delete my�installation, install windows and reinstall?
As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current�system) and then install bios?�
Here is the link to the driver?
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=RHEL5&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M6500&hidos=RHEL5&hidl ang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=F alse

thanks for any help,Sebastian

Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM

That bios update can be done from DOS:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R295450&Sy stemID=PREC_M6500&servicetag=&os=RHEL5&osl=en&devi ceid=21048&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=4&catid=1&imp id=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=442171#3DOS

Here are some instructions on how to create a DOS boot disk in
Linux:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/freedos/index.php?title=USB

HTH

---
Will Y.

> Apologies if this
has been discussed, I couldn't find it.

> I have a
single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision

notebook and wish to update the BIOS.

> I go to the
Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest

match
> to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.

This gives me the only option to download an EXE file:
"M6500A06.EXE"

> Is it possible to update my
bios with this file given my current
> installation?
have windows Virtual Box under FC14, or,
> Do I need to delete my
installation, install windows and reinstall?
> As I really don't
want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> install
windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current system)

and
> then install bios?
>
> Here is the link to
the driver?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=RHEL5&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M6500&hidos=RHEL5&hidl ang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=F alse

> thanks for any help,
> Sebastian

> believed to be
clean.

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:55:24 -0300,
Sebastian <sebas0@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision
> notebook and wish to update the BIOS.
>
> I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest match
> to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"

You probably want to use bios disk. You can get source or rpms at:
http://linux.dell.com/biosdisk/

There are instructions on how to use this tool for various ways of doing
the flash at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DellBIOS

One of the options allows you to choose flashing from the grub menu. You
don't need Windows installed nor a floppy drive.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Robert Nichols

On 05/18/2011 08:55 AM, Sebastian wrote:
> Apologies if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
>
> I have a single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision
> notebook and wish to update the BIOS.
>
> I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
> match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
>
> Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
> installation?
> I have windows Virtual Box under FC14, or,
> Do I need to delete my installation, install windows and reinstall?
> As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current system)
> and then install bios?
>
> Here is the link to the driver?
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=RHEL5&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M6500&hidos=RHEL5&hidl ang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=F alse
> <http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=RHEL5&catid=1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=PREC_M6500&hidos=RHEL5&hidl ang=en&TabIndex=&scanSupported=False&scanConsent=F alse>

If you click on the "Dell - BIOS" file title you'll get a page that includes
installation instructions, where the alternative of a DOS environment is
listed as an alternative. I generally use an old MS-DOS 6.0 boot floppy
for such things, but you could also download FreeDOS from
http://www.freedos.org .

Do NOT delete it.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 10:55 -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Apologies if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
>

> I have a single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision
> notebook and wish to update the BIOS.

I am confused. Your BIOS has nothing to do with the operating system you
use. If you use your system ID you should be able to download a file
which can be executed to update the BIOS. Maybe you will have to use the
Wine emulator or you Windows emulator but that is all.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 AM
Doron

Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Lamar Owen

On Wednesday, May 18, 2011 11:24:42 PM Doron wrote:
> On 05/18/2011 04:55 PM, Sebastian wrote:
> > I have a single boot FC14 system on a Dell precision M6500 precision
> > notebook and wish to update the BIOS.

> https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2009-December/msg01603.html

I have a Precision M65 (not M6500, the older M65, essentially a souped-up Lattitude D820); using the Dell repository (much of which is already in Fedora 14, except for the BIOS's themselves) the BIOS update was painless, from Fedora.

Be sure to wait through the reflashing, and the memory size changed screens, took mine almost 90 seconds on the reboot after the reflash. And be sure to either be docked or on AC power.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Matt Domsch

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:55:24AM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Apologies*if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
> I have a single boot FC14 system on a*Dell precision M6500 precision
> notebook and*wish to update the BIOS.
> I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
> match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
> Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
> installation?
> I have*windows Virtual Box under FC14,*or,
> Do I need to delete my*installation, install windows and reinstall?
> As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current*system)
> and then install bios?*

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware

describes how to do this for many (but not all) Dell systems. The
firmware repository on linux.dell.com carries firmware payloads for
>300 different system types. firmware-addon-dell and firmware-tools
packages are included in Fedora and EPEL, so you only need the
firmware payload RPM from the firmware repository then.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 05-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 21:25 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:55:24AM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> > Apologies*if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
> > I have a single boot FC14 system on a*Dell precision M6500 precision
> > notebook and*wish to update the BIOS.
> > I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
> > match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> > This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
> > Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
> > installation?
> > I have*windows Virtual Box under FC14,*or,
> > Do I need to delete my*installation, install windows and reinstall?
> > As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> > install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current*system)
> > and then install bios?*
>
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware
>
> describes how to do this for many (but not all) Dell systems. The
> firmware repository on linux.dell.com carries firmware payloads for
> >300 different system types. firmware-addon-dell and firmware-tools
> packages are included in Fedora and EPEL, so you only need the
> firmware payload RPM from the firmware repository then.
----
and it shouldn't go without mention that Matt is not only a board member
of Fedora but also has spearheaded tremendous Linux support at Dell
which provides tools such as these to make life easier for Linux users
for which I am very grateful.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 05-22-2011, 01:21 PM
James McKenzie

On 5/22/11 5:51 AM, Craig White wrote:
> and it shouldn't go without mention that Matt is not only a board member
> of Fedora but also has spearheaded tremendous Linux support at Dell
> which provides tools such as these to make life easier for Linux users
> for which I am very grateful.
>
> Craig

+1. We need more advocates like Matt.

[Sidebar]

Is it still possible to purchase a Dell computer with Linux pre-installed?

James McKenzie