Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Matt Domsch

Default bios update

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 05:51:20AM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 21:25 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:55:24AM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> > > Apologies*if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
> > > I have a single boot FC14 system on a*Dell precision M6500 precision
> > > notebook and*wish to update the BIOS.
> > > I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
> > > match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
> > > This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
> > > Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
> > > installation?
> > > I have*windows Virtual Box under FC14,*or,
> > > Do I need to delete my*installation, install windows and reinstall?
> > > As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
> > > install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current*system)
> > > and then install bios?*
> >
> > http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware
> >
> > describes how to do this for many (but not all) Dell systems. The
> > firmware repository on linux.dell.com carries firmware payloads for
> > >300 different system types. firmware-addon-dell and firmware-tools
> > packages are included in Fedora and EPEL, so you only need the
> > firmware payload RPM from the firmware repository then.
> ----
> and it shouldn't go without mention that Matt is not only a board member
> of Fedora but also has spearheaded tremendous Linux support at Dell
> which provides tools such as these to make life easier for Linux users
> for which I am very grateful.

Former board member (I chose not to stand for re-election in December
2010 due to other commitments, and a strong desire to see others step
into that leadership role after my 5 year tenure), but thanks for the
votes of confidence!

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Matt Domsch

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 06:21:29AM -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> On 5/22/11 5:51 AM, Craig White wrote:
> > and it shouldn't go without mention that Matt is not only a board member
> > of Fedora but also has spearheaded tremendous Linux support at Dell
> > which provides tools such as these to make life easier for Linux users
> > for which I am very grateful.
> >
> > Craig
> >

> +1. We need more advocates like Matt.

Thanks!

> [Sidebar]
>
> Is it still possible to purchase a Dell computer with Linux pre-installed?

Yes. All PowerEdge servers and Precision workstations are available
with Linux pre-installed, as has been the case for 12+ years.
http://dell.com/ubuntu currently lists two notebooks offered in the
United States. Other countries may have more or fewer depending on
regional sales requirements.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist

Old 05-31-2011, 08:38 PM
Lamar Owen

On Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:25:30 PM Matt Domsch wrote:
> http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware
>
> describes how to do this for many (but not all) Dell systems. The
> firmware repository on linux.dell.com carries firmware payloads for
> >300 different system types. firmware-addon-dell and firmware-tools
> packages are included in Fedora and EPEL, so you only need the
> firmware payload RPM from the firmware repository then.

I've done this with my Precision M65; thanks much for all the hard work, Matt.