Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Neal Becker

Default What filesystem for ssd? (f15)

I'm planning a fresh install of f15 onto
Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310

What filesystem should I use? Go for btrfs?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Neal Becker

Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Phil Meyer

On 04/11/2011 08:26 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm planning a fresh install of f15 onto
> Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310
>
> What filesystem should I use? Go for btrfs?

You could also try the discard option for mounting ext4 file systems.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 10:26 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm planning a fresh install of f15 onto
> Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310
>
> What filesystem should I use? Go for btrfs?

Hi

I have been using ext4(pre-formatting, no LVM) on my SSDs,
(partitioned using gdisk with some of them,
to ensure the correct alignment)

[root@avon ~]# uname -a
Linux avon 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP

[root@avon ~]# gdisk /dev/sda
GPT fdisk (gdisk) version 0.6.14

Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT.

Command (? for help): p
Disk /dev/sda: 117231408 sectors, 55.9 GiB
Logical sector size: 512 bytes
Disk identifier (GUID): 94F57B19-B255-4B3A-A9A0-8983A3A61F04
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 117231374
Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries
Total free space is 33343213 sectors (15.9 GiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 2048 4095 1024.0 KiB EF02 BIOS boot partition3333
2 4096 41947135 20.0 GiB EF00 Linux/Windows data33333
3 41947136 83890175 20.0 GiB 0700 Linux/Windows data

Didn't bother with /boot or swap (8GB of memory installed on this machine)
Not sure which of the Codes is best/correct EF00 or 0700
The second partition is ready for F15

No known problems

Interested in other replies re btrfs
Does older grub version permit booting from btrfs?

John

Old 04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 08:52 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 08:26 AM, Neal Becker wrote:
> > I'm planning a fresh install of f15 onto
> > Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G310
> >
> > What filesystem should I use? Go for btrfs?
> >

> You could also try the discard option for mounting ext4 file systems.

Yes that is important
[root@avon ~]# cat /etc/fstab
UUID=0b0e2173-b356-476f-8091-a716189d1e1e / ext4 defaults,discard,noatime 1 1

John

Old 04-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 11.04.2011 16:26, schrieb Neal Becker:
> What filesystem should I use? Go for btrfs?

I would recommend ext4 as btrfs still isn't marked as stable. Although
there are no bigger bugs to be expected anymore I would trust it in an
production environment. Furthermore it will be possible to convert ext4
into btrfs without bigger problems.

I'm also using ext4 on top of an encrypted lvm setup. Unfortunately
dm-crypt doesn't have the discard feature implemented yet, so the trim
feature of my SSD doesn't get utilized .

However encryption is the only way to make sure to give no sensible
information away when selling the drive later on, because you have no
clue what the controller is actually doing . As some flash cells will
get replaced automatically during the lifetime of your drive you can't
make sure that they are also properly deleted.

Some models offer the possibility to reset the whole drive using ATA
commands, but once again you have to trust the manufacturer to have done
everything right.

Another important thing is to mount your partitions with the "noatime"
parameter when you don't depend on it. In order to update these few bits
the SSD will erase whole groups of cells for each file (when there is no
buffer involved) so you can shorten the expected lifetime easily by a
huge factor .

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Michael Cronenworth

John Austin wrote:
> UUID=0b0e2173-b356-476f-8091-a716189d1e1e / ext4 defaults,discard,noatime 1 1

John & Karol,

The 'noatime' mount option has been a Fedora default for several
releases now. There is no need to set it manually.

Neal,

There are no conclusive arguments to prefer ext4 or btrfs at this time.
Either file system is a good choice. As has been mentioned, you can
convert an ext4 file system to btrfs at any time (but not the other way
around).

I use btrfs on SSDs and HDs and my data has been safe so far.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:06 PM
John Austin

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 10:31 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> John Austin wrote:
> > UUID=0b0e2173-b356-476f-8091-a716189d1e1e / ext4 defaults,discard,noatime 1 1
>
> John & Karol,
>
> The 'noatime' mount option has been a Fedora default for several
> releases now. There is no need to set it manually.
>
> Neal,
>
> There are no conclusive arguments to prefer ext4 or btrfs at this time.
> Either file system is a good choice. As has been mentioned, you can
> convert an ext4 file system to btrfs at any time (but not the other way
> around).
>
> I use btrfs on SSDs and HDs and my data has been safe so far.

Thanks for the info on noatime

Does the older grub (Fedora version) support booting from btrfs
as I usually don't bother with a separate /boot partition
and "the older grub (Fedora version)" will boot from ext4

John

Old 04-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Karol Babioch

Hi,

Am 11.04.2011 17:31, schrieb Michael Cronenworth:
> The 'noatime' mount option has been a Fedora default for several
> releases now. There is no need to set it manually.

Good to know. I'm not a Fedora guru .

> There are no conclusive arguments to prefer ext4 or btrfs at this time.
> Either file system is a good choice. As has been mentioned, you can
> convert an ext4 file system to btrfs at any time (but not the other way
> around).

Well for me the fact that btrfs still isn't stable is a conclusive
argument. As it can be converted quite easily later on I would recommend
ext4 so far.

> I use btrfs on SSDs and HDs and my data has been safe so far.

Although btrfs seems to be solid, there have been reports of data loss
as a result of bugs within the code.

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
Konstantin Svist

On 04/11/2011 08:19 AM, Karol Babioch wrote:
> I would recommend ext4 as btrfs still isn't marked as stable. Although
> there are no bigger bugs to be expected anymore I would trust it in an
> production environment. Furthermore it will be possible to convert ext4
> into btrfs without bigger problems.

Actually, it's not bugs in btrfs as much as absence of fsck. Power off
the laptop in the middle of an operation and your filesystem is
irrecoverable -- happened to my test setup.

> I'm also using ext4 on top of an encrypted lvm setup. Unfortunately
> dm-crypt doesn't have the discard feature implemented yet, so the trim
> feature of my SSD doesn't get utilized .

It might never get implemented, since encryption is supposed to hide
everything, including information about empty sectors -- otherwise,
attacks can be devised to recover some data.