Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
"Stephen P Molnar"

Default USB Thumb Drive Installation

I am considering returning to Red Hat, actually Fedora, after quite a few years of using SuSE/OpenSUSE.* However, before taking down my main platform, which my wife uses for surfing, I’d like to test Fedora 14 on my laptop.* This raises another consideration in that I use the laptop for consulting and don’t want to endanger the Win 7 OS.
*
What I have done is install (transfer(?)) Fedora 14 to a 8GB SanDisk USB Thumb Drive.* At this point I can boot the laptop from the Thumb Drive and start the Fedora installer.* I want to install Fedora on the Thumb Drive without modifying the laptop MS Win 7 boot process.
*
Now, finally my questions.* The installer gives me the option of installing Fedora on the following partitions:
*
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1
*
Am I correct in assuming the Thumb Drive is /dev/sdc1?* *Will the Win 7 boot loader be modified by the Fedora installation?
*
I have attempted searching the list archive without success.* Any assistance will be much appreciated.
*
Thanks in advance.
*
*
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.********************** ******************* Life is a fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry******************** ******************** Stochastic and multivariate
http://www.FoundationForChemistry.com
*

Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 08:54:53 -0400,
Stephen P Molnar <s.molnar@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What I have done is install (transfer(?)) Fedora 14 to a 8GB SanDisk USB
> Thumb Drive. At this point I can boot the laptop from the Thumb Drive and
> start the Fedora installer. I want to install Fedora on the Thumb Drive
> without modifying the laptop MS Win 7 boot process.

You could use a live image with a persistant home and an overlay update
area. You can make this using livecd-iso-to-disk (from the livecd-tools
package). You can encrypt /home as an option. Updates will probably eventually
fill up the overlay area, and you will need to make another image to replace
the old one to get the space back. When you do that you can leave /home
alone. If you do this don't use the live image from the release, as there will
be a huge pile of updates waiting, run livecd-creator to make an image based
on the current set of updates available. You can also pull in packages you
want that aren't on the image you want. That will keep them compressed
and save space versus adding them into the persistant overlay space.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Javier Perez

be careful. Depending on how you started Fedora, drive assignment can vary very much.

lookup the file /var/log/dmesg (as root), or even better, execute:

grep '/dev' </var/log/dmesg

This should show all the devices mounted, you should be able to pickup from the list what device number was assigned to your USB pendrive.

JP

[...]

*/\_/**
*|O O|* pepebuho@gmail.com
*~~~~ * * Javier Perez