Old 04-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default Yum wierdness

I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
the DVD.

I am getting the following message:

"http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again"

Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?

Thanks

Mike

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 AM
Robert Nichols

On 04/11/2011 01:59 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
> which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
> the DVD.
>
> I am getting the following message:
>
> "http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
> adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again"
>
> Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?

Perhaps because there is no 64-bit version of AdobeReader, and the only
64-bit Flashplayer is a beta test version that is only available from
labs.adobe.com.

As for what went wrong, perhaps just a glitch. Right now I get a valid
XML file from that URL.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:43 AM
Mike Dwiggins

On 4/11/2011 12:27 AM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 01:59 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
>> which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
>> the DVD.
>>
>> I am getting the following message:
>>
>> "http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>> 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
>> adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again"
>>
>> Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?
> Perhaps because there is no 64-bit version of AdobeReader, and the only
> 64-bit Flashplayer is a beta test version that is only available from
> labs.adobe.com.
>
> As for what went wrong, perhaps just a glitch. Right now I get a valid
> XML file from that URL.

That is strange as I am not trying to update Adobe, just a general yum
update and I am getting a 404 Error "File not Found" when I hit that
link from my Widows machine.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-04-11 at 00:43 -0700, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> That is strange as I am not trying to update Adobe, just a general yum
> update

Unless you've disabled the Adobe repo, you are doing a "check everything
for an update," when you do "yum update."

> and I am getting a 404 Error "File not Found" when I hit that
> link from my Widows machine.

Sounds like it might be a name resolution issue for you and your DNS
server, then.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:35 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/11/2011 02:59 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
> I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
> which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
> the DVD.
>
> I am getting the following message:
>
> "http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
> 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
> Trying other mirror.
> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
> adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again"
>
> Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?

You are looking for an i386 update because yum is looking for an update
for some RPM that is already installed on your system as an i386 RPM.

You didn't including the command line you used with yum (or did you use
some gui tool?). Was this as a part of the DVD updgrade, I thought you
said it was afterward, which would indicate that yum is looking for
updates for *all* of your installed software.

PYCURL ERROR 6 is one of those errors that comes from a "tool" yum is
using to do some of its heavy lifting, and yum has decided to present
you with the raw error message from that tool, instead of interpreting
it for you.

(Quality software, tastefully presented!)

If you google "PYCURL ERROR 6", you will find lots of posts asking what
it means. Most of them allude to either a non-working network
connection, or a missing target of an attempted download.

So, from that I would gather that either your network isn't working, or
the target file that yum was attempting to download
(.../repodata/repomd.xml) could not be found on the server it attempted
to download it from....

If it is a transient error (at adobe.com), it should clear up after a
while. (Are you getting other files updated outside of this repo?)

Does everything work OK if you disable the troublesome repo?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 04-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Mike Dwiggins

On 4/11/2011 6:35 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 02:59 AM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>> I upgraded a working F13 x86_64 to F14 x 86_64 from a downloaded DVD
>> which verified and then went to do a "yum update" after the upgrade from
>> the DVD.
>>
>> I am getting the following message:
>>
>> "http://linuxdownload.adobe.com/linux/i386/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
>> 14] PYCURL ERROR 6 - " "
>> Trying other mirror.
>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository
>> adobe-linux-i386. Please verify its path and try again"
>>
>> Any ideas what went wrong and why I am looking for i386 updates?
> You are looking for an i386 update because yum is looking for an update
> for some RPM that is already installed on your system as an i386 RPM.
>
> You didn't including the command line you used with yum (or did you use
> some gui tool?). Was this as a part of the DVD updgrade, I thought you
> said it was afterward, which would indicate that yum is looking for
> updates for *all* of your installed software.
>
> PYCURL ERROR 6 is one of those errors that comes from a "tool" yum is
> using to do some of its heavy lifting, and yum has decided to present
> you with the raw error message from that tool, instead of interpreting
> it for you.
>
> (Quality software, tastefully presented!)
>
> If you google "PYCURL ERROR 6", you will find lots of posts asking what
> it means. Most of them allude to either a non-working network
> connection, or a missing target of an attempted download.
>
> So, from that I would gather that either your network isn't working, or
> the target file that yum was attempting to download
> (.../repodata/repomd.xml) could not be found on the server it attempted
> to download it from....
>
> If it is a transient error (at adobe.com), it should clear up after a
> while. (Are you getting other files updated outside of this repo?)
>
> Does everything work OK if you disable the troublesome repo?

The command used was a simple "yum update".

The problem turned out to in fact be the network. Somehow the upgrade
had caused Network Manager to be a "Dead Process" but had not destroyed
the cache.

Found this out when I opened the browser and the format of the home page
would come up but no content which got me looking at the Network Manager.

Thanks for the help all!

Mike