Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 AM
Varuna Seneviratna

Default How to use rpm to install adobe-flash?

When executed the command

rpm -i adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
The feedback is, Eerror: can't create transaction lock on
/var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (Permission denied)

What is the Solution and what is meant by?
can't create transaction lock

How to Overcome this?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/09/2011 12:21 AM, Varuna Seneviratna wrote:
> When executed the command
>
> rpm -i adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
> The feedback is, Eerror: can't create transaction lock on
> /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (Permission denied)
>

> What is the Solution and what is meant by?
> can't create transaction lock
>
> How to Overcome this?

You have to execute as root, not as a regular user.

Either become root (su -) or use sudo....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 04-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 09:51:53 +0530
Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com> wrote:

> When executed the command
>
> rpm -i adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
> The feedback is, Eerror: can't create transaction lock on
> /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (Permission denied)
>

> What is the Solution and what is meant by?
> can't create transaction lock
>
> How to Overcome this?

You need to be root (superuser) to install packages.
(ie, use the 'su' command first)

Also, see:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash

for step by step instructions.

kevin

Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Varuna Seneviratna

Hello Kevin
When I execute as root I am not in the Downloads directory
and the command "cd Downloads" produces the output "-bash: cd:
Downloads: No such file or directory"

How can I use the file in the Downloads directory or go to Downloads
when logged in as root?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 AM
Kevin Fenzi

On Sat, 9 Apr 2011 10:03:42 +0530
Varuna Seneviratna <varunaseneviratna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Kevin
> When I execute as root I am not in the Downloads directory
> and the command "cd Downloads" produces the output "-bash: cd:
> Downloads: No such file or directory"
>
> How can I use the file in the Downloads directory or go to Downloads
> when logged in as root?

You want the Downloads directory for your user, not for root, so:

cd ~yourusername/Downloads

the ~ there means home directory of, and of course you need to replace
'yourusername' with whatever you login is.

Kind of dated, but still a lot of good information about the command
line is available in RUTE: http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz

kevin

Old 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Joe Zeff

On 04/08/2011 09:36 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> You want the Downloads directory for your user, not for root, so:
>
> cd ~yourusername/Downloads

Even easier: just use su instead of su - because that doesn't change
your directory and su - is a tad heavy handed for simply installing
software.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:04 AM
Joel Rees

If I hadn't been fighting with grub for five days straight (and still
losing), I'd have been able to add my two cents when it might have
still mattered. (sigh)

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Varuna Seneviratna
<varunaseneviratna@gmail.com> wrote:
> When executed the command
>
> rpm -i adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
> The feedback is, Eerror: can't create transaction lock on
> /var/lib/rpm/.rpm.lock (Permission denied)
>

> What is the Solution and what is meant by?
> can't create transaction lock

Theoretically, a transaction lock is a flag (often in the form of a
specific file) which is used by the system to prevent two (or more)
processes from working at the same time on some important system
resource. Without such a flag, the processes could end up leaving the
resource in a confused state.

> How to Overcome this?

My advice is not to.

You don't surf the web as an administrator user, do you?

Right, you wouldn't do such a silly thing. So, logged in as the
non-administrator user that you want to use to surf the web and see
all the flash, do the following:

Start a shell and do the following in it:

cd .mozilla/plugins
tar xzf ~/Desktop/<flash-tarball-name.tar.gz>

This allows you to view flash as that user. Other users will not have
access to flash unless you do the same thing for them.

This is not to be mean to the other users. It's to protect the other
users from the vulnerabilities in flash. If flash is installed
globally (the usual thing that happens when you use the rpm package),
all users become vulnerable. Including that administrator account that
you never use to get on the web, except to fedoraproject.org and other
places where you need to read the manuals, etc.

Fedoraproject.org will hopefully never have malicious code, but if you
use google and find something interesting on feboraproject.org, you
might not notice. So it's just better to keep the misbehaving plugin
away from the system libraries and such.

The flash plugin is not that big so having a copy in your surfing user
account and another in your children's surfing account, etc., is not
going to be a problem, except that every time adobe cleans out another
vulnerability, you'll need to remember to unpack it in all the surfing
accounts.

There are probably no more than three of those, anyway, right?

Joel Rees

Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not to be mean to the other users. It's to protect the other
> users from the vulnerabilities in flash. If flash is installed
> globally (the usual thing that happens when you use the rpm package),
> all users become vulnerable. Including that administrator account that
> you never use to get on the web, except to fedoraproject.org and other
> places where you need to read the manuals, etc.

I don't think this is correct. Permissions for plugins are not setuid.
So as long as the call to load the library is done as a regular user
(as in, you don't surf the Internet as root), vulnerabilities in the
plugin can _only_ affect the regular user.

Please feel free to correct me if you think I am wrong.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Joel Rees

(I was hoping someone else would take the time to explain this.)

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 12:42 PM, suvayu ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:04 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is not to be mean to the other users. It's to protect the other
>> users from the vulnerabilities in flash. If flash is installed
>> globally (the usual thing that happens when you use the rpm package),
>> all users become vulnerable. Including that administrator account that
>> you never use to get on the web, except to fedoraproject.org and other
>> places where you need to read the manuals, etc.
>
> I don't think this is correct. Permissions for plugins are not setuid.

setuid is not really relavent to this particular question.

> So as long as the call to load the library is done as a regular user
> (as in, you don't surf the Internet as root),

Sure, you don't surf the web as root. I don't surf the web as root.
Nor do we surf the web as a user capable of raising privilege
temporarily via sudo.

And we always su (if we do use su to do administrative tasks) from
users that we never surf the web from, right? You understand why?

And we have a dedicated user for downloading live CD and install CD
images, Oracle's Java (if we need that) and (ahem) Adobe's Flash,
getting on-line to paypal or your bank, etc.

Right?

Does that explain why I'm saying you don't want Flash loading every
time you run your web browser as any user?

> vulnerabilities in the
> plugin can _only_ affect the regular user.

There are many paths to exploits besides things directly running in
the instance of the web server (with plugins) which you are currently
running. Tricks like leaving keyloggers and trojans behind, in places
where they get executed the next time you log in instead of now.

So a Flash exploit lets the bad guys leave a keylogger in your surfing
account. That's not good (and in some senses it's a ticking time
bomb), but at least it isn't as bad as it could be.

Joel Rees

Old 04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
suvayu ali

Hi Joel,

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> And we always su (if we do use su to do administrative tasks) from
> users that we never surf the web from, right? You understand why?

I presume you are alluding to the possibility of the system being
affected by keyloggers (as you mention later in your post)?

> Does that explain why I'm saying you don't want Flash loading every
> time you run your web browser as any user?

How does this change when flash is installed as the regular user?
Irrespective of how flash was installed, whatever vulnerabilities it
introduces will be limited to the account that is using it. Isn't that
correct?

>> vulnerabilities in the
>> plugin can _only_ affect the regular user.
>
> There are many paths to exploits besides things directly running in
> the instance of the web server (with plugins) which you are currently
> running. Tricks like leaving keyloggers and trojans behind, in places
> where they get executed the next time you log in instead of now.
>
> So a Flash exploit lets the bad guys leave a keylogger in your surfing
> account. That's not good (and in some senses it's a ticking time
> bomb), but at least it isn't as bad as it could be.

How does (not-)installing flash as root affect any of the above? What
you are talking about above is something everyone should be mindful of
when surfing the Internet irrespective of whether they are using flash.

I still fail to see how installing flash as the regular user is saving
the user from any vulnerabilities which he/she would be otherwise prone to.

--
Suvayu