Old 04-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Linuxguy123

Default Fan control with nouveau controller ?

I'm running a fully up to date F14 installation on my laptop.

For various reasons today I uninstalled the nvidia driver and installed
the nouveau driver. My laptop has a GeForce 8800 GTS video card.

Everything works but I can hear the video fan running constantly which
is annoying and wasteful of the battery.

How do I get the video fan under control ?

Thanks

LG

Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Linuxguy123

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 19:46 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'm running a fully up to date F14 installation on my laptop.
>
> For various reasons today I uninstalled the nvidia driver and installed
> the nouveau driver. My laptop has a GeForce 8800 GTS video card.
>
> Everything works but I can hear the video fan running constantly which
> is annoying and wasteful of the battery.
>
> How do I get the video fan under control ?

For whatever reason, my video fan just throttled down. ???? Something
to do with the first run ?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Sam Varshavchik

Linuxguy123 writes:

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 19:46 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I'm running a fully up to date F14 installation on my laptop.
>
> For various reasons today I uninstalled the nvidia driver and installed
> the nouveau driver. My laptop has a GeForce 8800 GTS video card.
>
> Everything works but I can hear the video fan running constantly which
> is annoying and wasteful of the battery.
>
> How do I get the video fan under control ?

For whatever reason, my video fan just throttled down. ???? Something
to do with the first run ?

Are you certain that you're hearing the GPU fan, and not the CPU fan?

You might've had anacron kick a few things into action. If it was time to
catch up on an overdue run of prelink, this will keep the CPU noticeably
busy, for a few minutes.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:47 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 19:46:07 -0600,
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running a fully up to date F14 installation on my laptop.
>
> For various reasons today I uninstalled the nvidia driver and installed
> the nouveau driver. My laptop has a GeForce 8800 GTS video card.
>
> Everything works but I can hear the video fan running constantly which
> is annoying and wasteful of the battery.
>
> How do I get the video fan under control ?

I belive the current answer is you don't. The project wiki page says at
best this is a work in progress, depending on the card you own. The Nouveau
wiki pages sometimes lag a bit especially for Fedora where Ben gets stuff
in pretty early in the development release, but it is good indication of
the current support state.
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/PowerManagement

Old 04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Linuxguy123

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 22:16 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Linuxguy123 writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 19:46 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > > I'm running a fully up to date F14 installation on my laptop.
> > >
> > > For various reasons today I uninstalled the nvidia driver and installed
> > > the nouveau driver. My laptop has a GeForce 8800 GTS video card.
> > >
> > > Everything works but I can hear the video fan running constantly which
> > > is annoying and wasteful of the battery.
> > >
> > > How do I get the video fan under control ?
> >
> > For whatever reason, my video fan just throttled down. ???? Something
> > to do with the first run ?
>
> Are you certain that you're hearing the GPU fan, and not the CPU fan?

I'm pretty sure its the GPU fan. I know what the CPU fan is like
because I've heard it since I got it. I installed the nouveau driver
today and for the first time I heard the GPU fan by itself.
Furthermore, not only does it sound different, it comes from a different
part of the laptop. Interesting experience.