Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
JD

Default Ctrl-Alt-F2 does not work

On 04/08/2011 03:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> with fc14, have not been able to to switch
>> to the text console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2
>> or F3 ...etc, even after latest updates,
>>
>> What is the config file that controls that behavior??
> Check with ps whether the gettys are running.
>
> The files that set them up and launch them are
> "/etc/init/start-ttys.conf" and "/etc/init/tty.conf".
I do not see anything in those files
for me to config. Could my problem be more
gnome related or Xserver related?

# ps -ef | grep getty
root 1947 1 0 11:50 tty2 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty2
root 1949 1 0 11:50 tty3 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty3
root 1952 1 0 11:50 tty4 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty4
root 1954 1 0 11:50 tty5 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty5
root 1956 1 0 11:50 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty6

# cat /etc/init/start-ttys.conf
#
# This service starts the configured number of gettys.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]

env ACTIVE_CONSOLES=/dev/tty[1-6]
env X_TTY=/dev/tty1
task
script
. /etc/sysconfig/init
for tty in $(echo $ACTIVE_CONSOLES) ; do
[ "$RUNLEVEL" = "5" -a "$tty" = "$X_TTY" ] && continue
initctl start tty TTY=$tty
done
end script

# cat /etc/init/tty.conf
# tty - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on the specified device.

stop on runlevel [016]

respawn
instance $TTY
exec /sbin/mingetty $TTY

Old 04-09-2011, 02:17 AM
JD

On 04/08/2011 04:50 PM, JD wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 03:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> with fc14, have not been able to to switch
>>> to the text console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2
>>> or F3 ...etc, even after latest updates,
>>>
>>> What is the config file that controls that behavior??
>> Check with ps whether the gettys are running.
>>
>> The files that set them up and launch them are
>> "/etc/init/start-ttys.conf" and "/etc/init/tty.conf".

Strange as it may seem: I restored nomodeset back into the boot params
in grub.conf.
Now, Crl-Alt-F[2345...] work as before.
Also, earlier, an OP had suggested I remove the nomodeset, because I was
experiencing
great delays in workspace switching. Well, removing nomodeset did fix
that problem
but introduced the problem with Ctrl-AltF[123456...] functionality.
This time around, re-introducing nomodeset fixed (or restored) 3
functionalities
I wanted:
1. I can see all the boot activity all the way to when gnome starts.
2. Ctrl-Alt-F... works
3. Workspace switch is now snappy again.

I think this sort of ill explained bhavior of the desktop tells me that
no one really know what's causing what, and why (i.e. no details).

Old 04-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 03:41 PM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 6:38 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>> with fc14, have not been able to to switch
>>> to the text console by pressing Ctrl-Alt-F2
>>> or F3 ...etc, even after latest updates,
>>>
>>> What is the config file that controls that behavior??
>> Check with ps whether the gettys are running.
>>
>> The files that set them up and launch them are
>> "/etc/init/start-ttys.conf" and "/etc/init/tty.conf".
>
> I do not see anything in those files
> for me to config. Could my problem be more
> gnome related or Xserver related?

KMS-related...

Old 04-09-2011, 02:59 PM
JD

On 04/09/2011 12:27 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 7:50 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Check with ps whether the gettys are running.
>>>
>>> The files that set them up and launch them are
>>> "/etc/init/start-ttys.conf" and "/etc/init/tty.conf".
>> I do not see anything in those files
>> for me to config. Could my problem be more
>> gnome related or Xserver related?
> KMS-related...
"related" does not explain the problem.
When it was suggested that I remove kms
from the boot params in order to speed up
workspace switching, it worked. But Ctrl-Alt-Fn
stopped working. re-introducing kms fixes
the alt-ctrl-Fn function, but does not slow
down workspace switching, and it does let me
view the whole boot process. So, give us all
a break. No one seems to know how the same
"solution" is both the cause of the problem
and the solution to the problem.

It must be something else!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Tom H

On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/09/2011 12:27 AM, Tom H wrote:

>>> I do not see anything in those files
>>> for me to config. Could my problem be more
>>> gnome related or Xserver related?
>> KMS-related...
> "related" does not explain the problem.
> When it was suggested that I remove kms
> from the boot params in order to speed up
> workspace switching, it worked. But Ctrl-Alt-Fn
> stopped working. re-introducing kms fixes
> the alt-ctrl-Fn function, but does not slow
> down workspace switching, and it does let me
> view the whole boot process. So, give us all
> a break. No one seems to know how the same
> "solution" is both the cause of the problem
> and the solution to the problem.
>
> It must be something else!

No.

I had to look at the archive to understand what you're talking about.

This http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/395222.html
clearly shows that your VT problem is KMS-related - since adding
nomodeset to your kernel line killed your VTs.

Whether the speed of your workspace switching is or isn't, I have no idea.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:09 AM
JD

On 04/09/2011 04:34 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> KMS-related...
>> "related" does not explain the problem.
>> When it was suggested that I remove kms
>> from the boot params in order to speed up
>> workspace switching, it worked. But Ctrl-Alt-Fn
>> stopped working. re-introducing kms fixes
>> the alt-ctrl-Fn function, but does not slow
>> down workspace switching, and it does let me
>> view the whole boot process. So, give us all
>> a break. No one seems to know how the same
>> "solution" is both the cause of the problem
>> and the solution to the problem.
>>
>> It must be something else!
> No.
>
> I had to look at the archive to understand what you're talking about.
>
> This http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-April/395222.html
> clearly shows that your VT problem is KMS-related - since adding
> nomodeset to your kernel line killed your VTs.
But I indeed have ADDED it back in, and VT's are still working!!
So that's what I mean. How can removing nomodeset fix the
VT's probelem, adding it back in does not break the VT's - i.e.
they are still working.
All that begs the question: what's the relationship between nomodeset
and Xserver's modus operandi?