Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 AM
JD

Default buut paramerers for seeing the verbose boot process

In F13, I could see all the steps of the boot
process and see what was failing.
Now, in F14, that is all hidden.
What boot params do I need to remove or add
to make the boot output visible again.

Thanx,

JD

Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/08/2011 02:06 AM, JD wrote:
> In F13, I could see all the steps of the boot
> process and see what was failing.
> Now, in F14, that is all hidden.
> What boot params do I need to remove or add
> to make the boot output visible again.

Look at your kernel command line in /etc/grub.conf. If you see either
"rhgb" and/or "quiet", remove them. That should let you see all the
messages again.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
JD

On 04/08/2011 12:29 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 02:06 AM, JD wrote:
>> In F13, I could see all the steps of the boot
>> process and see what was failing.
>> Now, in F14, that is all hidden.
>> What boot params do I need to remove or add
>> to make the boot output visible again.
> Look at your kernel command line in /etc/grub.conf. If you see either
> "rhgb" and/or "quiet", remove them. That should let you see all the
> messages again.
Thank you Kevin.
I looked! I have not rhgb and no quiet.
What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
to graphics mode. It stays blank (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
I never get to see the output of the boot process,
so I can see what passed and what failed.

Thanx,

JD

Old 04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
> to graphics mode. It stays blank *(black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
> so I can see what passed and what failed.

Kevin's prescription should have worked. I don't know what is wrong
but you can always look at the boot messages after the fact with

$ less -r /var/log/boot.log

--
Suvayu

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 PM
JD

On 04/08/2011 02:23 PM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 1:23 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
>> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
>> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
>> to graphics mode. It stays blank (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
>> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
>> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
>> so I can see what passed and what failed.
> Kevin's prescription should have worked. I don't know what is wrong
> but you can always look at the boot messages after the fact with
>
> $ less -r /var/log/boot.log

Yeah... I know that.
I would much rather see them as it is booting.
Here is the entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf

title Fedora (2.6.38.2.fc14.i686)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686 ro root=/dev/sda2
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686.img

I have to admit that the kernel I am using is the
mainline rleased kernel, because the ath9k driver
seems to better support my AR5008 based wifi card
(has AR5614/AR2133 chips). I tried the regular Fedora 14
released kernel from updates (2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686),
but using it, I was unable to pair with the AP, whereas
2.6.38.2 works just fine.

So, I wonder if my problem might be caused by
one of the boot stages???

Cheers,

JD

Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/08/2011 04:23 PM, JD wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 12:29 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> I looked! I have not rhgb and no quiet.

OK, then you have a different problem then.

> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
> to graphics mode. It stays blank (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
> so I can see what passed and what failed.

Sounds to me like it may be a video related problem with the card
switching modes during boot up. Do you have a VGA= on your kernel line?

You might try putting a "nomodeset" and see what it does, but that
option is becoming deprecated as the kernel support for various video
cards improves.

What is your video card, and what driver are you expecting to be used.
I ask because Fedora tries real hard to use either nouveau or ati for
nVidia or Radeon cards and you might want to ultimately be using a
proprietary driver (you never know until you ask...).

I would see if I could stop the mode switch so that the screen doesn't
clear. It sounds to me like the screen re-size is "failing" and you
never see anything else on the screen.

Suvayu's suggestion of looking at the /var/log/dmesg is also useful if
you can find something there that might point a finger, but until then,
see if you can keep the screen stable.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:04 AM
JD

On 04/08/2011 05:39 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 04:23 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 04/08/2011 12:29 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> I looked! I have not rhgb and no quiet.
> OK, then you have a different problem then.
>
>> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
>> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
>> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
>> to graphics mode. It stays blank (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
>> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
>> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
>> so I can see what passed and what failed.
> Sounds to me like it may be a video related problem with the card
> switching modes during boot up. Do you have a VGA= on your kernel line?
No. Here is the entry in grub.conf
title Fedora (2.6.38.2.fc14.i686)
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686 ro root=/dev/sda2
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686.img

> You might try putting a "nomodeset" and see what it does, but that
> option is becoming deprecated as the kernel support for various video
> cards improves.
I used to have nomodeset. But that had the effect of slowing
down switching from one workspace to the next a lot -
like it would 2.5 to 3 seconds for the switch-to workspace
would display all it's contents. So, an OP advised me to remove
it, and that indeed fixed that problem. So, not sure I would
want to get back to that "slowdown" - but I will try it just
to test.

> What is your video card, and what driver are you expecting to be used.
> I ask because Fedora tries real hard to use either nouveau or ati for
> nVidia or Radeon cards and you might want to ultimately be using a
> proprietary driver (you never know until you ask...).
It is the Radeon Mobility 9600 M10.
I assume that the F14 Xserver driver is picked
automatically. There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> I would see if I could stop the mode switch so that the screen doesn't
> clear. It sounds to me like the screen re-size is "failing" and you
> never see anything else on the screen.
>
> Suvayu's suggestion of looking at the /var/log/dmesg is also useful if
> you can find something there that might point a finger, but until then,
> see if you can keep the screen stable.
I found nothing there to give me a clue!
/boot/log starts with
Starting udev:...
which is what I used to see on the screen, but I see that no longer.
But there was nothing there that would give me a clue why I can
not see that on the boot screen.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:53 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/08/2011 09:04 PM, JD wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 05:39 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> On 04/08/2011 04:23 PM, JD wrote:
>>> On 04/08/2011 12:29 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>>> I looked! I have not rhgb and no quiet.
>> OK, then you have a different problem then.
>>
>>> What happens is at boot, there is a fast scroll
>>> of text and suddenly, the screen appears as if it got powered off,
>>> but it also behaves that way when switching from bios text mode
>>> to graphics mode. It stays blank (black) for about 2.5 or more minutes
>>> and then the Gnome login menu pops up.
>>> I never get to see the output of the boot process,
>>> so I can see what passed and what failed.
>> Sounds to me like it may be a video related problem with the card
>> switching modes during boot up. Do you have a VGA= on your kernel line?
> No. Here is the entry in grub.conf
> title Fedora (2.6.38.2.fc14.i686)
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686 ro root=/dev/sda2
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686.img
>
>> You might try putting a "nomodeset" and see what it does, but that
>> option is becoming deprecated as the kernel support for various video
>> cards improves.
> I used to have nomodeset. But that had the effect of slowing
> down switching from one workspace to the next a lot -
> like it would 2.5 to 3 seconds for the switch-to workspace
> would display all it's contents. So, an OP advised me to remove
> it, and that indeed fixed that problem. So, not sure I would
> want to get back to that "slowdown" - but I will try it just
> to test.

I was only suggesting it as a way for you to see the messages. I was
hoping we could try and figure out what was happening when it mode
switches and the screen disappears....

> It is the Radeon Mobility 9600 M10.
> I assume that the F14 Xserver driver is picked
> automatically. There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf

OK, that should be using the stock "ati" driver. I'm using the same
driver for my Mobility Radeon X1600 without the problems you are seeing.

Try and see if you can find a file in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

It is your X11 log file and should contain *much* information that could
be useful in debugging your problem....

Old 04-09-2011, 03:03 AM
JD

On 04/08/2011 07:53 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 09:04 PM, JD wrote:
>>> OK, then you have a different problem then.

>>> Sounds to me like it may be a video related problem with the card
>>> switching modes during boot up. Do you have a VGA= on your kernel line?
>> No. Here is the entry in grub.conf
>> title Fedora (2.6.38.2.fc14.i686)
>> root (hd0,1)
>> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686 ro root=/dev/sda2
>> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> initrd /boot/initramfs-2.6.38.2.fc14.i686.img
>>
>>> You might try putting a "nomodeset" and see what it does, but that
>>> option is becoming deprecated as the kernel support for various video
>>> cards improves.
>> I used to have nomodeset. But that had the effect of slowing
>> down switching from one workspace to the next a lot -
>> like it would 2.5 to 3 seconds for the switch-to workspace
>> would display all it's contents. So, an OP advised me to remove
>> it, and that indeed fixed that problem. So, not sure I would
>> want to get back to that "slowdown" - but I will try it just
>> to test.
> I was only suggesting it as a way for you to see the messages. I was
> hoping we could try and figure out what was happening when it mode
> switches and the screen disappears....
>
>> It is the Radeon Mobility 9600 M10.
>> I assume that the F14 Xserver driver is picked
>> automatically. There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> OK, that should be using the stock "ati" driver. I'm using the same
> driver for my Mobility Radeon X1600 without the problems you are seeing.
>
> Try and see if you can find a file in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>
> It is your X11 log file and should contain *much* information that could
> be useful in debugging your problem....

I checked. There is no clue there as far as something going wrong
or failing.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:28 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 04/08/2011 11:03 PM, JD wrote:
>> Try and see if you can find a file in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
>>
>> It is your X11 log file and should contain *much* information that could
>> be useful in debugging your problem....
>>
> I checked. There is no clue there as far as something going wrong
> or failing.

Then its time to bugzilla your problem and get the ati driver folks
involved....