FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
sean darcy
 
Default F14: Power Manager: No "On Battery" tab

With an updated F14 on a laptop, System -> Preferences > Power Manager
comes up with only "On AC Power" and "General". I can see from help
there should be a Battery tab. But not here.

gnome-power-manager-2.32.0-3.fc14.x86_64

How do I get the Battery tab?

sean

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-08-2011, 02:49 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default F14: Power Manager: No "On Battery" tab

On 04/07/2011 07:42 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> With an updated F14 on a laptop, System -> Preferences > Power Manager
> comes up with only "On AC Power" and "General". I can see from help
> there should be a Battery tab. But not here.

What is selected in the Notification Area of the General tab?

You're not booting with "noacpi" are you? I'm not sure how well the
older APM? stuff works with Gnome.

Can you look and see if there is an: /proc/acpi/battery directory?
Does it contain (at least) a BAT0 directory? And in there, you should
find files: alarm info state

If so, try looking at those 3 files. You should be able to see
information about your laptop battery.

Do you have a power-management applet running in one of your panels?
If so, does it show just a power cord, a battery and a power cord, or
just a battery? Does your laptop run without the power cord plugged in?
If so, does the applet icon change when you change the power cord state?

> gnome-power-manager-2.32.0-3.fc14.x86_64
>
> How do I get the Battery tab?

??? It should work if the system detects/recognizes the battery....

> sean

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2011, 02:49 AM
sean darcy
 
Default F14: Power Manager: No "On Battery" tab

On 04/07/2011 10:49 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 07:42 PM, sean darcy wrote:
>> With an updated F14 on a laptop, System -> Preferences> Power Manager
>> comes up with only "On AC Power" and "General". I can see from help
>> there should be a Battery tab. But not here.
>
> What is selected in the Notification Area of the General tab?
>
> You're not booting with "noacpi" are you? I'm not sure how well the
> older APM? stuff works with Gnome.
>
> Can you look and see if there is an: /proc/acpi/battery directory?
> Does it contain (at least) a BAT0 directory? And in there, you should
> find files: alarm info state
>
> If so, try looking at those 3 files. You should be able to see
> information about your laptop battery.
>
> Do you have a power-management applet running in one of your panels?
> If so, does it show just a power cord, a battery and a power cord, or
> just a battery? Does your laptop run without the power cord plugged in?
> If so, does the applet icon change when you change the power cord state?
>
>> gnome-power-manager-2.32.0-3.fc14.x86_64
>>
>> How do I get the Battery tab?
>
> ??? It should work if the system detects/recognizes the battery....
>
>> sean
>

Well /proc/acpi/battery exists. Not BAT0, there is BAT1, but:
ls /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/
alarm info state

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
present: no
present: no
present: no

It's a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop. The battery works. But if I unplug
the power, but the applet icon continues to show just the plug.

And dmesg shows the kernel can't find the battery:

[ 0.909451] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
[ 0.910476] ACPI: acpi_idle yielding to intel_idle
[ 0.914884] ERST: Table is not found!
[ 0.914990] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

The kernel boot parameters are from the install:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 ro
root=UUID=7e1a1084-2795-4511-8d33-0e589af7b6a8 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us

Puzzled.

sean

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2011, 03:01 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default F14: Power Manager: No "On Battery" tab

On 04/08/2011 10:49 PM, sean darcy wrote:
> Well /proc/acpi/battery exists. Not BAT0, there is BAT1, but:
> ls /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/
> alarm info state
>
> cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/*
> present: no
> present: no
> present: no

That's a bad sign. Does your laptop "optionally" support a 2nd battery?
If so, that would be BAT1, which shows as not present. The question is
where is the BAT0 stuff for your primary battery????

> It's a Toshiba Satellite L655 laptop. The battery works. But if I unplug
> the power, but the applet icon continues to show just the plug.

Not good, the system can't tell when you are plugged into the mains or
on battery. It always thinks you are on the mains, and there for never
gives you the battery stuff. You need to figure out why not.

> And dmesg shows the kernel can't find the battery:
>
> [ 0.909451] ACPI: Power Button [PWRF]
> [ 0.910476] ACPI: acpi_idle yielding to intel_idle
> [ 0.914884] ERST: Table is not found!
> [ 0.914990] ACPI: Battery Slot [BAT1] (battery absent)

That looks like a 2nd battery to me (the primary battery should be
BAT0). I'm still wondering where the first battery is.

> The kernel boot parameters are from the install:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 ro
> root=UUID=7e1a1084-2795-4511-8d33-0e589af7b6a8 rd_NO_LUKS rd_NO_LVM
> rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=us

Nothing related to ACPI or APM.

> Puzzled.

Indeed. I'd bugzilla it and get the Gnome Power Management maintainer
involved and see what s/he says about it.

I filled out a bugzilla about changing battery sizes while plugged into
the mains, and we came to the conclusion that the Linux ACPI stuff
doesn't rescan the new battery correctly (wrt battery capacity, it kinda
misses the fact that the capacity has changed and things get funky from
there). Doesn't say they'll find out what wrong, but it helps having
the code maintainers telling us what really is going on....

> sean

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org