FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

Hi,

I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
any).

Thanks in advance.

dmesg output:
=============
[11302.128075] usb 2-2: new low speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 7
[11302.279510] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04b4, idProduct=ed81
[11302.279524] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[11302.279533] usb 2-2: Product: Generic KB-HID
[11302.279539] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Guest
[11302.290970] generic-usb: probe of 0003:04B4:ED81.0006 failed with error -22

lsusb -v:
=========
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 04b4:ed81 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 1
bcdUSB 1.10
bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level)
bDeviceSubClass 0
bDeviceProtocol 0
bMaxPacketSize0 8
idVendor 0x04b4 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
idProduct 0xed81
bcdDevice 2.50
iManufacturer 1
iProduct 2 Generic KB-HID
iSerial 0
bNumConfigurations 1
Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 2
wTotalLength 34
bNumInterfaces 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 4 HID KB
bmAttributes 0xa0
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup
MaxPower 100mA
Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 4
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 1
bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
bInterfaceSubClass 1 Boot Interface Subclass
bInterfaceProtocol 1 Keyboard
iInterface 5 EP1
HID Device Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 33
bcdHID 1.00
bCountryCode 0 Not supported
bNumDescriptors 1
bDescriptorType 34 Report
wDescriptorLength 64
Report Descriptors:
** UNAVAILABLE **
Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 5
bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN
bmAttributes 3
Transfer Type Interrupt
Synch Type None
Usage Type Data
wMaxPacketSize 0x0008 1x 8 bytes
bInterval 10
Device Status: 0x0002
(Bus Powered)
Remote Wakeup Enabled
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
"Manchmal ist es sehr schwer, wach zu bleiben, besonders in der Kirche."
- Oscar Wilde


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:56 +0200, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
> Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
> any).

What does "It doesn't work" mean? It returns bad data? it returns no
data? something crashes? it just sits there and never responds? what?
Presumably you're trying to use it with some application, but you don't
say. Neither do you mention the brand and model (the dmesg dump just
says "generic"), which might mean something to someone.

poc

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Fernando Cassia
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
<nospaze@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * *bInterfaceClass * * * * 3 Human Interface Device
> * * *bInterfaceSubClass * * *1 Boot Interface Subclass
> * * *bInterfaceProtocol * * *1 Keyboard

It´s a keyboard. Most barcode scanners I´ve seen use a keyboard
interface. Older ones used PS2, new ones use USB, but still keyboard
nonetheless.

So, have you tried opening any application (like you favourite editor)
and doing a barcode scan to see if anything gets typed?.

If not, maybe there´s some relation to this bug reported in that other
Linux distro?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/429044
FC
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:45 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:56 +0200, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> > I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
> > Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
> > any).
>
> What does "It doesn't work" mean? It returns bad data? it returns no
> data? something crashes? it just sits there and never responds? what?
> Presumably you're trying to use it with some application, but you don't
> say. Neither do you mention the brand and model (the dmesg dump just
> says "generic"), which might mean something to someone.

Patrick, maybe u missed the rest of my message, with the dmesg output.
Dmesg throws an error when plugging the keyboard (its a barcode reader).
THen... does nothing. It has energy (laser turns and beeps on when
unique button is pressed). But does not generate any keytyping.

Thanks anyway.
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
"Die dümmsten Programmierer haben die längsten Programme."
- Unbekannter Autor


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 09:38 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
> <nospaze@gmail.com> wrote:
> > bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
> > bInterfaceSubClass 1 Boot Interface Subclass
> > bInterfaceProtocol 1 Keyboard
>
> It´s a keyboard. Most barcode scanners I´ve seen use a keyboard
> interface. Older ones used PS2, new ones use USB, but still keyboard
> nonetheless.

Yes it's a keyboard, I know it. But guess what. It does not send
keypresses. It has energy, though.

> So, have you tried opening any application (like you favourite editor)
> and doing a barcode scan to see if anything gets typed?.

Yes. Even a text terminal with ctrl-alt-f2. Nothing sent.

> If not, maybe there´s some relation to this bug reported in that other
> Linux distro?



> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/429044
> FC


--
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
- A mathematician is a machine for converting coffee into theorems.
Paul Erdos


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 09:38 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
> <nospaze@gmail.com> wrote:
> > bInterfaceClass 3 Human Interface Device
> > bInterfaceSubClass 1 Boot Interface Subclass
> > bInterfaceProtocol 1 Keyboard
> If not, maybe there´s some relation to this bug reported in that other
> Linux distro?
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/429044

Nope. not related. Other model, other problem. Sorry 4 answering twice.


----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
"Die höchste Form des Glücks ist ein Leben mit einem gewissen Grad an
Verrücktheit."
- Erasmus von Rotterdam


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 02:21 PM
James McKenzie
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
<nospaze@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:45 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:56 +0200, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
>> > I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
>> > Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
>> > any).
>>
>> What does "It doesn't work" mean? It returns bad data? it returns no
>> data? something crashes? it just sits there and never responds? what?
>> Presumably you're trying to use it with some application, but you don't
>> say. Neither do you mention the brand and model (the dmesg dump just
>> says "generic"), which might mean something to someone.
>
> Patrick, maybe u missed the rest of my message, with the dmesg output.
> Dmesg throws an error when plugging the keyboard (its a barcode reader).
> THen... does nothing. It has energy (laser turns and beeps on when
> unique button is pressed). But does not generate any keytyping.
>
Even though this looks like a keyboard, does it need Windows drivers
to function?

James McKenzie
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
 
Default Barcode reader f14=no win=yes

On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:21 -0700, James McKenzie wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 5:53 AM, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo
> <nospaze@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 07:45 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 10:56 +0200, Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo wrote:
> >> > I got a new barcode reader, but it doesn't work (does in any Win box).
> >> > Am I missing something? Loading any USB keyboard module? (cant guess
> >> > any).
> >>
> >> What does "It doesn't work" mean? It returns bad data? it returns no
> >> data? something crashes? it just sits there and never responds? what?
> >> Presumably you're trying to use it with some application, but you don't
> >> say. Neither do you mention the brand and model (the dmesg dump just
> >> says "generic"), which might mean something to someone.
> >
> > Patrick, maybe u missed the rest of my message, with the dmesg output.
> > Dmesg throws an error when plugging the keyboard (its a barcode reader).
> > THen... does nothing. It has energy (laser turns and beeps on when
> > unique button is pressed). But does not generate any keytyping.
> >
> Even though this looks like a keyboard, does it need Windows drivers
> to function?

Nope. Just pluggin it in any win box (tried XP, Vista, 7). Not debian,
not fedora (though in any mailing list modprobe usbkbd is mentioned to
get it working in debian, which now does not exist now, usb-hid is
included in debian/fedora kernel now).
----------------------------------------------
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze@gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
----------------------------------------------
"Solange Menschen denken, dass Tiere nicht fühlen; müssen Tiere fühlen,
dass Menschen nicht denken."
- Unbekannter Autor


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org