Old 04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
Rod James Bio

Default /etc/passwd and shadow was blank

Hello new fedora user here, long time Linux(debian/ubuntu &
centos) user though. I experienced a problem with one of our server
with Fedora 9(I know its old but the developer insisted this
version).

3 days ago the dev team was suddenly disconnected when they were
uploading files. I was called to assess the problem. ssh was
returning "connection refused" even thoug there was no firewall on
that server according to the devs. When I was not able to login too
I rebooted the server in hope that I only forgotten my own password.
On reboot I dropped to single user mode and noticed that the "/"
partition was full so I cleared unwanted files and another thing is
I noticed that both the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow file was blank.
Good thing there was a copy on /etc called "passwd--" and
"shadow--", I cp'ed those files and rebooted and Voila everything
was fixed.

Now my question is what was the cause why those files had gone
blank? I never experience this kind of problem before in ubuntu and
centos so I was thinking it was a distro-specific problem. I already
search google but the same question had gone unanswered by the
community.

regards

--

Rod James U. Bio

as aj would say, waiting always works
either what you want happens, or you die and cannot
be perturbed anymore
the trouble with this philosophy is that aj
sincerely believes it

Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Joe Zeff

On 04/06/2011 11:54 PM, Rod James Bio wrote:

> Now my question is what was the cause why those files had gone blank? I
> never experience this kind of problem before in ubuntu and centos so I
> was thinking it was a distro-specific problem. I already search google
> but the same question had gone unanswered by the community.

I'm only guessing, you understand, but it's quite possible that the two
problems are related. Some program tried to modify the password file
(and shadow, of course) and as a first step, renamed them to make
backups. Then, it opened /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, creating new
versions but was unable to write to either file because the / partition
was full. (Remember, /etc must be on the / partition because it has to
be available before the other partitions are mounted because that's
where fstab lives.)

Old 04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
Rod James Bio

Now my question is what was the cause why those files had gone blank? I
never experience this kind of problem before in ubuntu and centos so I
was thinking it was a distro-specific problem. I already search google
but the same question had gone unanswered by the community.

I'm only guessing, you understand, but it's quite possible that the two
problems are related. Some program tried to modify the password file
(and shadow, of course) and as a first step, renamed them to make
backups. Then, it opened /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, creating new
versions but was unable to write to either file because the / partition
was full. (Remember, /etc must be on the / partition because it has to
be available before the other partitions are mounted because that's
where fstab lives.)

*

Thanks. That could be it. I'll look for that process. Thanks again

--

Rod James U. Bio

I don't think 'It's better than hurling yourself into a meat
grinder'
is a good rationale for doing something. -- Andrew Suffield in
<20030905221055.GA22354@doc.ic.ac.uk> on debian-devel