Old 04-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Unknown

Default Hardware for learning graphics.

On 04/07/2011 02:31:27 PM, Phatsakone Chanhchom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am planning to buy computer hardwares and assemble them by myself,
> with installing 64-bit Fedora OS.
>
> My purpose is to learn using gimp, inkscape, blender, scribus etc.
> kinda multimedias stuff.
>
> Can you tell me both minimal and maximal hardware specifications
> (system requirements) that meet my demands.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Ricco

Hi Ricco
I use all those every day.
First I would suggest that you use Ubuntu 10.10 not Fedora 14 for the
above.
I use both Fedora 14 and Ubuntu10.10 and much prefer ubuntu for ease of
installing and management.

It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
reccomend it.
The Fedora 3D is not yet able to do good work with Blender.

Build using a gigabyte motherboard
core 2 Duo processor
Nvidia GT8600 or better graphics card.
2 gig ram to start.
250 gig SATA hard drive/s
Power supply, use a very good quality
get a surge protector.
Flat screen monitor Dell 24 inch is great and has very good colour
capability.

There is no benefit in using more than a Core 2 Duo CPU - later cpu's
are not faster and do not offer better capabilities but do consume more
power for no significant advantage.

Core 2 duo has a major advantage in that if and when the cooling fins
or fan get blocked with dust it slows down noticably but will not
explode into flames like other cpu's are known to do when over heated.

Use heat conducting grease between CPU and cooling fins but use alomst
none, just a thin smear , almost invisible.
any more and it will harden and cause overheating.

The above combination should dispaly between 15% and 80% cup usage with
up to 7 windows open and working simultaneously.
Swap space 5 percent usage.
Memory between 15 and 45 percent usage, usually about 20 percent.
So for me the above computeris over worked and is almost instantaneous
except for inkscape which is very slow to load and glunky to work with.

Hope this helps
Roger

Old 04-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Marvin Kosmal

On 4/6/11, Unknown <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/2011 02:31:27 PM, Phatsakone Chanhchom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am planning to buy computer hardwares and assemble them by myself,
>> with installing 64-bit Fedora OS.
>>
>> My purpose is to learn using gimp, inkscape, blender, scribus etc.
>> kinda multimedias stuff.
>>
>> Can you tell me both minimal and maximal hardware specifications
>> (system requirements) that meet my demands.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Ricco
>>
> Hi Ricco
> I use all those every day.
> First I would suggest that you use Ubuntu 10.10 not Fedora 14 for the
> above.
> I use both Fedora 14 and Ubuntu10.10 and much prefer ubuntu for ease of
> installing and management.
>
> It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
> reccomend it.
> The Fedora 3D is not yet able to do good work with Blender.
>
> Build using a gigabyte motherboard
> core 2 Duo processor
> Nvidia GT8600 or better graphics card.
> 2 gig ram to start.
> 250 gig SATA hard drive/s
> Power supply, use a very good quality
> get a surge protector.
> Flat screen monitor Dell 24 inch is great and has very good colour
> capability.
>
> There is no benefit in using more than a Core 2 Duo CPU - later cpu's
> are not faster and do not offer better capabilities but do consume more
> power for no significant advantage.
>
> Core 2 duo has a major advantage in that if and when the cooling fins
> or fan get blocked with dust it slows down noticably but will not
> explode into flames like other cpu's are known to do when over heated.
>
> Use heat conducting grease between CPU and cooling fins but use alomst
> none, just a thin smear , almost invisible.
> any more and it will harden and cause overheating.
>
> The above combination should dispaly between 15% and 80% cup usage with
> up to 7 windows open and working simultaneously.
> Swap space 5 percent usage.
> Memory between 15 and 45 percent usage, usually about 20 percent.
> So for me the above computeris over worked and is almost instantaneous
> except for inkscape which is very slow to load and glunky to work with.
>
> Hope this helps
> Roger

It is HARD to get hard drives that small anymore..

HTH

Marvin

Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 AM
Joe Zeff

On 04/06/2011 10:05 PM, Unknown wrote:
> It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
> reccomend it.

There, at least, I have to differ. If you use the guides at the Fedora
Forum or install fedoraplus (I've given pointers to both, recently, but
will be happy to do so again.) getting the nVidia drivers working is a
snap. What's hard is installing the binary blob from the OEM,
especially as you'll have to do it again every time the kernel updates.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/07/2011 01:19 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 10:05 PM, Unknown wrote:
>> It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
>> reccomend it.
> There, at least, I have to differ. If you use the guides at the Fedora
> Forum or install fedoraplus (I've given pointers to both, recently, but
> will be happy to do so again.) getting the nVidia drivers working is a
> snap. What's hard is installing the binary blob from the OEM,
> especially as you'll have to do it again every time the kernel updates.

I also have to differ...and to differ. :-)

I use the binary from nVidia along with dkms and it rebuilds every thing
just fine when the kernel updates. :-)

--
This novel is not to be tossed lightly aside, but to be hurled with
great force. -- Dorothy Parker 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Unknown

On 04/07/2011 03:19:31 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 10:05 PM, Unknown wrote:
>> It is too difficult to use Nvidia graphics with Fedora and I do not
>> reccomend it.
>
> There, at least, I have to differ. If you use the guides at the
> Fedora
> Forum or install fedoraplus (I've given pointers to both, recently,
> but
> will be happy to do so again.) getting the nVidia drivers working is a
> snap. What's hard is installing the binary blob from the OEM,
> especially as you'll have to do it again every time the kernel
> updates.
> --

Yep, I do agree, however that ceases to be an issue with Ubuntu.
For a newbie, it's a neat way to quickly get up and learning apps
instead of updates.
For me the apps are it, the OS is just the means to drive the apps.
Once a person has confidence then updates regardless of OS type cease
to be a consideration.
Roger

Old 04-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Unknown

> It is HARD to get hard drives that small anymore..
>
> HTH
>
> Marvin
> --
Yep, that is so but it's a comlete waste.
Roger

Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Joel Rees

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Marvin Kosmal <mkosmal@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/6/11, Unknown <arelem@bigpond.com> wrote:
>> On 04/07/2011 02:31:27 PM, Phatsakone Chanhchom wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am planning to buy computer hardwares and assemble them by myself,
>>> with installing 64-bit Fedora OS.
>>>
>>> My purpose is to learn using gimp, inkscape, blender, scribus etc.
>>> kinda multimedias stuff.
>>>
>>> Can you tell me both minimal and maximal hardware specifications
>>> (system requirements) that meet my demands.
>>>
>>> [...]
>> [...]
>> Build using a gigabyte motherboard
>> core 2 Duo processor
>> Nvidia GT8600 or better graphics card.
>> 2 gig ram to start.
>> 250 gig SATA hard drive/s
>> Power supply, use a very good quality
>> get a surge protector.
>> Flat screen monitor Dell 24 inch is great and has very good colour
>> capability.
>>
>> [...]
>

> It is HARD to get hard drives that small anymore..

Ergo, minumum 250G?

And it's not that hard, the requirement just eliminates certain
classes of portables and certain cheap boxes being marketed to the
unaware.

Although, I used to do some basic graphics and sound editing and
filtering on an ancient iBook G4 at 1.2G, with 768MRAM, with an 11
inch screen. (But it died the well-known
cold-solder-on-the-graphics-chip death, and my soldering iron tip is
not small enough.) Which is to say that an ordinary modern netbook
could do some of the basic stuff pretty well.

Just not blender. And, of course, it's easy to find onself playing
around on large images with certain interesting filters in gimp and
overpowering whatever you have, so the more CPU and RAM, the better.

I think I'd add a Terabyte drive for backup purposes, myself, although
keeping to 250G plus a 50 pack of DVD-Rs, may help develop better
habits about leaving useless junk around.