Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Joe Zeff

Default FC13 PS2 Mouse/Keyboard stops working after a while

On 04/05/2011 02:14 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
> So maybe this is an issue
> with X. I'm using the nVidia binary blob driver but the problem was
> there with the nouveau driver.

You need to understand that the nVidia driver has to be re-installed
every time the kernel is updated. My advice is go here and follow the
instructions for installing the Fedora version of the drivers:

If you go the basic route with kmod-nvidia, the kmod will generally
update at about the same time as the kernel; if not, don't try the new
kernel until it does, generally within a day or so. If you use
akmod-nvidia, it will build a new kmod on the fly at boot if needed. It
does, however, need the appropriate kernel-devel package installed and
for some reason, it's not properly listed as a dependency. I don't know
why Leigh didn't mention that in his guide, but you only need to worry
about it once, because that gets updated along with the kernel. Don't
forget that once you've done the installation, you need to get into init
3 and uninstall the binary blob before rebooting into X.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Ken Smith

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 02:14 PM, Ken Smith wrote:
>> So maybe this is an issue
>> with X. I'm using the nVidia binary blob driver but the problem was
>> there with the nouveau driver.
>
> You need to understand that the nVidia driver has to be re-installed
> every time the kernel is updated. My advice is go here and follow the
> instructions for installing the Fedora version of the drivers:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752
>
> If you go the basic route with kmod-nvidia, the kmod will generally
> update at about the same time as the kernel; if not, don't try the new
> kernel until it does, generally within a day or so. If you use
> akmod-nvidia, it will build a new kmod on the fly at boot if needed.
> It does, however, need the appropriate kernel-devel package installed
> and for some reason, it's not properly listed as a dependency. I
> don't know why Leigh didn't mention that in his guide, but you only
> need to worry about it once, because that gets updated along with the
> kernel. Don't forget that once you've done the installation, you need
> to get into init 3 and uninstall the binary blob before rebooting into X.

Sorry my bad explanation - I'm using kmod-nvidia. But, as I said, the
problem pre existed my use of the nvidia driver.

Thanks Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
"compdoc"

> The problem is that I have some other hardware that does not work all
>that well after suspend/hibernate and so I can have either that hardware
>(M-Audio 1010) working and the mouse at risk of failing or the 1010 not
>working.

So what you're saying is, while the M-Audio 1010 is working the ps/2 stuff
fails, and when the M-Audio 1010 has stopped working due to
suspend/hibernate the PS/2 stuff works fine. Coincidence?

I find it odd that anything would interfere with a ps/2 keyboard, since it's
on such a low and well known IRQ. Keyboard is 1 and mouse is 12.

APIC is enabled in the bios?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Ken Smith

compdoc wrote:
>> The problem is that I have some other hardware that does not work all
>> that well after suspend/hibernate and so I can have either that hardware
>> (M-Audio 1010) working and the mouse at risk of failing or the 1010 not
>> working.
>>

> So what you're saying is, while the M-Audio 1010 is working the ps/2 stuff
> fails, and when the M-Audio 1010 has stopped working due to
> suspend/hibernate the PS/2 stuff works fine. Coincidence?
>
> I find it odd that anything would interfere with a ps/2 keyboard, since it's
> on such a low and well known IRQ. Keyboard is 1 and mouse is 12.
>
> APIC is enabled in the bios?

It is odd as PS2 interfaces and 8042's are as old as the hills.

Following your reply I monitored /proc/interrupts (via a remote ssh
session) and I can see the count of keyboard interrupts rising on CPU2
and the mouse ones on CPU3. When the failure occurs the counts stop
rising. If I suspend/resume the machine the count then rises again as
the PS2 devices are working once more.

So it seems like the 8042 stops interrupting the processor, or the
processor/apic is ignoring them, or something along those lines. The
evidence is that keyboard & mouse cease functioning and the interrupt
count stops rising.

Noticeable things about this are:-

* The fault only occurs with X running
* Both keyboard and mouse are affected
* USB mouse still works
* Fault vanishes after suspend/resume
* cpu0 has a few interrupts logged and then the count rises on cpu2
(keyboard) and cpu3 (mouse)

As far as I can see there are no APIC settings in the BIOS on this
motherboard

I did notice that one of my two Delta 1010's share an interrupt with the
video card so I will need to move that card to another slot

xorg.conf includes

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Cat'ing /dev/input/mice produces a stream of characters. I was waiting
for the system to fail while doing that before sending this message but
the mouse/keyboard are still working. Its Heisenberg's Uncertainty
Principle at work.....

Maybe I'll need to brew up some code to log the traffic to the 8042

Anyone else seen this?

Thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Joe Zeff

On 04/06/2011 10:28 AM, Ken Smith wrote:
> Its Heisenberg's Uncertainty
> Principle at work.....

Yes, and there's a name for it: Heisenbug. See
http://foldoc.org/heisenbug for details.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Ken Smith

Ken Smith wrote:
> compdoc wrote:
>
>>> The problem is that I have some other hardware that does not work all
>>> that well after suspend/hibernate and so I can have either that hardware
>>> (M-Audio 1010) working and the mouse at risk of failing or the 1010 not
>>> working.
>>>

>> So what you're saying is, while the M-Audio 1010 is working the ps/2 stuff
>> fails, and when the M-Audio 1010 has stopped working due to
>> suspend/hibernate the PS/2 stuff works fine. Coincidence?
>>
>> I find it odd that anything would interfere with a ps/2 keyboard, since it's
>> on such a low and well known IRQ. Keyboard is 1 and mouse is 12.
>>
>> APIC is enabled in the bios?
>>

> It is odd as PS2 interfaces and 8042's are as old as the hills.
>
> Following your reply I monitored /proc/interrupts (via a remote ssh
> session) and I can see the count of keyboard interrupts rising on CPU2
> and the mouse ones on CPU3. When the failure occurs the counts stop
> rising. If I suspend/resume the machine the count then rises again as
> the PS2 devices are working once more.
>
> So it seems like the 8042 stops interrupting the processor, or the
> processor/apic is ignoring them, or something along those lines. The
> evidence is that keyboard& mouse cease functioning and the interrupt
> count stops rising.
>
> Noticeable things about this are:-
>
> * The fault only occurs with X running
> * Both keyboard and mouse are affected
> * USB mouse still works
> * Fault vanishes after suspend/resume
> * cpu0 has a few interrupts logged and then the count rises on cpu2
> (keyboard) and cpu3 (mouse)
>
> As far as I can see there are no APIC settings in the BIOS on this
> motherboard
>
> I did notice that one of my two Delta 1010's share an interrupt with the
> video card so I will need to move that card to another slot
>
> xorg.conf includes
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> # generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "keyboard"
> Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> # generated from default
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "auto"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
> EndSection
>

> Cat'ing /dev/input/mice produces a stream of characters. I was waiting
> for the system to fail while doing that before sending this message but
> the mouse/keyboard are still working. Its Heisenberg's Uncertainty
> Principle at work.....
>
> Maybe I'll need to brew up some code to log the traffic to the 8042
>
> Anyone else seen this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken

As it happens, just after sending the last message the mouse/keyboard
stopped working. Once it had stopped the stream of characters was no
longer available from /dev/input/mice when I use the PS2 mouse. As
before the USB mouse works.

Given what has been said about the 1010, I'll move its slot to try to
get that potential problem out of the way.

Thanks Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
James Wilkinson

Ken Smith wrote:
> I've seem problems like this reported in various forums. I have a i7
> Asus MB system with FC13 x64 and I'm using a PS2 keyboard and mouse.
> They are old but they work well.
>
> After the machine has been running for around 10-15 mins all input from
> the keyboard and mouse fails. The system keeps running, X updates, I can
> ssh into the machine and if I plug in a USB mouse that works.
<snip>
> Are there some diagnostic steps I could do. I have run the machine in
> RL3 and the keyboard seams to stay working. So maybe this is an issue
> with X. I'm using the nVidia binary blob driver but the problem was
> there with the nouveau driver. Maybe the driver for the PS2 device is
> suspect???

Stupid debugging idea 1: does it make any difference if you power-up
with the PS/2 mouse unplugged and the USB mouse plugged in? If you could
borrow a USB keyboard, you could try a similar trick with that.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail: james@ | "I would like to apologise to the relatives of the fan
aprilcottage.co.uk | who gave me 29 books to sign in Odyssey 7, Manchester.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Joe Zeff

On 04/06/2011 11:57 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
> Stupid debugging idea 1: does it make any difference if you power-up
> with the PS/2 mouse unplugged and the USB mouse plugged in? If you could
> borrow a USB keyboard, you could try a similar trick with that.

Not stupid at all. In fact, I'll go farther and ask if you have tried
swapping in a different keyboard or mouse? Or, have you tried swapping
either of them to a different computer to see if the trouble follows
them? It's not the type of thing I'd normally think of (I'm *not* a
hardware person.) but now that James mentioned it, it looks like an
excellent possibility. If nothing else, it's easy to test.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Ken Smith

Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 11:57 AM, James Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Stupid debugging idea 1: does it make any difference if you power-up
>> with the PS/2 mouse unplugged and the USB mouse plugged in? If you could
>> borrow a USB keyboard, you could try a similar trick with that.
>>
> Not stupid at all. In fact, I'll go farther and ask if you have tried
> swapping in a different keyboard or mouse? Or, have you tried swapping
> either of them to a different computer to see if the trouble follows
> them? It's not the type of thing I'd normally think of (I'm *not* a
> hardware person.) but now that James mentioned it, it looks like an
> excellent possibility. If nothing else, it's easy to test.

The same hardware boots "another" operating system that does not show
these symptoms at all. But what you say is a sensible debugging
approach. I might just ditch the PS2 keyboard & mouse to bypass the
problem....

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 PM
John Mellor

On Wed, 2011-04-06 at 10:31 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 07:20:40 PM compdoc wrote:
> > So what you're saying is, while the M-Audio 1010 is working the ps/2 stuff
> > fails, and when the M-Audio 1010 has stopped working due to
> > suspend/hibernate the PS/2 stuff works fine. Coincidence?
> >
> > I find it odd that anything would interfere with a ps/2 keyboard, since it's
> > on such a low and well known IRQ. Keyboard is 1 and mouse is 12.
>
> I've seen issues with the M-Audio Delta 1010 and other Envy24-based boards with IRQ steering; I have a laptop with a dock that has a PCI slot in it, and have run a Delta 1010LT (same Envy24/ICE1712 chip; and it's the older 'still works with Linux/ALSA' version) in it.
>
> If I loaded the nvidia kmod, the nvidia GPU grabs an IRQ; just so happens the PCI slot in the dock and the GPU share the same physical INT line, and either the nvidia or the Envy24's driver apparently doesn't handle IRQ sharing very well. With the nvidia kmod loaded, I get frequent ALSA xruns, which glitch the audio. Running the alternative nvidia drivers found in Fedora just causes performance to drop substantially; I then get JACK xruns, and still have glitches.... This is both with and without the preemption-RT patched kernel. But it was an older Fedora; haven't tried in a while, since I installed the Delta 1010LT somewhere else and began using a different audio interface on the laptop.
>
> To the OP: try putting the Delta 1010 in a different physical PCI slot, or use a USB keyboard (just make sure, using 'cat /proc/interrupts' that the ice1712 entry has its own IRQ and doesn't share with anything else).

Interesting. I have the opposite problem on my abit motherboard. The
PS2 mouse happens to work and my preferred USB mouse just locks up about
5 times per day.

Is this a known problem with a simple fix?