Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Luc MAIGNAN

Default XEN vs VirtualBox

Hi,

until now, I use VirtualBox to manage several virtual machines. I have
performances problems. I can see that the VMS don't use really all CPU
capabilities. I think that the problem come from the CPU emulation done
by VirtualBox.

So I said to me that the solution is to use a real hypervisor. I planned
tu use XEN for doing this.

Do you think that I can really use CPU capabilities by using XEN ?
Is there is way then to convert VB image to XEN domains ?

Thanks for any help

--
Luc
RHCE

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Digimer

On 04/05/2011 12:09 PM, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> until now, I use VirtualBox to manage several virtual machines. I have
> performances problems. I can see that the VMS don't use really all CPU
> capabilities. I think that the problem come from the CPU emulation done
> by VirtualBox.
>
> So I said to me that the solution is to use a real hypervisor. I planned
> tu use XEN for doing this.
>
> Do you think that I can really use CPU capabilities by using XEN ?
> Is there is way then to convert VB image to XEN domains ?
>
> Thanks for any help

If you are using recent versions of Fedora, you might want to look at
KVM as it is has native support. Xen is a great hypervisor, but it
currently requires more effort to get working. If you want to use Xen
"out of the box", then I'd recommend looking at CentOS 5.5.

Both KVM and Xen support hardware virtualization.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Digimer

Old 04-05-2011, 04:33 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Tue, 2011-04-05 at 12:29 -0400, Digimer wrote:
> On 04/05/2011 12:09 PM, Luc MAIGNAN wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > until now, I use VirtualBox to manage several virtual machines. I have
> > performances problems. I can see that the VMS don't use really all CPU
> > capabilities. I think that the problem come from the CPU emulation done
> > by VirtualBox.
> >
> > So I said to me that the solution is to use a real hypervisor. I planned
> > tu use XEN for doing this.
> >
> > Do you think that I can really use CPU capabilities by using XEN ?
> > Is there is way then to convert VB image to XEN domains ?
> >
> > Thanks for any help
>
> If you are using recent versions of Fedora, you might want to look at
> KVM as it is has native support. Xen is a great hypervisor, but it
> currently requires more effort to get working. If you want to use Xen
> "out of the box", then I'd recommend looking at CentOS 5.5.
>
> Both KVM and Xen support hardware virtualization.

As does VirtualBox (and VMware for that matter). Perhaps the OP doesn't
have hardware virtualization support?

poc

Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Luc MAIGNAN

It is a 6 x Quad-Core server with virtualization support enabled (runs
on RHEL 5)