Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Linuxguy123

Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 21:31 +0100, David Hough wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 09:08 +0000, Tim wrote:
>
> > Joe Zeff
> >
> > Linuxguy123:
> > > Have you tried using a dual monitor setup. I find it indispensable.
> > > Right now I am typing an email in my left display while watching a
> > > download in the right one. Its not the same as having both windows in
> > > one display, its better. For one thing, you never have to worry about a
> > > window in one display covering up a window in the other display, even if
> > > the other app does funny things with the focus.
> >
> > I have, but I do find it a bit of an organisational pain. And some
> > things are far less than intuitive to use when their controls are on the
> > next screen. I've also had to deal with using two computers side by
> > side, and that was slightly less painful for some things. e.g. Web site
> > work, with editing on one, and checking on the other.
> >
> > By the time you get around to playing with dual monitors, you might want
> > to consider if what you really want is one *HUGE* monitor with very high
> > resolution.
> >
> Two monitors does occasionally confuse a program,

Yep. Like the bookmarks on Konqueror. The first time you open them
they open on the primary monitor. The second time they open at 0,0
which in my case is the secondary monitor.

> but generally I find
> it helpful because I can set something to full screen and it occupies a
> single monitor, leaving the other for other things.

Yes, that is the beauty. Each screen is its own desktop as far as
minimizing, overlap and maximizing goes. Its really nice.