Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Fedora User (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/)
-   -   Claws versus Evolution for email. (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/509874-claws-versus-evolution-email.html)

"mattias" 04-04-2011 05:45 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
Gnome or kde?

-----Original Message-----
From: users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org
[mailto:users-bounces@lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Linuxguy123
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 7:42 PM
To: users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Claws versus Evolution for email.


I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of Claws versus Evolution for
handling email.

I'm subscribed to about 10 email groups. I do a ton of filtering, into
about 20 different folders.

I don't have anything against Evolution. I've been using it for almost 10
years. However, it seems a bit stale and jaded.

How is Claws compared to Evolution ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claws_Mail

http://www.claws-mail.org/

What is the Perl filtering and Python scripting about ?

Thanks !



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Linuxguy123 04-04-2011 05:56 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 19:45 +0200, mattias wrote:
> Gnome or kde?

I run KDE.

Claws appears to be "Gnome" based, but also runs on Windows ?


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 04-04-2011 06:16 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
> Claws appears to be "Gnome" based, but also runs on Windows ?

Claws is the default email client for XFCE. In my opinion it is the
"almost perfect" email program. Very easily customisable and even the
defaults are very sane (e.g. plain text emails). I also find the
searching facilities absolutely amazing.

As for your question about perl and python scripts, claws allows you
to use perl and python scripts for filtering and other customisations.
However I haven't tried either of the two, but only because I don't
know any of the languages.

I don't have any experience with Evolution so I can't compare.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Joe Zeff 04-04-2011 06:24 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On 04/04/2011 11:16 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> Claws is the default email client for XFCE. In my opinion it is the
> "almost perfect" email program. Very easily customisable and even the
> defaults are very sane (e.g. plain text emails).

From what I can tell, more and more people simply adore html emails and
would find that an unpleasant default. Not that I agree with them, mind
you. And, of course, that type of person probably wouldn't be using
XFCE, even if they were forced, screaming and kicking, to use Linux.
For those of us who are more interested in what our emails say than in
how they look, plain text email is an excellent default.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 04-04-2011 07:11 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 11:16 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
>> Claws is the default email client for XFCE. In my opinion it is the
>> "almost perfect" email program. Very easily customisable and even the
>> defaults are very sane (e.g. plain text emails).
>
> *From what I can tell, more and more people simply adore html emails and
> would find that an unpleasant default. *Not that I agree with them, mind
> you. *And, of course, that type of person probably wouldn't be using
> XFCE, even if they were forced, screaming and kicking, to use Linux.
> For those of us who are more interested in what our emails say than in
> how they look, plain text email is an excellent default.

Agreed. :)

And since we have no control on what others use, for html emails claws
strips all html and shows them as plain text. But if you wish there is
also an html email viewer plugin which lets you see the original
properly rendered within claws. Also features like the ability to hand
pick the mime type of attachments makes it what I previously worded as
"almost perfect". :)

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Tom Horsley 04-04-2011 07:28 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:41:42 -0600
Linuxguy123 wrote:

> I'm interested to hear the pros and cons of Claws versus Evolution for
> handling email.

I chucked evolution a while back after the 3,721 update added
yet another kwel feature I didn't need, but didn't fix any
existing bugs. I like claws infinitely more (for one thing, it
has no slug-like behavior).

I don't use claws filtering though, I run a local dovecot
server (so I can do things like access my mail remotely
from my phone if I want to via IMAP), and the dovecot-pigeonhole
plugin works for all my filtering needs, and gets the mail
in the right mailboxes without the need of a mail client to
do it.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Linuxguy123 04-04-2011 07:44 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 15:28 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I don't use claws filtering though, I run a local dovecot
> server (so I can do things like access my mail remotely
> from my phone if I want to via IMAP), and the dovecot-pigeonhole
> plugin works for all my filtering needs, and gets the mail
> in the right mailboxes without the need of a mail client to
> do it.

Very interesting and cool.

This is why I ask questions that have seemingly simple answers on this
board. So much knowledge and experience and everyone does things a bit
differently.

Thanks for the reply !

LG

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Piscium 04-04-2011 07:53 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On 4 April 2011 20:44, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is why I ask questions that have seemingly simple answers on this
> board. *So much knowledge and experience and everyone does things a bit
> differently.

I had never heard of Claws before. I am currently using Thunderbird.
How does Claws compare with it?
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

suvayu ali 04-04-2011 08:08 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 20:44, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is why I ask questions that have seemingly simple answers on this
>> board. *So much knowledge and experience and everyone does things a bit
>> differently.
>
> I had never heard of Claws before. I am currently using Thunderbird.
> How does Claws compare with it?

I used to be a Thunderbird user. I switched to claws because it is
much more responsive and not a resource hog. However my search for an
alternate email client started because I felt the search interface for
Thunderbird was either easy and restrictive or flexible and cumbersome
depending on which one whether you are using quick or full search.

I wanted more control over how I search the meta information in my
emails. With claws this is very smooth with its easily constructed
search queries for the "extended search" interface. I think the
philosophy is similar to how GMail search behaves but with
capabilities much beyond that (e.g. searching with external utilities,
searching email headers, support for regular expressions)

I hope this helps.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Genes MailLists 04-04-2011 08:29 PM

Claws versus Evolution for email.
 
On 04/04/2011 03:53 PM, Piscium wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 20:44, Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This is why I ask questions that have seemingly simple answers on this
>> board. So much knowledge and experience and everyone does things a bit
>> differently.
>
> I had never heard of Claws before. I am currently using Thunderbird.
> How does Claws compare with it?


Thunderbird - email for the graphically flared
Claws - email for the textually preferred ..

yeh not the best rhyme ... tho if you say "prefair" with a Boston
accent it may fly ... :-)

(1) Structured email.

If you receive (or send) structured email -
bullet lists, tables, highlights etc ... you may prefer
something which supports structure (like thunderbird, evolution).

If you seldom receive or send structured content then you
may not need html support (like on this mailing list).

(2) encryption
Both support gpg -
TB additionally supports s/mime certs (cannot find it in claws -
anywone know for sure - tho I imagine it is there?)

If you're communicating with any .mil (or someone who uses this
encryption) you may need s/mime cert support.

I'm sure there are plenty of other diffs ... both are fast (TB needs
gloda disabled as that is definitely poop) ...

Finally, I'd always advise being essentially client indifferent - so
never tie to a particular client's local storage formats for example.
Always leave all mail on an imap server - make a local dovecot if you
need to ... that way you can switch clients (and back) at almost no cost.

gene/




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.