Old 04-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Karol Babioch

Default No sound over hdmi after suspend

Hi,

I'm on Fedora 14 with the following sound setup: I've got my television
connected over hdmi using the onboard graphics card of the Core i3 550.
Futhermore I have a sound system connected to my mainboard using TOSLINK.

This works great right after the reboot. However after a suspend I have
no sound on my television. There must be something wrong within one of
the sound modules. I've also tried a vanilla 2.6.37 kernel, which hasn't
resolved this issue .

In order to get this fixed (and to get sound without rebooting time and
again) I need to figure out which is the responsible module. My guess
would be snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi.

However I can't figure out how to reload this module. Neither rmmod nor
modprobe seem to work and both claim that the module is still in use.
The force parameter doesn't help .

I've also tried to unload the whole sound stack, but there are a lot of
modules and I can't figure out how to unload even just one of them:

[root@htpcf ~]# lsmod | grep -i snd
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi 9993 1
snd_hda_codec_realtek 298572 1
snd_hda_intel 24479 1
snd_hda_codec 86743 3
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_ hda_intel
snd_hwdep 6392 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 80190 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 19892 1 snd_pcm
snd 63984 9
snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_ hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_time r
soundcore 6576 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 7559 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

What would be the right way (order) to unload snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch

Old 04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Ian Malone

On 4 April 2011 13:00, Karol Babioch <karol@babioch.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on Fedora 14 with the following sound setup: I've got my television
> connected over hdmi using the onboard graphics card of the Core i3 550.
> Futhermore I have a sound system connected to my mainboard using TOSLINK.
>
> This works great right after the reboot. However after a suspend I have
> no sound on my television. There must be something wrong within one of
> the sound modules. I've also tried a vanilla 2.6.37 kernel, which hasn't
> resolved this issue .
>
> In order to get this fixed (and to get sound without rebooting time and
> again) I need to figure out which is the responsible module. My guess
> would be snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi.
>
> However I can't figure out how to reload this module. Neither rmmod nor
> modprobe seem to work and both claim that the module is still in use.
> The force parameter doesn't help .

Can't remember which one you have to start with, but you need to
unload pulse to do this. The system brings pulse back very quickly, so
to avoid messing about too much, in the past I've done:
$ rmmod -w MODNAME
which waits till the module is free and then in a separate window:
$ pulseaudio -k

I think you might be able to remove snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi straight
away, either that or do the rmmod -w on snd and then use modprobe -r
on snd_hda_codec_intelhdmi once snd is gone. However it might be that
stuff has got into a state where the error isn't contained in the
module and re-loading it doesn't fix things.

--
imalone