Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Jim

Default Changing Owner on a backup drive

Fedora 14

I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
files are Linux files.

The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
only readable by Michael.

How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
permitted.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 AM
JD

On 04/03/2011 06:41 PM, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 14
>
> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
> files are Linux files.
>
> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
> only readable by Michael.
>
> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
> permitted.

Unmount the drive, then
Change your fstab as follows:
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup vfat
uid=TheUIDyouWant,gid=TheGIDyouWant,user,rw,sync 0 0

The sync option is up to you. I use it because USB itself is not a very
reliable connection.

Remount the drive.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Harald Hoyer

Am 04.04.11 04:16, schrieb JD:
> On 04/03/2011 06:41 PM, Jim wrote:
>> Fedora 14
>>
>> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
>> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
>> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
>> files are Linux files.
>>
>> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
>> only readable by Michael.
>>
>> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
>> permitted.
>>

> Unmount the drive, then
> Change your fstab as follows:
> /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup vfat
> uid=TheUIDyouWant,gid=TheGIDyouWant,user,rw,sync 0 0
>
> The sync option is up to you. I use it because USB itself is not a very
> reliable connection.
>
> Remount the drive.

Better reference the drive by /dev/disk/by-.... than with /dev/sdb1.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 AM
JD

On 04/03/2011 11:13 PM, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Am 04.04.11 04:16, schrieb JD:
>> On 04/03/2011 06:41 PM, Jim wrote:
>>> Fedora 14
>>>
>>> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
>>> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
>>> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
>>> files are Linux files.
>>>
>>> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
>>> only readable by Michael.
>>>
>>> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
>>> permitted.
>>>

>> Unmount the drive, then
>> Change your fstab as follows:
>> /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup vfat
>> uid=TheUIDyouWant,gid=TheGIDyouWant,user,rw,sync 0 0
>>
>> The sync option is up to you. I use it because USB itself is not a very
>> reliable connection.
>>
>> Remount the drive.
>>
> Better reference the drive by /dev/disk/by-.... than with /dev/sdb1.
Actually, the best thing to do is to use the uuid.
But I did not want to add an extra burden on the OP.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Johan Scheepers

On 04/04/2011 08:35 AM, JD wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 11:13 PM, Harald Hoyer wrote:

>>> Unmount the drive, then
>>> Change your fstab as follows:
>>> /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup vfat
>>> uid=TheUIDyouWant,gid=TheGIDyouWant,user,rw,sync 0 0
>>>
>>> The sync option is up to you. I use it because USB itself is not a very
>>> reliable connection.
>>>
>>> Remount the drive.
>>>
>> Better reference the drive by /dev/disk/by-.... than with /dev/sdb1.
> Actually, the best thing to do is to use the uuid.
> But I did not want to add an extra burden on the OP.

I suggest use the " label " it is easy and works very nicely

Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 21:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
> Fedora 14
>
> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
> files are Linux files.
>
> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
> only readable by Michael.
>
> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
> permitted.

Chown can't be done as root?

Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Craig White

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 07:20 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 21:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
> > Fedora 14
> >
> > I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
> > that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
> > Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
> > files are Linux files.
> >
> > The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
> > only readable by Michael.
> >
> > How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
> > permitted.
> >

> Chown can't be done as root?
----
the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
then Michael is the owner.

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Ed Greshko

On 04/04/2011 08:24 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 07:20 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 21:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
>>> Fedora 14
>>>
>>> I have a backup drive at sdb1 a Vfat (fat32) partition a USB hard drive
>>> that before upgrading from Fedora 13 to Fedora 14 , the owner was
>>> Michael , but after upgrade it is now owned by root. all the backup
>>> files are Linux files.
>>>
>>> The drive is mounted at /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup from /etc/fstab and is
>>> only readable by Michael.
>>>
>>> How do I change the owner back to Michael , the chown command is not
>>> permitted.
>>>

>> Chown can't be done as root?
> ----
> the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
> drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
> then Michael is the owner.

My goodness.....

It is a vfat formated drive. It is being done with an entry in /etc/fstab.

Hasn't anyone heard of "mount options"? Specifically, uid=value and
gid=value :-)

--
Schapiro's Explanation: The grass is always greener on the other side --
but that's because they use more manure. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段

Old 04-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Jim

On 04/04/2011 10:38 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 08:24 PM, Craig White wrote:

>>> Chown can't be done as root?
>> ----
>> the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
>> drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
>> then Michael is the owner.
>>

> My goodness.....
>
> It is a vfat formated drive. It is being done with an entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> Hasn't anyone heard of "mount options"? Specifically, uid=value and
> gid=value :-)

Yes, JD has

Old 04-04-2011, 03:20 PM
JD

On 04/04/2011 07:38 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/04/2011 08:24 PM, Craig White wrote:

>>> Chown can't be done as root?
>> ----
>> the files are owned by whomever 'mounted' the drive. If root mounts the
>> drive, then the files are owned by root. If Michael mounts the drive,
>> then Michael is the owner.
>>

> My goodness.....
>
> It is a vfat formated drive. It is being done with an entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> Hasn't anyone heard of "mount options"? Specifically, uid=value and
> gid=value :-)
Which essentially was my reply to the OP.