Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Guilherme Patriota

Default kmod-catalyst breaks install with ATI HD4570

Anyone else have broken a fedora install installing kmod-catalyst? The graphic card is HD4570, I've installed it 3 times and all 3 times I've installed it broke the system. The second time I managed to uninstall it, but not in the first or third time I've installed it.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Guilherme Patriota
<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:
> The second time I managed to uninstall it, but not in the first or third
> time I've installed it.

Doesn't this work?

# yum remove kmod-catalyst

--
Suvayu

Old 04-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Guilherme Patriota

It did the second time I installed it, but this third time it didn't so I did a fresh install. Strange about the installation is that the partition manager only creates primary partitions.

On 4 April 2011 00:39, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Guilherme Patriota

<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:

> The second time I managed to uninstall it, but not in the first or third

> time I've installed it.

Doesn't this work?

# yum remove kmod-catalyst

--

Suvayu

Old 04-04-2011, 04:01 AM
suvayu ali

Please don't top post. Responding to such posts is very cumbersome.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Guilherme Patriota
<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 00:39, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Guilherme Patriota
>> <guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The second time I managed to uninstall it, but not in the first or third
>> > time I've installed it.
>>
>> Doesn't this work?
>>
>> # yum remove kmod-catalyst
>
> It did the second time I installed it, but this third time it didn't so I
> did a fresh install.

You don't give enough information. What do you mean by it doesn't work?
Is there any error? If so, what is it? Do you mean that your system
tries to use the catalyst drivers after the uninstall? If so, are you
rebooting after you make the change?

How do you find out what driver you are using, are you using the usual?

# lsmod | grep -i 'fglrx|radeon'

> Strange about the installation is that the partition
> manager only creates primary partitions.

I believe if you choose custom layout it will let you partition your
disks however you wish to.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Guilherme Patriota

Hi

After I installed kmod-catalyst, I did a reboot and after Fedora loads (after the F completes the loading, after ATI Daemon loads ) it hands the boot process and X won't boot.

I'm not using any graphic card driver besides Fedora's integrated ATI driver.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Guilherme Patriota

Please don't top post. Responding to such posts is very cumbersome.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Guilherme Patriota

<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 April 2011 00:39, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Guilherme Patriota

>> <guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The second time I managed to uninstall it, but not in the first or third

>> > time I've installed it.

>> Doesn't this work?

>> # yum remove kmod-catalyst

> It did the second time I installed it, but this third time it didn't so I

> did a fresh install.

You don't give enough information. What do you mean by it doesn't work?

Is there any error? If so, what is it? Do you mean that your system

tries to use the catalyst drivers after the uninstall? If so, are you

rebooting after you make the change?

How do you find out what driver you are using, are you using the usual?

# lsmod | grep -i 'fglrx|radeon'

> Strange about the installation is that the partition

> manager only creates primary partitions.

I believe if you choose custom layout it will let you partition your

disks however you wish to.

--

Suvayu

Hi

After I installed kmod-catalyst, I did a reboot and after
Fedora loads (after the F completes the loading, after ATI Daemon loads )
it hands the boot process and X won't boot.

I'm not using any graphic card driver besides Fedora's integrated ATI driver.

And no, custom layout wasn't able to create logic partition, at least using the xfce live cd. I've read some users using gparted cd and then install fedora into these partitions.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:25 PM
suvayu ali

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:50 AM, Guilherme Patriota
<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 04:01, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Please don't top post. Responding to such posts is very cumbersome.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:56 PM, Guilherme Patriota
>> <guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > It did the second time I installed it, but this third time it didn't so
>> > did a fresh install.
>>
>> You don't give enough information. What do you mean by it doesn't work?
>> Is there any error? If so, what is it? Do you mean that your system
>> tries to use the catalyst drivers after the uninstall? If so, are you
>> rebooting after you make the change?

You did not mention the exact problems you faced while uninstalling. Are
the drivers you are using the RPMFusion packaged drivers or is it the
.run binary package available from ATI. I would recommend trying the
former.

>> How do you find out what driver you are using, are you using the usual?
>>
>> # lsmod | grep -i 'fglrx|radeon'
>>

> After I installed kmod-catalyst, I did a reboot and after Fedora loads
> (after the F completes the loading, after ATI Daemon loads ) it hands the
> boot process and X won't boot.

As far as I am aware of, there are no ATI daemons. I think its atd (if
so, its not related to graphics).

Now as for your graphics, you can try booting to runlevel 3 and starting
X with startx. Then you will able to see where it goes wrong. You can
also look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log for any errors. You could post the
relevant lines on the list or if they are a lot, you can post it on some
paste bin and put the link in your message.

> I'm not using any graphic card driver besides Fedora's integrated ATI
> driver.

Why are you trying the catalyst drivers? As far as I recall your card is
supported by the radeon drivers (default Fedora driver for ATI cards).
Are there any problems? I use a dual monitor setup with my HD 4870 with
radeon drivers. They are very stable.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Guilherme Patriota
<guilhermeptrr@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 April 2011 04:01, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I believe if you choose custom layout it will let you partition your
>>> disks however you wish to.
>
> And no, custom layout wasn't able to create logic partition, at least using
> the xfce live cd. I've read some users using gparted cd and then install
> fedora into these partitions.

I think that is not because of the fedora installer. It is a limitation
of the live CDs. The partitions/filesystems it can make has to be
compatible with the system on the live CD. I don't know the subtleties
about the limitations though.

--
Suvayu