Old 04-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

Default Font in firefox; now uses tahoma?

It looks like a recent update to wine installed a wine-tahoma-fonts
package. Now a lot of web sites are using tahoma by default instead
of my preferred font, liberation sans. I could remove the tahoma
package, but yum also wants to remove wine-fonts, which might be bad.
Does anyone have a solution for firefox? Maybe an entry in
userContent.css? Or should I just go ahead and remove the wine font
packages? TIA.

Reid

Old 04-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Steven Stern

On 04/03/2011 11:41 AM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> It looks like a recent update to wine installed a wine-tahoma-fonts
> package. Now a lot of web sites are using tahoma by default instead
> of my preferred font, liberation sans. I could remove the tahoma
> package, but yum also wants to remove wine-fonts, which might be bad.
> Does anyone have a solution for firefox? Maybe an entry in
> userContent.css? Or should I just go ahead and remove the wine font
> packages? TIA.
>
> Reid

In FF, PREFERENCES -> GENERAL lets you set fonts.

--
-- Steve

Old 04-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Steven Stern
<subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 11:41 AM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>> It looks like a recent update to wine installed a wine-tahoma-fonts
>> package. *Now a lot of web sites are using tahoma by default instead
>> of my preferred font, liberation sans. *I could remove the tahoma
>> package, but yum also wants to remove wine-fonts, which might be bad.
>> Does anyone have a solution for firefox? *Maybe an entry in
>> userContent.css? *Or should I just go ahead and remove the wine font
>> packages? *TIA.
>>
>> Reid
>
> In FF, PREFERENCES -> GENERAL lets you set fonts.

Hi Steve. Unfortunately, a lot of web pages set their own fonts, and
it seems many request tahoma before falling back on something like
generic sans. If I disallow web pages to choose their own fonts, then
my setting will take effect, but I'm afraid a lot of web sites will be
ugly with my chosen font. If I could somehow map tahoma to liberation
sans, then I think the problem would be solved....

Reid

Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Reid Rivenburgh <reidr@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 12:36 PM, Steven Stern
> <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:
>> On 04/03/2011 11:41 AM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>>> It looks like a recent update to wine installed a wine-tahoma-fonts
>>> package. *Now a lot of web sites are using tahoma by default instead
>>> of my preferred font, liberation sans. *I could remove the tahoma
>>> package, but yum also wants to remove wine-fonts, which might be bad.
>>> Does anyone have a solution for firefox? *Maybe an entry in
>>> userContent.css? *Or should I just go ahead and remove the wine font
>>> packages? *TIA.
>>>
>>> Reid
>>
>> In FF, PREFERENCES -> GENERAL lets you set fonts.
>
> Hi Steve. *Unfortunately, a lot of web pages set their own fonts, and
> it seems many request tahoma before falling back on something like
> generic sans. *If I disallow web pages to choose their own fonts, then
> my setting will take effect, but I'm afraid a lot of web sites will be
> ugly with my chosen font. *If I could somehow map tahoma to liberation
> sans, then I think the problem would be solved....

I found one solution. If you install the Stylish extension and the
Font Styler script from userstyles.org, you can specify a global font
family (and size) to use for all sites. The script actually specifies
tahoma, which is exactly what I don't want, but I changed it to sans
and all seems to be well. (I also commented out the size spec since I
don't want to force all text to be one size.) Hope this helps
someone....

Reid

Old 04-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Alan Evans

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> I found one solution. *If you install the Stylish extension and the
> Font Styler script from userstyles.org, you can specify a global font
> family (and size) to use for all sites. *The script actually specifies
> tahoma, which is exactly what I don't want, but I changed it to sans
> and all seems to be well. *(I also commented out the size spec since I
> don't want to force all text to be one size.) *Hope this helps
> someone....

Just reading your description, I'm having trouble seeing how this is
different than just specifying the font in Firefox's preferences
dialog, which you said you didn't think would do the right thing
globally.

I'm only asking because I just now noticed that Facebook looks suddenly hideous.

-Alan

Old 04-05-2011, 12:17 AM
Peter Oliver

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:

> It looks like a recent update to wine installed a wine-tahoma-fonts
> package. Now a lot of web sites are using tahoma by default instead
> of my preferred font, liberation sans. I could remove the tahoma
> package, but yum also wants to remove wine-fonts, which might be bad.

You can disable these fonts without uninstalling them by placing the following in /etc/fonts/local.conf or ~/.fonts.conf:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<selectfont>
<rejectfont>
<pattern>
<patelt name="file">
<string>/usr/share/fonts/wine-tahoma-fonts/tahoma.ttf</string>
</patelt>
</pattern>
</rejectfont>
</selectfont>
<selectfont>
<rejectfont>
<pattern>
<patelt name="file">
<string>/usr/share/fonts/wine-tahoma-fonts/tahomabd.ttf</string>
</patelt>
</pattern>
</rejectfont>
</selectfont>
</fontconfig>

--
Peter Oliver

Old 04-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Reid Rivenburgh

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Alan Evans <ame.fedora@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM, Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
>> I found one solution. *If you install the Stylish extension and the
>> Font Styler script from userstyles.org, you can specify a global font
>> family (and size) to use for all sites. *The script actually specifies
>> tahoma, which is exactly what I don't want, but I changed it to sans
>> and all seems to be well. *(I also commented out the size spec since I
>> don't want to force all text to be one size.) *Hope this helps
>> someone....
>
> Just reading your description, I'm having trouble seeing how this is
> different than just specifying the font in Firefox's preferences
> dialog, which you said you didn't think would do the right thing
> globally.

I got thinking about that myself after, and I don't have an answer.
They may be the same exact thing. I can say that the stylish solution
does seem to work okay for the sites that I visit. If someone else is
having a similar problem, they may want to try the global override
option in the fonts dialog to see how that works.

Reid