Old 04-03-2011, 03:57 PM
Unknown

Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED ?

>> Of
>> course, you may not have room for a bigger desk, but IMO it's worth
>> considering.
>
> Very interesting.
>
> I guess I need to give this more thought. I am spending way too much
> time on this !

Dunno if this helps.
I have a Dell 24" wide and an AOC standard 18inch to it's left.
I do a lot of devel and art work on 2 drupal web sites which requires
at least 2 windows open for each and 3 if one counts ftp, 4 if one
counts cpanel and a lot of Newsletter work in Inkscape, Scribus, Gimp,
2 english and 1 Russian translation thereof and emails containing
tranlsated text. I find dual monitors essential because I have to
compare all or some of the above simultaneously across different media.
If I could run another one or two I'd be even happier.
One large monitor even with multiple desktops is far too limiting I
need to able to slide windows off to the side while still visible, it's
a massive benefit.

If your chair swivels as does mine the issue of a monitor off to the
side is less problematic because it's easy to rearrange work.
Roger

Old 04-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Linuxguy123

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 07:46 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 07:25 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> > I do a lot of photo editing and a screen that size would allow me to
> > view images in a large way and still have room for editing tools around
> > them. I find the 1680x1050 area on my 20 inch monitors limiting in this
> > respect.
>
> Normally, I don't see the point of having multiple monitors in Linux
> because so much of what you need them for can be done with multiple
> desktops on one screen. However, I can see where this is a special
> case, especially if you need to have two photos visible at the same time
> for comparison or copy/paste work.

I actually think that would be handled OK on one 2560 x 1600 monitor.
For me the biggest downfall of what I have now is that images viewed in
portrait mode in Digikam are pretty small. Part of that problem is
that my 20" monitors are only 1050 pixels high. Take off 400 pixels for
for upper and lower stuff bordering the image and you are left with 600
pixels or about 5 inches high on my displays and only a few inches wide.
(Maybe 6x4...) The image size will just about double on a 30" 2560 x
1600 monitor. Not so much on the 2560 x 1440, but it will be better.

> It seems to me, however, that the
> most cost effective way to get what you need is to buy a bigger desk
> that will accommodate two of the U2711 or U3011 units side by side.

My desk is wide enough to fit both, but I'll need to view one monitor
directly in front of me and have another to the side. That puts my
chair well off to one side and that is where the issues start.

I was also thinking 2 U2711s would be overkill. Not sure why... just
strikes me as being excessive. But I thought that too when I set up 2
20" monitors... hmmmm...