-   -   Brasero has lost its mind! (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/509345-brasero-has-lost-its-mind.html)

Mark LaPierre 04-03-2011 04:15 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On 04/03/2011 11:29 AM, Kalpa Welivitigoda wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Richard Shaw<hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've had the problem for some time where after burning the CD/DVD
>> get's mounted and then Brasero gives an error saying it can't eject
>> the disk. It wasn't effecting the burns so I ignored it.
>>
>> Today I tried to burn a CD ISO file (system rescue cd) and after a bad
>> burn I tried again. Now, even after a reboot, it calculates the
>> checksum and then ejects the blank disc.
>>
>> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
>> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
>> attention?
>>
>> Anyone else having issues?
>>
>> I know I can install k3b but brasero should work and I don't like
>> having to install all the dependencies (i.e. half of KDE) just to burn
>> a disc.
>>
> I do also have issues with Brasero. So I moved to K3B. Yep there's a
> lot of installation, yet it worth than working with Brasero sometimes.
> Alternatively you can use cdrecord in terminal, it takes some effort
> to read the man and get familiarized though.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Richard
>> --

I've also noticed that Brasero is not quite ready for prime time. I
have to shut it down after every burn to get it to correctly recognize
the next blank disk.

I have not found a way to change the order of tracks on a program other
than loading them in the correct order in the first place. That can be
very tedious if you have 15 tracks to load.

If you try to remove all the tracks from a burn list by selecting them
all with ctrl-a and then hitting the delete key all the tracks are
removed except the first track which can only be removed with the "-"
icon at the top of the page. It would be better if it was all or
nothing. If you can't remove them all with the delete key you shouldn't
be able to remove any of them that way. That's how Rhythmbox is set
up. Makes perfect sense and is consistent in its behavior.

There's probably a lot more "features" but I don't use it much so I
haven't tripped over them yet.

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****
--
Signature shamelessly copied from:
Jatin Khatri& geleem

JD 04-03-2011 04:17 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On 04/03/2011 08:23 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I've had the problem for some time where after burning the CD/DVD
> get's mounted and then Brasero gives an error saying it can't eject
> the disk. It wasn't effecting the burns so I ignored it.
>
> Today I tried to burn a CD ISO file (system rescue cd) and after a bad
> burn I tried again. Now, even after a reboot, it calculates the
> checksum and then ejects the blank disc.
>
> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
> attention?
>
> Anyone else having issues?
>
> I know I can install k3b but brasero should work and I don't like
> having to install all the dependencies (i.e. half of KDE) just to burn
> a disc.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
Well, try it the MANUAL way:

wodim -v -data dev=/dev/sr0 speed=2 fedoraxxxxx.iso

That's how I burned my F14 DVD iso, and it worked perfectly.

Tim 04-03-2011 04:41 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 10:23 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
> attention?

Ya'd think so...

> Anyone else having issues?

This is with ye olde Fedora 9, but I wonder if it still does the same
thing on the current versions:

Drag a pile of files into the window for creating a disc from them, and
start to burn your disc. It'll spend ages creating the image from the
files, then burn it.

Now try burning a second copy. It'll spend ages creating a new image
form the files, then burn that. It doesn't keep and re-use the image it
made before.

Yes, I'd checked appropriate options about doing that.

I really regretted installing Brasero. Because the previous burn disc
feature from within Nautilus worked far less painfully. But brasero
took over that.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Zoltan Hoppar 04-03-2011 04:43 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

HI Guys,

Read this to be enlightened:
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

Zoltan

2011/4/3 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>:
> On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 10:23 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
>> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
>> attention?
>
> Ya'd think so...
>
>> Anyone else having issues?
>
> This is with ye olde Fedora 9, but I wonder if it still does the same
> thing on the current versions:
>
> Drag a pile of files into the window for creating a disc from them, and
> start to burn your disc. *It'll spend ages creating the image from the
> files, then burn it.
>
> Now try burning a second copy. *It'll spend ages creating a new image
> form the files, then burn that. *It doesn't keep and re-use the image it
> made before.
>
> Yes, I'd checked appropriate options about doing that.
>
> I really regretted installing Brasero. *Because the previous burn disc
> feature from within Nautilus worked far less painfully. *But brasero
> took over that.
>

> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I
> read messages from the public lists.

PGP:* 06853DF7

JB 04-03-2011 04:51 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
> attention?
>
> Anyone else having issues?

Brasero has been erratic for a very long time.
Yes, just yesterday it refused to burn my CD-RW disc.
There was more to that because wodim in xterm failed too.
After a reboot, wodim succeeded.

JB

Bruno Wolff III 04-03-2011 05:00 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 18:43:30 +0200,
Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI Guys,
>
> Read this to be enlightened:
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

But be sure to take it with a big grain of salt.

Genes MailLists 04-03-2011 05:13 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On 04/03/2011 11:23 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> I've had the problem for some time where after burning the CD/DVD
> get's mounted and then Brasero gives an error saying it can't eject
> the disk. It wasn't effecting the burns so I ignored it.

I gave up on it too - it sorta worked sometimes but - k3b is much
better and far easier to use ...

no magic dynamic context sensitive GUI like gnome one .. you see all
options and pick what you want which is far simpler to use.

Bite the bullet - use k3b.

Tom Horsley 04-03-2011 05:16 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 09:17:52 -0700
JD wrote:

> wodim -v -data dev=/dev/sr0 speed=2 fedoraxxxxx.iso
>
> That's how I burned my F14 DVD iso, and it worked perfectly.

Really? I can't make wodim burn a good DVD at all, only
growisofs works for DVDs on my system.

Zoltan Hoppar 04-03-2011 05:17 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

HI Bruno,

Sure, but I think if I loose less hair and I could forget broken
unfinished writes... I don't care of this fighting theatre. However I
really would like to know the truth, and we have also libburnia
project. Still more users experimenting strange errors... then can be
true either.

Zotlan

JD 04-03-2011 05:28 PM

Brasero has lost its mind!

On 04/03/2011 10:16 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 09:17:52 -0700
> JD wrote:
>
>> wodim -v -data dev=/dev/sr0 speed=2 fedoraxxxxx.iso
>>
>> That's how I burned my F14 DVD iso, and it worked perfectly.
> Really? I can't make wodim burn a good DVD at all, only
> growisofs works for DVDs on my system.
Sorry to say so, but having problems with wodim
sounds a bit too weird :)

Wodim has never failed me!