Old 04-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Brasero has lost its mind!

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 19:17:55 +0200,
Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
> HI Bruno,
>
> Sure, but I think if I loose less hair and I could forget broken
> unfinished writes... I don't care of this fighting theatre. However I
> really would like to know the truth, and we have also libburnia
> project. Still more users experimenting strange errors... then can be
> true either.

There are several issues. There is the licensing, which could probably be
resolved. There is the security issue of not filtering scsi commands.
(I think I got burned by this, as I have an old DVD burner, that stopped
being able to burn CDs, but can still burn DVDs that changed around the time
that switch was made.) And there was (maybe still is, but I am not sure)
cdrtools obscure way of referring to devices by scsi ids instead of file
system paths. Plus, I get the impression that cdrtools is mostly a one man
show, and that isn't good for future proofing.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Bruno,

What do you suggest? Is it possible to replace completely the parts
with something else that's not this?

--
PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 04-03-2011, 05:47 PM
JD

On 04/03/2011 10:34 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 19:17:55 +0200,
> Zoltan Hoppar<hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> HI Bruno,
>>
>> Sure, but I think if I loose less hair and I could forget broken
>> unfinished writes... I don't care of this fighting theatre. However I
>> really would like to know the truth, and we have also libburnia
>> project. Still more users experimenting strange errors... then can be
>> true either.
> There are several issues. There is the licensing, which could probably be
> resolved. There is the security issue of not filtering scsi commands.
> (I think I got burned by this, as I have an old DVD burner, that stopped
> being able to burn CDs, but can still burn DVDs that changed around the time
> that switch was made.) And there was (maybe still is, but I am not sure)
> cdrtools obscure way of referring to devices by scsi ids instead of file
> system paths. Plus, I get the impression that cdrtools is mostly a one man
> show, and that isn't good for future proofing.
Were any of the software byJoerg Schilling released with the GPL license?
If not, then he has sole claim, no?
Also, many corporations reserve the right to withdraw their
product from the GPL license and make it proprietary again.
As much as we opensource fans would like it to be otherwise,
I think the owner of the source still at least retains intellectual
property rights, if not also distribution rights (if NOT released under
GPL).

Also, I was not pleased when Joerg required one to get a special license
token to burn a full DVD iso. But then, he produced it and had the right
to do with it as he pleased.

As far as using the "obscure way of referring to devices by scsi ids",
Did he not borrow that from Solaris? I thought his first release was for
Solaris.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 19:45:23 +0200,
Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bruno,
>
> What do you suggest? Is it possible to replace completely the parts
> with something else that's not this?

There isn't an easy answer.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 10:47:57 -0700,
JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> Were any of the software byJoerg Schilling released with the GPL license?
> If not, then he has sole claim, no?

I believe the original license was an MIT variant, but I am not sure.

> Also, many corporations reserve the right to withdraw their
> product from the GPL license and make it proprietary again.

When this happens the old code is still GPL (or whatever the original
open source license was, as the same applies) and development can continue
parallel to the original developer.

> As much as we opensource fans would like it to be otherwise,
> I think the owner of the source still at least retains intellectual
> property rights, if not also distribution rights (if NOT released under
> GPL).

The original developers would still have copyright and could restrict
distribution by others of either their new code or the old code in a
way that was not allowed by the original open source license.

> Also, I was not pleased when Joerg required one to get a special license
> token to burn a full DVD iso. But then, he produced it and had the right
> to do with it as he pleased.

Sure.

> As far as using the "obscure way of referring to devices by scsi ids",
> Did he not borrow that from Solaris? I thought his first release was for
> Solaris.

I believe so, but it was still obscure.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:25 AM
Chris Smart

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 1:23 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote:
> Brasero has been buggy for me (and apparently others, I've found) for
> a while. Shouldn't the default burning app for Gnome get a little more
> attention?

It's never worked properly for me, on any machine I've tried, since it
became the default.

K3b all the way.

-c

Old 04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
Tim

Tim:

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 18:43 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Read this to be enlightened:
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

An entirely different set of conditions to what I talked about (creating
the compilation to be burnt, compared to problems during burning).

I'd seen such arguments before. But the fellow did have a fit of pique
about it and people using it. And I was less than thrilled with him
turning it into crippled shareware, as far as burning some types of
discs with it was concerned. This is the wrong arena to try that lark.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.