FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Linuxguy123
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

I figured out what I am going to do.

I like the idea of having a huge monitor, ie the U2711 or the U3011
because of their pixel area. 2560 x 1440 and 2560 x 1600 respectively
ON ONE SCREEN.

I do a lot of photo editing and a screen that size would allow me to
view images in a large way and still have room for editing tools around
them. I find the 1680x1050 area on my 20 inch monitors limiting in this
respect.

However, I don't want to lose the handiness of dual monitor
functionality. Its really nice that in KDE each monitor acts as its own
desktop. I always have things running in my second monitor and its
extremely handy to have something open in a side monitor while working
on something in the main monitor, especially when cutting and pasting
between applications.

However, the U2711 and the U3011 are too large to have 2 such monitors
side by side. The 2711 is about 25 inches wide and the 3011 is 27.5
inches wide. My desk isn't wide enough to have 2 such monitors,
especially when I like one monitor to be directly in front of me and the
other monitor to be to the left, angled inward.

So... what I decided is to use one huge monitor for my main display and
a second, smaller monitor beside it, operating in a portrait
orientation.

The U3011 is 2560x1600. I already have a 20" Dell that is 1680x1050 and
nearly as wide as the U3011 is high.

If I rotate the 20 inch monitor to portrait orientation, I get 1050 x
1680, the length of which nicely matches the U3011's height ( ie 1680
pixels high versus 1600 pixels high) and the pixel pitch is pretty
similar as well.

The other nice issue about having the side monitor in portrait mode is
that the applications I run on the side (text editors, email clients and
word processors) make better use of portrait orientation than they do
landscape orientation.

Thus the two monitors combined will give me 3610 x ~ 1600 pixels.

The Linux code to do this is here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976120

I'll put my order in for the U3011 tomorrow.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On 04/03/2011 07:25 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> I do a lot of photo editing and a screen that size would allow me to
> view images in a large way and still have room for editing tools around
> them. I find the 1680x1050 area on my 20 inch monitors limiting in this
> respect.

Normally, I don't see the point of having multiple monitors in Linux
because so much of what you need them for can be done with multiple
desktops on one screen. However, I can see where this is a special
case, especially if you need to have two photos visible at the same time
for comparison or copy/paste work. It seems to me, however, that the
most cost effective way to get what you need is to buy a bigger desk
that will accommodate two of the U2711 or U3011 units side by side. Of
course, you may not have room for a bigger desk, but IMO it's worth
considering.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 03:17 PM
Ed Greshko
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On 04/03/2011 10:25 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> However, the U2711 and the U3011 are too large to have 2 such monitors
> side by side. The 2711 is about 25 inches wide and the 3011 is 27.5
> inches wide. My desk isn't wide enough to have 2 such monitors,
> especially when I like one monitor to be directly in front of me and the
> other monitor to be to the left, angled inward.

The size of the desk is irrelevant if you use VESA mounts. If you are
going to spend the money on the monitors...then a few extra $ on a nice
mounting platform is peanunts.

--
In this world there are only two tragedies. One is not getting what one
wants, and the other is getting it. -- Oscar Wilde 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北
市八德路四段

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Alan Cox
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

> The Linux code to do this is here:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976120

You should be able to do this without hacking config files, at least
providing your X server supports RandR as the recent ones do.

Alan
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM
Tim
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 07:46 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Normally, I don't see the point of having multiple monitors in Linux
> because so much of what you need them for can be done with multiple
> desktops on one screen. However, I can see where this is a special
> case, especially if you need to have two photos visible at the same
> time for comparison or copy/paste work.

Copy and paste could be useful, but comparison of two pictures on two
displays has this problem: If the displays are not producing an
identical response, and they won't be, you may produce errors in your
picture when your using one monitor and tweaking it against the picture
on the other. Just how close you can get two monitors to look the same,
for crucial comparisons, depends on the monitors.

This is a long standing problem in television production, and it takes
expensive, and identical model, monitors, and frequent re-alignment,
before you get them producing close enough similar pictures that you
don't get really annoyed about it. The long standing solution was using
monochrome preview monitors for your cameras, you only have two
variables with them (brightness and contrast), rather than set up and
gain of each colour, plus different phosphors in different monitors.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM
suvayu ali
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> The Linux code to do this is here:
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976120
>
> You should be able to do this without hacking config files, at least
> providing your X server supports RandR as the recent ones do.
>

To add ... AKAIK the newer display configuration tools are capable of
configuring this rather easily.

--
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Linuxguy123
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 10:52 -0700, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> >> The Linux code to do this is here:
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=976120
> >
> > You should be able to do this without hacking config files, at least
> > providing your X server supports RandR as the recent ones do.
> >
>
> To add ... AKAIK the newer display configuration tools are capable of
> configuring this rather easily.

Its not as simple as it first appears... I'll post a question on this in
a new thread in a bit.

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Linuxguy123
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On Mon, 2011-04-04 at 02:21 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 07:46 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > Normally, I don't see the point of having multiple monitors in Linux
> > because so much of what you need them for can be done with multiple
> > desktops on one screen.

Have you tried using a dual monitor setup. I find it indispensable.
Right now I am typing an email in my left display while watching a
download in the right one. Its not the same as having both windows in
one display, its better. For one thing, you never have to worry about a
window in one display covering up a window in the other display, even if
the other app does funny things with the focus.

> However, I can see where this is a special
> > case, especially if you need to have two photos visible at the same
> > time for comparison or copy/paste work.
>
> Copy and paste could be useful, but comparison of two pictures on two
> displays has this problem: If the displays are not producing an
> identical response, and they won't be, you may produce errors in your
> picture when your using one monitor and tweaking it against the picture
> on the other.

I fully agree with this. Comparing tweaked photos, especially for
things like white balance, has to be done on the same monitor. And its
really handy if they are immediately side by side or if the same areas
can be blown up and moved simultaneously. Digikam has a great tool for
doing this.


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

On 04/03/2011 12:31 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> Have you tried using a dual monitor setup. I find it indispensable.

*Shrug!* You find it indispensable, I find it a waste of money that I
have far better uses for. Of course, I'm not a graphics guy, I don't
work with things like that and I stuck with a CLI much longer than most
people because it did almost everything I needed back then the way I
wanted things done. If you prefer using two or more monitors, be my
guest; it's your box and your decision. Most of the time I simply stay
out of this type of discussion because I haven't any experience with
multiple monitors but in this case, I'd thought of something that might
have been a help.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM
Tim
 
Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ? SOLVED.

Joe Zeff
>>> Normally, I don't see the point of having multiple monitors in Linux
>>> because so much of what you need them for can be done with multiple
>>> desktops on one screen.

Linuxguy123:
> Have you tried using a dual monitor setup. I find it indispensable.
> Right now I am typing an email in my left display while watching a
> download in the right one. Its not the same as having both windows in
> one display, its better. For one thing, you never have to worry about a
> window in one display covering up a window in the other display, even if
> the other app does funny things with the focus.

I have, but I do find it a bit of an organisational pain. And some
things are far less than intuitive to use when their controls are on the
next screen. I've also had to deal with using two computers side by
side, and that was slightly less painful for some things. e.g. Web site
work, with editing on one, and checking on the other.

By the time you get around to playing with dual monitors, you might want
to consider if what you really want is one *HUGE* monitor with very high
resolution.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. I
read messages from the public lists.



--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org