Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Florian Ludwig

Default Screen goes black but set not to in preferences

Hi,

my laptop's (Thinkpad X201t) screen goes black if I don't use it for
some time (between 6 and 15 minutes). In the gnome power management
preferences the option "Put display to sleep when inactive for" is set
to never - for both "On AC Power" and "On Battery Power".

This also happens if watching a movie using totem.

If an external monitor is connected both screens go black but the
external one gets back on after like 3 seconds.

Video card:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

CPU model name:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU L 620 @ 2.00GHz

Package Versions:
xorg-x11-server-Xorg.x86_64 1.9.4-1.fc14
xorg-x11-drv-intel.x86_64 2.12.0-6.fc14.1
kernel.x86_64 2.6.35.11-83.fc14

I've tried setting some X.org config stuff I've found search the web
about this problem: (here quote from Xorg.0.log)
[ 51.714] (**) Option "BlankTime" "0"
[ 51.714] (**) Option "StandbyTime" "0"
[ 51.714] (**) Option "SuspendTime" "0"
[ 51.714] (**) Option "OffTime" "0"

But it seems nothing changed.

I am really happy for any pointers anyone can provide how to solve this.

Thank you in advance,
Florian

Old 04-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Joe Zeff

On 04/03/2011 07:02 AM, Florian Ludwig wrote:
> my laptop's (Thinkpad X201t) screen goes black if I don't use it for
> some time (between 6 and 15 minutes). In the gnome power management
> preferences the option "Put display to sleep when inactive for" is set
> to never - for both "On AC Power" and "On Battery Power".
>
> This also happens if watching a movie using totem.

How are the screen blanking options set in your screensaver? Totem can
be set to override the screensaver in full screen mode; have you checked
to see if it is?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
"compdoc"

>my laptop's (Thinkpad X201t) screen goes black if I don't use it for
>some time (between 6 and 15 minutes).

Some laptops have settings in the bios that you have to set separately from
the OS's settings.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Tom Horsley

On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:02:17 +0200
Florian Ludwig wrote:

> I am really happy for any pointers anyone can provide how to solve this.

As near as I can tell, you need to use all of belt, suspenders, duct tape,
and bailing wire to really turn off screen blanking.

1st check the screensaver. You may actually have two menu entries for screensaver,
one for gnome, and the other for the tradition X11 screensaver. Make sure they
are both turned off.

2nd check the power management options and tell it to never turn anything off.
If it is a laptop, you may need to fiddle both the on AC and on battery pages.

3rd run gconf-editor (which you may have to install) and go to the
key for /apps/gnome_settings_daemon/screensaver and uncheck the
option to start the screensaver.

4th write a bash script that runs these commands:

xset s off
xset dpms 0 0 0
xset -dpms

and add it to your startup scripts (make sure you
chmod it to be executable).

If, after doing all that, the screen still blanks, then there probably
is something in the BIOS you need to disable as well.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:10 PM
JD

On 04/03/2011 07:37 AM, compdoc wrote:
>> my laptop's (Thinkpad X201t) screen goes black if I don't use it for
>> some time (between 6 and 15 minutes).
>
> Some laptops have settings in the bios that you have to set separately from
> the OS's settings.

Also, check system -> preferences -> screensaver
and from that GUI, click on Power Management, which will pop another GUI
In the second GUI, if the "put display to sleep when inactive for:" is
set to NEVER
then your screen will not be turned off.
Also, beneath that is a check mark for
Dim display when idle. If it is checked, AND screen saver is set to
ACTIVATE after some time, then
the screen will be dimmed (not same as turned off).

Old 04-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 16:02 +0200, Florian Ludwig wrote:

> my laptop's (Thinkpad X201t) screen goes black if I don't use it for
> some time (between 6 and 15 minutes). In the gnome power management
> preferences the option "Put display to sleep when inactive for" is set
> to never - for both "On AC Power" and "On Battery Power".

Wasn't there a thread last week, or the week before, about Gnome taking
away your configuration options for the screen saver?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Florian Ludwig

On Sun, 2011-04-03 at 10:53 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Apr 2011 16:02:17 +0200
> Florian Ludwig wrote:
>
> > I am really happy for any pointers anyone can provide how to solve this.
>
> As near as I can tell, you need to use all of belt, suspenders, duct tape,
> and bailing wire to really turn off screen blanking.

Ouh, ... writing a little script that moves the mouse a pixel every 9
minutes sounds easier to me now. [0] But ...

> [...]
> 4th write a bash script that runs these commands:
>
> xset s off
> xset dpms 0 0 0
> xset -dpms
>
> and add it to your startup scripts (make sure you
> chmod it to be executable).

That did the trick! Thank you very much.

Florian

[0] http://xkcd.com/196/

--
Florian Ludwig <dino@phidev.org>