Old 04-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Michael Liendl

Default SSH Support on Remote Desktop Viewer

Hi,

I want to connect to my SSH server using the Remote Desktop Viewer on
Fedora. But when I go to "Connect" I have no option to choose "SSH" as
protocol. There is only "VNC" available. What can I do to enable this
option like it is on Ubuntu.

Best regards,
--
Michael

Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM
suvayu ali

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Michael Liendl <michaelliendl@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to connect to my SSH server using the Remote Desktop Viewer on
> Fedora. But when I go to "Connect" I have no option to choose "SSH" as
> protocol. There is only "VNC" available. What can I do to enable this
> option like it is on Ubuntu.

If you use remmina, you can choose VNC over ssh tunnelling from the
gui very conveniently.

--
Suvayu

Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Michael Liendl

Thank you. Looks like a good programm but it doesn't work for me: "VNC
Server closed connection"

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM, suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:02 AM, Michael Liendl <michaelliendl@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to connect to my SSH server using the Remote Desktop Viewer on
>> Fedora. But when I go to "Connect" I have no option to choose "SSH" as
>> protocol. There is only "VNC" available. What can I do to enable this
>> option like it is on Ubuntu.
>
> If you use remmina, you can choose VNC over ssh tunnelling from the
> gui very conveniently.
>
> --
> Suvayu

Michael Liendl

Old 04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Michael Liendl

Me again. I just figured out that there is a Fedora version of PuTTy.
Everthing works perfectly now. Thank you for your efforts!

--
Michael Liendl

Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/03/2011 05:46 PM, Michael Liendl wrote:
> Thank you. Looks like a good programm but it doesn't work for me: "VNC
> Server closed connection"
FWIW, remmina works just fine for me with ssh tunneling.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM
Suvayu Ali

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 11:52:22 +0200
Michael Liendl <michaelliendl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Me again. I just figured out that there is a Fedora version of PuTTy.
> Everthing works perfectly now. Thank you for your efforts!

I'm not following, why are you using PuTTy on Fedora? I thought it is
an ssh client for windows machines?

To use VNC over ssh tunnelling this is what I do:

1. Make sure a VNC server is running on the remote machine
$ vncserver <some_display> -geometry <resolution_I_want>
2. On the local machine I start remmina
3. Choose "VNC - Virtual Network Computing" as protocol
4. On the SSH tab, choose "Enable SSH Tunnel"
5. Specify the SSH credentials for the remote machine
6. On the Basic tab, provide the password for the VNC session on the
remote machine
7. Connect and work away

Which of these steps are you having problems with?

--
Suvayu