Old 04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Randolph Jones

Default internet connection fails

fc14 live cd installed on hd
net is dhcp; networkmanager sets nameserver
as dhcp provider.
occasionally cant find google.
adding isp nameservers to resolv.conf fixes this.
unfortunately, NM steps on this and rewrites resolv.conf
before shutdown.

how do I get the isp nameserver in the system permanently?

TIA
rfjones

Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 AM
JD

On 04/02/2011 01:18 PM, Randolph Jones wrote:
> fc14 live cd installed on hd
> net is dhcp; networkmanager sets nameserver
> as dhcp provider.
> occasionally cant find google.
> adding isp nameservers to resolv.conf fixes this.
> unfortunately, NM steps on this and rewrites resolv.conf
> before shutdown.
>
> how do I get the isp nameserver in the system permanently?
>
> TIA
> rfjones

I solved this by killing NM.
You might opt for a different solution.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 13:18 -0700, Randolph Jones wrote:
> fc14 live cd installed on hd
> net is dhcp; networkmanager sets nameserver
> as dhcp provider.
> occasionally cant find google.
> adding isp nameservers to resolv.conf fixes this.
> unfortunately, NM steps on this and rewrites resolv.conf
> before shutdown.
>
> how do I get the isp nameserver in the system permanently?

The true solution is to configure your DHCP+DNS server to work properly.
Either fixing its DNS server issue, or telling your DHCP server to
provide the clients with a different DNS server address that works.
It's the problem, so it's got to be in your solution.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.