Old 04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

Default QR code login through GDM?

On Sat, 2011-04-02 at 22:20 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Right now I'm designing an ID card for ambassadors (but hopefully not
> only for them), what we could use not just for nameplate. I really
> would like to have to add somekind of open authentication possibility
> with the ID card - and use it up as extra info if I would like to
> provide my personal business ecard to the user phone. But however, if
> that's possible - not only with that feature. I thought that QR code
> can be used for identification, but yeah, high risk with precious data
> content.
> If anybody has a good idea to this card - don't hesitate to share it.

You don't give a full description of what you want to do, but I hope you
aren't thinking of using the QR code for authentication. Anyone can
photocopy it, besides which, the point of a business card is to hand out
copies to people.

Assuming that's not the idea, exactly what *is* the idea?

poc

Old 04-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Konstantin Svist

On 04/02/2011 04:36 PM, Patrick Kobly wrote:
> Now... I could imagine a use for this tech for auth. With a mobile device, you could create a soft token - where the qr code changes frequently - like with a securid. Maybe even as part of a challenge response scheme - where the challenge is displayed to the mobile device as a qr code and the device displays the response as a qr code. I am unaware of anything existing that does this. But I certainly wouldn't see a static printed qr code as useful for AuthN in just about any scenario.

I was thinking of the same thing until I saw OP mention it will be on ID
cards.
If it were on a cell phone, one could type in a PIN to make it somewhat
more secure (otherwise copying the QR-generator program would be too easy)

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 AM
Bill Davidsen

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 23:15 +0100, Sam Sharpe wrote:

>>> The question would be even simpler if you didn't use obscure acronyms.
>>
>> I think you are showing your age here...
>>
>> QR Codes are not particularly obscure:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code - You've probably seen them
>> around, you just didn't know what they were called.
>>
>> Those of us with modern Cell Phones will find these partilcularly
>> familiar... they are certainly in common usage in the Tech community.
>
> Of course I've seen them. I only vaguely remember what they're called,
> and that they are probably going to disappear in favour of NFC (see
> recent news from Google, which has stopped supporting them). However I
> parsed the phrase as "(Cam and QR) code" which doesn't mean anything. I
> sit corrected, but I still say it's better to aim for clarity,
> especially when you're asking for help.

I am still not sure you know what QR codes are, they are images which can be
printed on visual media and displayed on any visual media from newspaper to cell
phone. NFC is a complex EM protocol requiring a lot more hardware to handle. I
somehow can't imagine NFC coupons in my (paper) junk mail, magazines, etc.

NFC supposedly will compete with credit cards, but I'm really doubtful about how
I would send NFC to or from a vendor for mail order, so I think the niche is
quick pay like the Mobil swipe key fob.

We might see QR replacing bar codes, but I'm not sure there's really an
advantage there, either. For login, they are pretty easy to copy, so might be
less secure than swipe cars or RFID devices. Good if generated by a one time
key, though.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>