FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

I've bought this graphics card and it hangs my Fedora 14 system right at the
point where it switches to graphics mode. I wonder what I am missing because my
alternative system Fedora 12 on the same hardware works beautifully.

I've found that ATI has issued a driver, Catalyst, for the card. Am I supposed
to download and install this driver?

--
Erik
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 15:18:05 +0200,
"Erik P. Olsen" <epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've bought this graphics card and it hangs my Fedora 14 system right at the
> point where it switches to graphics mode. I wonder what I am missing because my
> alternative system Fedora 12 on the same hardware works beautifully.
>
> I've found that ATI has issued a driver, Catalyst, for the card. Am I supposed
> to download and install this driver?

That's an rv830 based card which is fairly new to getting support in the open
driver. Possibly in F12 the system was falling back to the vesa driver and
in F14 the radeon driver is trying to use it but is broken. It might be worth
trying an F15 live image
(http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2967483&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110401.17-i686-Live-desktop.iso)
to see if things are likely to work when F15 is released. If not, your best
short term option might be to try to use the catalyst driver in the
RPMFusion repos. If it does work in F15, we are about two weeks away from
the Beta F15 release and changes in the branched release should start
being a lot more conservative.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-02-2011, 08:17 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On 02/04/11 16:26, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 15:18:05 +0200,
> "Erik P. Olsen"<epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've bought this graphics card and it hangs my Fedora 14 system right at the
>> point where it switches to graphics mode. I wonder what I am missing because my
>> alternative system Fedora 12 on the same hardware works beautifully.
>>
>> I've found that ATI has issued a driver, Catalyst, for the card. Am I supposed
>> to download and install this driver?
>
> That's an rv830 based card which is fairly new to getting support in the open
> driver. Possibly in F12 the system was falling back to the vesa driver and
> in F14 the radeon driver is trying to use it but is broken. It might be worth
> trying an F15 live image
> (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/getfile?taskID=2967483&name=Fedora-15-Nightly-20110401.17-i686-Live-desktop.iso)
> to see if things are likely to work when F15 is released. If not, your best
> short term option might be to try to use the catalyst driver in the
> RPMFusion repos. If it does work in F15, we are about two weeks away from
> the Beta F15 release and changes in the branched release should start
> being a lot more conservative.
>
Thanks.

I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.

Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?

--
Erik
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Bruno Wolff III
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 22:17:43 +0200,
"Erik P. Olsen" <epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
> F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
> on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.

Maybe, but I think for F14 experimental was just for Nouveau. In F15 that
subpackage doesn't exist.

> Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?

I am not sure. It's not just support but also level of support. Some of the
newer cards have kms and not much else in the latest kernel. I am not sure
how much support the rv8xx stuff has right now and back in 2.6.35. I think
that group of chips was called evergreen and you could search for that.
Fedora also may have backported support for those cards. It could also
be a quirkiness of your particular model of card or a driver bug that affects
your card. (For example on my old rv280, I need to disable AGP to get it
to work reliably. I didn't used to have to do that but some bug got introduced
around 2.6.37 that gave me grief.)
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On 02/04/11 23:32, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 22:17:43 +0200,
> "Erik P. Olsen"<epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
>> F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
>> on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.
>
> Maybe, but I think for F14 experimental was just for Nouveau. In F15 that
> subpackage doesn't exist.
>
>> Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?
>
> I am not sure. It's not just support but also level of support. Some of the
> newer cards have kms and not much else in the latest kernel. I am not sure
> how much support the rv8xx stuff has right now and back in 2.6.35. I think
> that group of chips was called evergreen and you could search for that.
> Fedora also may have backported support for those cards. It could also
> be a quirkiness of your particular model of card or a driver bug that affects
> your card. (For example on my old rv280, I need to disable AGP to get it
> to work reliably. I didn't used to have to do that but some bug got introduced
> around 2.6.37 that gave me grief.)
>
As you said, the experimental driver didn't help. Next try will be catalyst.

--
Erik
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Vaclav Mocek
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On 04/03/2011 03:57 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 02/04/11 23:32, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 22:17:43 +0200,
>> "Erik P. Olsen"<epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
>>> F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
>>> on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.
>> Maybe, but I think for F14 experimental was just for Nouveau. In F15 that
>> subpackage doesn't exist.
>>
>>> Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?
>> I am not sure. It's not just support but also level of support. Some of the
>> newer cards have kms and not much else in the latest kernel. I am not sure
>> how much support the rv8xx stuff has right now and back in 2.6.35. I think
>> that group of chips was called evergreen and you could search for that.
>> Fedora also may have backported support for those cards. It could also
>> be a quirkiness of your particular model of card or a driver bug that affects
>> your card. (For example on my old rv280, I need to disable AGP to get it
>> to work reliably. I didn't used to have to do that but some bug got introduced
>> around 2.6.37 that gave me grief.)
>>
> As you said, the experimental driver didn't help. Next try will be catalyst.
>
I had no success with V3800 and F14 livecd, the proprietary driver
works nicely in RHEL 6.0. I like this card, better than stock gaming
cards (OpenGL, OpenCL).
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-04-2011, 09:55 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On 04/04/11 22:19, Vaclav Mocek wrote:
> On 04/03/2011 03:57 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
>> On 02/04/11 23:32, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 22:17:43 +0200,
>>> "Erik P. Olsen"<epodata@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I've found that on F12 I have mesa-dri-drivers-experimental installed whereas on
>>>> F14 it is "only" mesa-dri-drivers. I've now installed the experimental version
>>>> on F14 and will change graphics cards tomorrow. Maybe this will solve my problem.
>>> Maybe, but I think for F14 experimental was just for Nouveau. In F15 that
>>> subpackage doesn't exist.
>>>
>>>> Is any doc available listing which cards are supported by the two mesa drivers?
>>> I am not sure. It's not just support but also level of support. Some of the
>>> newer cards have kms and not much else in the latest kernel. I am not sure
>>> how much support the rv8xx stuff has right now and back in 2.6.35. I think
>>> that group of chips was called evergreen and you could search for that.
>>> Fedora also may have backported support for those cards. It could also
>>> be a quirkiness of your particular model of card or a driver bug that affects
>>> your card. (For example on my old rv280, I need to disable AGP to get it
>>> to work reliably. I didn't used to have to do that but some bug got introduced
>>> around 2.6.37 that gave me grief.)
>>>
>> As you said, the experimental driver didn't help. Next try will be catalyst.
>>
> I had no success with V3800 and F14 livecd, the proprietary driver
> works nicely in RHEL 6.0. I like this card, better than stock gaming
> cards (OpenGL, OpenCL).

Catalyst drives this card with F14. Not exactly nicely since I get this "AMD
unsupported hardware" watermark. But mostly it's nice and fast. Only
misbehaviour is when I watch video in 16 by 9 format then the area outside the
format is garbled (my monitor is 4 by 3) but I can live with that.

My only concern is that AMD wont synchronise their driver with fedora so I hope
mesa-dri-driver will pick up this card soon.

--
Erik
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Michael Cronenworth
 
Default ATI FirePro V3800 question.

On 04/04/2011 04:55 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Catalyst drives this card with F14. Not exactly nicely since I get this "AMD
> unsupported hardware" watermark. But mostly it's nice and fast. Only
> misbehaviour is when I watch video in 16 by 9 format then the area outside the
> format is garbled (my monitor is 4 by 3) but I can live with that.
>
> My only concern is that AMD wont synchronise their driver with fedora so I hope
> mesa-dri-driver will pick up this card soon.

You should add your comment to the AMD bugzilla[1].

[1] http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=41
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org