Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Aaron Gray

Default F14 server

On 2 April 2011 00:24, Steven Stern <subscribed-lists@sterndata.com> wrote:

On 04/01/2011 06:03 PM, Aaron Gray wrote:

> Someone said not to use F14 for servers. What is the reasoning of this

> if it is true ?

> Surely with SELinux its going to be more secure than other distros ?

> Many thanks in advance,

> Aaron

As has been said, if you're going to do a production server that will

live more than a year, you'll probably want to use CentOS, not Fedora.

Keeping Fedora up to date and "production quality" is just too much work.

If it's a server you're running for yourself, then go for it.

Yes, I have run FC4. and FC5 for several years, then FC10 on two mirrored servers, for several more years.

No complaints in all that time, very good up times.
Aaron

Old 04-02-2011, 03:41 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 00:03:46 +0100,
Aaron Gray <aaronngray.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone said not to use F14 for servers. What is the reasoning of this if it
> is true ?

Because of Fedora's short life cycle there is a lot more work to maintain
than some other Linux distros.

> Surely with SELinux its going to be more secure than other distros ?

Other distros use selinux. And there is a lot more to managing security
than selinux.

Fedora is fine for a hobby user who wants to play with the latest and greatest
on their server. It probably is not a good choice for an organization to
use for their servers.