Old 04-01-2011, 08:49 PM
mike cloaked

Default xxxx Now Gnome Shell is ...

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Tom Horsley <horsley1953@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:57:14 -0400
> Genes MailLists wrote:
>
>> Wayland (plus) has a decent shot of being a good future
>
> >From what I've heard about wayland it is 100% open GL and
> has abandoned ordinary X. That isn't going to be very useful
> at all for folks who do most of their work talking
> to remote X servers since remote GL stands no chance
> of being anything other than a total slug.

I heard that the Wayland developers were working on a method of
achieving remote graphical working, that would be more efficient than
pixel scraping and passing stuff down the network, so more efficient
than VNC - and essentially only pass the commands needed to generate
the graphics locally - so the local machine renders locally what the
remote machine is displaying - but someone with more knowledge will
perhaps confirm this?

--
mike c

Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Alan Cox

> >From what I've heard about wayland it is 100% open GL and
> has abandoned ordinary X. That isn't going to be very useful
> at all for folks who do most of their work talking
> to remote X servers since remote GL stands no chance
> of being anything other than a total slug.

Remote GL does not need to be a slug but Wayland doesn't try to address
that problem anyway. Wayland is just a glorified compositing engine with
some very clever design so it spends its time compositing not copying
crap around.

There are lots of ways clients may approach remoteness - including using
X protocol

Alan