-   -   xxxx Now Gnome Shell is ... (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/508666-xxxx-now-gnome-shell.html)

Genes MailLists 04-01-2011 07:57 PM

xxxx Now Gnome Shell is ...

On 04/01/2011 03:41 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
ou may not be all that happy with XFCE either, if what you really want is
> GNOME-2. I don't know where to go after fc14, what I want is GNOME-2, and that
> isn't happening, Fedora developers drank the kool-aid and not only gave up the
> far more usable GNOME-2, but also the Fedora theme, replacing with the GNOME-3
> prison bars theme.
>
> It's been a good ride, but unless a better WM comes along fc14 is the final
> destination.

Wayland (plus) has a decent shot of being a good future ... but its a
tad early still. Even tho its been cooking for a couple of years, its
only 1 course at the moment and the veggies aren't done yet either :-)
and dessert is a ways away ...

In the meantime, have you tried KDE - curious what your impressions
are of that ?

Its also possible gnome 3 will evolve to something more palatable for
you.

Tom Horsley 04-01-2011 08:33 PM

xxxx Now Gnome Shell is ...

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 15:57:14 -0400
Genes MailLists wrote:

> Wayland (plus) has a decent shot of being a good future

>From what I've heard about wayland it is 100% open GL and
has abandoned ordinary X. That isn't going to be very useful
at all for folks who do most of their work talking
to remote X servers since remote GL stands no chance
of being anything other than a total slug.

Joe Zeff 04-01-2011 08:34 PM

xxxx Now Gnome Shell is ...

On 04/01/2011 12:57 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> In the meantime, have you tried KDE - curious what your impressions
> are of that ?

Years ago, I knew I'd probably have to decide on either Gnome or KDE, so
I examined both of their websites. Gnome's was full of details about
what they were doing, what improvements they'd recently made and where
they were heading. KDE's was nothing but advocacy. I sent their
webmaster a polite email, pointing this out and asking for reasons,
other than advocacy, to try KDE. What I got in reply was more advocacy
without any attempt to tell me *why* KDE was so good or why I'd like it.
I went with Gnome and, until recently, never looked back. I've seen
KDE in action a few times on LiveCDs. I didn't like the default look
and feel and never felt comfortable enough with it to try to customize it.