Old 04-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Default QR code login through GDM?

Hi Guys,

The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
and QR code?

Cu,

Zoltan

--
PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 04-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 21:02 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
> and QR code?

The question would be even simpler if you didn't use obscure acronyms.

poc

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Sorry.

I would like to use ID card's with QR code - and I would like to know
that is it possible to use as login possibility with the integrated
camera?

Thank you,

Zoltan

2011/4/1 Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 21:02 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
>> and QR code?
>
> The question would be even simpler if you didn't use obscure acronyms.
>
> poc

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 04-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Alan Cox

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:55:54 +0200
Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry.
>
> I would like to use ID card's with QR code - and I would like to know
> that is it possible to use as login possibility with the integrated
> camera?

If you write PAM modules for it yes - you can authenticate against
anything you code for.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/modules.html

(all user space it just happens to be on kernel.org)

Alan

Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 1 April 2011 20:43, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 21:02 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
> > and QR code?
>
> The question would be even simpler if you didn't use obscure acronyms.

I think you are showing your age here...

QR Codes are not particularly obscure:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code - You've probably seen them
around, you just didn't know what they were called.

Those of us with modern Cell Phones will find these partilcularly
familiar... they are certainly in common usage in the Tech community.

--
Sam

Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 23:15 +0100, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> On 1 April 2011 20:43, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 21:02 +0200, Zoltan Hoppar wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
> > > and QR code?
> >
> > The question would be even simpler if you didn't use obscure acronyms.
>
> I think you are showing your age here...
>
> QR Codes are not particularly obscure:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QR_code - You've probably seen them
> around, you just didn't know what they were called.
>
> Those of us with modern Cell Phones will find these partilcularly
> familiar... they are certainly in common usage in the Tech community.

Of course I've seen them. I only vaguely remember what they're called,
and that they are probably going to disappear in favour of NFC (see
recent news from Google, which has stopped supporting them). However I
parsed the phrase as "(Cam and QR) code" which doesn't mean anything. I
sit corrected, but I still say it's better to aim for clarity,
especially when you're asking for help.

poc

Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Patrick Kobly

I would be curious here as to why you would want to use a mean of authentication that at best is as secure as requiring your users to write their passwords on sticky notes stuck to their monitors...

PK

Old 04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi Patrick,

Right now I'm designing an ID card for ambassadors (but hopefully not
only for them), what we could use not just for nameplate. I really
would like to have to add somekind of open authentication possibility
with the ID card - and use it up as extra info if I would like to
provide my personal business ecard to the user phone. But however, if
that's possible - not only with that feature. I thought that QR code
can be used for identification, but yeah, high risk with precious data
content.
If anybody has a good idea to this card - don't hesitate to share it.

Thanks,

Zoltan

2011/4/2 Patrick Kobly <patrick@kobly.com>:
> I would be curious here as to why you would want to use a mean of authentication that at best is as secure as requiring your users to write their passwords on sticky notes stuck to their monitors...
>
> PK
>

> On 2011-04-01, at 1:03 PM, "Zoltan Hoppar" <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> The question is simple: is there any possibility to use login with Cam
>> and QR code?
>>
>> Cu,
>>
>> Zoltan
>>
>> --
>> PGP: *06853DF7
>> --

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 04-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Patrick Kobly

Just seems like a solution chasing a problem. For identification, sure a qr code might be ok... But then a username is ok for that purpose too. For authentication, though, it's generally inappropriate to use an easily duplicatable, static factor that has to be exposed during authentication (and potentially at other times).

Let requirements drive tech. Don't let tech drive requirements.

PK

Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Zoltan Hoppar

Do you think that *maybe* is there any open source authentication
possibility what can be utilised with the card? Like PGP signing for
files and mails, perhaps?

ZH

2011/4/2 Patrick Kobly <patrick@kobly.com>:
> Just seems like a solution chasing a problem. *For identification, sure a qr code might be ok... But then a username is ok for that purpose too. *For authentication, though, it's generally inappropriate to use an easily duplicatable, static factor that has to be exposed during authentication (and potentially at other times).
>
> Let requirements drive tech. Don't let tech drive requirements.
>
> PK
>

> On 2011-04-02, at 2:20 PM, "Zoltan Hoppar" <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Patrick,
>>
>> Right now I'm designing an ID card for ambassadors (but hopefully not
>> only for them), what we could use not just for nameplate. I really
>> would like to have to add somekind of open authentication possibility
>> with the ID card - and use it up as extra info if I would like to
>> provide my personal business ecard to the user phone. But however, if
>> that's possible - not only with that feature. I thought that QR code
>> can be used for identification, but yeah, high risk with precious data
>> content.
>> If anybody has a good idea to this card - don't hesitate to share it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Zoltan
>>
>> 2011/4/2 Patrick Kobly <patrick@kobly.com>:
>>> I would be curious here as to why you would want to use a mean of authentication that at best is as secure as requiring your users to write their passwords on sticky notes stuck to their monitors...
>>>
>>> PK

>> --
>> PGP: *06853DF7
>> --