Old 04-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Linuxguy123

Default OT: one huge monitor or 2 smaller or bigger ones ?

I run F14 KDE for a variety of tasks including writing documents,
managing email, browsing, purchasing, research, some software
development, simple administration, etc. I'm not a gamer.

I presently have 2 20" monitors on my desktop, each at 1680x1050, for a
total area of 3360x1050. My computer has a GeForce 8800M GTS video
processor.

For the most part it works fairly well, especially in KDE, with the way
it allows each monitor to be its own work space.

It has come to my attention that we have a surplus in our technology
fund.

If you were in my position, which monitor configuration would you
select ?

a) Stay with the 2 monitors I have. (2x 20 inch, 3360x1050 total area,
cost, $0)

b) Upgrade to 2 24 inch 1920x1200 monitors, like the Dell U2410 or
similar. (3840x1200, cost about $850)

c) Upgrade to 1 27 inch monitor, like the Dell U2711. (2560x1440, cost
about $850)

d) Upgrade to 2 27 inch monitors, like the Dell U2711. (5120x1140, cost
about $1700)

e) Upgrade to 1 30 inch monitor, like the Dell U3011. 1560x1600, cost
$1300)

How does one find out the pixel limit of a video card ?

Thanks

Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Andrew Haley

On 04/01/2011 05:16 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> e) Upgrade to 1 30 inch monitor, like the Dell U3011. [2]560x1600, cost
> $1300)

That's what I do. Good for photo editing too.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's an IPS monitor.

> How does one find out the pixel limit of a video card ?

The DVI interface maxes out at 2098 1311. To do better than that,
i.e. to drive the Big Dell, you need a "dual link DVI" video card.

Andrew.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Linuxguy123

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 17:38 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
> On 04/01/2011 05:16 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>
> > e) Upgrade to 1 30 inch monitor, like the Dell U3011. [2]560x1600, cost
> > $1300)
>
> That's what I do. Good for photo editing too.
>
> Whatever you choose, make sure it's an IPS monitor.

OK.

> > How does one find out the pixel limit of a video card ?
>
> The DVI interface maxes out at 2098 1311. To do better than that,
> i.e. to drive the Big Dell, you need a "dual link DVI" video card.

I had no idea about that. Thanks for sharing. How does this limitation
come about ?

My current machine has a HDMI port and a VGA port...

Old 04-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Andrew Haley

On 04/01/2011 06:44 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 17:38 +0100, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> On 04/01/2011 05:16 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
>>
>>> e) Upgrade to 1 30 inch monitor, like the Dell U3011. [2]560x1600, cost
>>> $1300)
>>
>> That's what I do. Good for photo editing too.
>>
>> Whatever you choose, make sure it's an IPS monitor.
>
> OK.
>
>>> How does one find out the pixel limit of a video card ?
>>
>> The DVI interface maxes out at 2098 1311. To do better than that,
>> i.e. to drive the Big Dell, you need a "dual link DVI" video card.
>
> I had no idea about that. Thanks for sharing. How does this limitation
> come about ?

It's the DVI clock speed, which is limited to a maximum pixel clock
frequency of 165 MHz. This works out at 2.75 megapixels at 60 Hz.

> My current machine has a HDMI port and a VGA port...

You can get dual link HDMI. It all gets a bit complicated because
HDMI 1.3 allows 340 MHz, so in theory a single HDMI link should be
able to drive that Big Dell -- but I wouldn't bet the farm on it
unless I'd made very sure that both ends support such a high clock
speed. The Dell web page doesn't say.

Andrew.