Old 04-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Linuxguy123

Default Paperless office... document management ? (High speed scanner)

So... our home office is growing and we are getting swamped by paper.
Invoices, receipts, billing records, printed correspondence, etc.

We are thinking of buying a high speed multi purpose
printer/scanner/copier/fax machine, specifically the Dell 3335DN. One
of its selling features is the ability to scan a stack of paper (via its
paper feeder) into jpeg or pdf format at speeds up to 25 pages per
minute.

While scanning most of the paper in our office will eliminate the
physical paper, how do we manage the documents once they are on a
computer ?

At the very least we need a way to search the generated documents by one
or more keywords. Thus far, the best solution I have come up with is to
put together a small database program using Open Office, like this:

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/tutorials/openoffice-org-base-no-frills-document-management/

However, it would be really nice to take it a step further and tie a
ToDo list and scheduler into the system and maybe even an accounting
system. Ie, we scan a receipt into the system and then enter the
accounting transaction for the receipt and tie the two together. Or
create a ToDo item with a link to the image of the document that needs
to be handled.

Has anyone done anything like this ? How should we proceed ?

Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Armelius Cameron

On Friday, April 01, 2011 11:58:10 am Linuxguy123 wrote:
> While scanning most of the paper in our office will eliminate the
> physical paper, how do we manage the documents once they are on a
> computer ?

With discipline

I have been doing something similar. I put the scanned documents (PDFs) the
same way you'd put the physical documents: into a set of directories
(folders). So I would scan a batch of document that would go into a directory,
say the bank statement from a certain bank, do a batch renaming to follow my
convention (e.g. bankname_MM_YYYY.pdf), and put them in the apropriate
directory. No need for complicated database. Then I'd do one at a time as new
document comes in say every month or so.

I can't search by keyword (that would need you to OCR the document, build a
searchable index, etc), but I know where I'd put anything on the directories,
so I never need to 'search'.

So I pretty much have paperless office. Some paper copies exist only for
redundancy sake; everything is on the hard drive on my home server, encrypted,
and backed-up to an off-site location daily. Another nice thing is I can access
any document I need from anywhere as long as there's internet connection.

> However, it would be really nice to take it a step further and tie a
> ToDo list and scheduler into the system and maybe even an accounting
> system. Ie, we scan a receipt into the system and then enter the
> accounting transaction for the receipt and tie the two together. Or
> create a ToDo item with a link to the image of the document that needs
> to be handled.

Some Todo list program allow you to attach / link a document to the item. KDE
korganizer can do that, for example.

AC

Old 04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2011-04-01 at 09:58 -0600, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> So... our home office is growing and we are getting swamped by paper.
> Invoices, receipts, billing records, printed correspondence, etc.

> While scanning most of the paper in our office will eliminate the
> physical paper, how do we manage the documents once they are on a
> computer ?

Don't forget to plan for contingencies.

I know of at least one business that only managed to stay in business,
when their computer system died, because they still did manual
invoicing. Without that, they wouldn't know who owed them money, or
vice versa.

Yes, backup, backup, and backup. But that doesn't do you much good if
you can't read the backup. And for some businesses, you need to always
know your state of affairs, the hours, or days, of waiting for the
backup to be resurrected could be deadly. Even more so, when people
foolishly romp into the back-up on a compromised machine, rather than
test the machine, or use a different isolated machine.

And what happens when you come into conflict with a client, or a
business that you're a client of, when original paperwork *needs* to be
presented? Whether that be to resolve the conflict directly, or in
court.

For myself, I buy and sell on paper, log things on the computer, and
just use the computer as the handy dandy record searching machine. I'm
reminded of the old advice for starting a business: Always pay by
cheque, you have the stubs as the start of your audit trail.

Some twenty years later, and I can't say that I'm swamped with
paperwork. A little disorganised, perhaps, but *far* less than one
filing cabinet full, and still 100% readable. I can't say the same for
various computer files that I've used in the meantime.

... We cut back on paperwork. Now we use A5 sheets of paper... ;-)

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.